Star Trek: Why Doesn't The Federation Have Cloaking Technology?

Discussion in 'Sci-Fi TV' started by The Walking Dickhead, Sep 6, 2016.

1. The Walking Dickhead

The Walking Dickhead orbiter of helion

24th century onwards, they have the technology to create apparently limitless virtual realities within holodecks. Why can't they use the same technology to create a virtual photonic reality outside the ships as viewed by other ships such as to make it look like the ship isn't there? Like noise cancelling ear plugs, only with space ships and light.

2. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Because the outside of the ship isn't located in a holodeck.

Also: it can be (and is most often) detected already with technology, which makes the use for a visual cloaking technique obsolete.

1 person likes this.
  3. deleted

deleted Visitor

The Treaty of Algeron has shaped the course of Federation relations with the Romulan Empire and dictated Starfleet's use of technology. The use of a cloaking device by a Federation starship is strictly prohibited by this treaty. Admiral Pressman attempted to circumvent this clause in 2358 with the test of an interphase cloaking device developed by Starfleet Intelligence aboard the U.S.S. Pegasus.

A treaty signed between the Federation and the Romulan Empire in 2371 waived the Treaty of Algeron and enabled the U.S.S. Defiant to install and operate a cloaking device. In return, the Romulans would receive all information the Federation obtained on the Defiant's voyages into the Gamma Quadrant, especially any information they found on the Dominion.

9 people like this.
  4. The Walking Dickhead

I forgot about those things.

They can at least make the ships look like they are not there when visiting pre-warp cultures.

The Voyager doctor once got beamed into space so I know this is technologically possible.

5. Asmodean

The technology that made that possible was not common knowledge in the federation. It came from the future and the doctor and that device were in the delta quadrant. But they could probably use that technology to their advantage when properly analyzed, I agree.

6. deleted

deleted Visitor

Here's a couple questions Ive thought of over the day..

If current modern science is increasing life expectancy. Why in the year 2300 haven't the people of Star Trek lived longer lives?..

Could they build a transporter so big that it could transport a spaceship to the other side of the Galaxy quicker than a wormhole?.

Assume male pattern baldness has been cured. Why is Picard bald?

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. The Walking Dickhead

Also Dr Zimmerman. Bald.

8. deleted

deleted Visitor

Isnt he a hologram?. Im not familiar with Voyager tho..

Found this cool picture of him.

[​IMG]

9. The Walking Dickhead

Yes, but his algorithm was designed by Dr Zimmerman who is a non-photonic lifeform and produced in his image. He appears in an episode around the 5th season.

Voyager was OK, got better when Jeri Ryan joined as Seven of Nine, she is a really great actress, and has nice jugs.

I gave up on DS9 and Voy 20 years ago, just revisiting them both from where I left off. Gave up again on DS9 as it's a total bore a fuck and none of the cast can act for shit.

I'm now working my way through Enterprise, since Discovery will fill the gap in the timeline between that and the OS. Enterprise is the tits, best series since TNG. Actors, characters are all good. You don't have to try to like it like you have to with DS9 and Voyager. Shame they only gace it 4 seasons really, I'm enjoying it a lot more than I thought I would.

10. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

I think the average life of humans is 125+ years from TNG on.

Depends. The transporter doesn't actually "transport" the person, but reconstructs them at the destination (I think), so how much energy and matter would need to be used to do it?

Because humans have evolved past such petty ego crap like "baldness"........[​IMG]*yeah, right*

11. deleted

deleted Visitor

Why cant the transporter transport a weapon on to an enemy ship? Instead of firing a torpedo, beam it on board. if the shields were down I suppose.

Something happened to the transporter turning Picard, Guinan and two other into children. Ferengi hijack the Enterprise..
    While the transporter malfunction brings light to the theory of turning people young again with their memories intact. They learn how to reverse it. But if that's so, they can control the experiment that the malfunction was and do it over and over. But would people want to be turned back into adolescents. Picard points out, he could attend academy, go exploring, even become an admiral .. That's something to think about.

12. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Because it's all fake...

13. The Walking Dickhead

They did that in an episode of Voyager, to defeat the Borg if I remember correctly.

1 person likes this.
  14. The Walking Dickhead

No it just hasn't happened yet.

15. Asmodean

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  16. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Uncut digital remastered original Star Trek series marathon to begin on BBC America tonight at 8:30.

1 person likes this.
  17. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

Ro Laren was one of them. I can't seem to remember who the fourth one was.

18. deleted

deleted Visitor

Was the oriental women that's married to chief O'Brien. Keiko Ishikawa.. had to look it up.

Ive been unable to watch Enterprise, however Ive seen a couple. Id probably like it. TNG probably my favorite series so far. DS9 wasnt that great. But I did enjoy the Ferengi bartender Quark. Odo was neat .. Jadzia Dax the trill was hot.

19. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

There are ways around treaties like having Klingon allies.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAGGEw4TcFY

Hotwater

1 person likes this.
  20. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Sigh, the upcoming trek series next year

is ANOTHER FRIGGIN PREQUEL!!!!

I only just found this out

Why do they keep doing prequels? across all genres they hardly ever work