Star Trek Into Darkness

Discussion in 'New Movies' started by Shale, May 17, 2013.

1. Shale

Shale ~

Star Trek Into Darkness
    Movie Blurb by Shale
    May 17, 2013

This is going to be a very brief blurb because I don't want to spoil it for the Trekkers by telling too much. Most others who haven't seen every TV ep and every Trek movie will miss some of the reference that this second movie of the rebooted TOS makes to themes and scenes in those movies.

So, I'll just mention that all our beloved characters from the 2009 movie are in this one and they get fleshed out a bit more as the younger versions in an alternate universe.

Capt. Kirk (Chris Pine) is still bedding every humanoid species in the galaxy (A literal ménage à trois with two cuties with tails in one scene) and Spock (Zachary Quinto) is still having an affair with Uhura (Zoe Saldana) tho they are having difficulties because of Spock not being emotionally into their relationship.

Uhura & Spock Being Professional
    [​IMG]

Anyhow, the Enterprise family is back together - having little peculiar family conflicts like Kirk violating the Prime Directive to save Spock's life and Spock reporting him for it. Starfleet removes Kirk from command and puts Capt. Pike (Bruce Greenwood) back on the Enterprise.

Kirk Pike Talk
    [​IMG]

But we know that won't be the end of it, even in an alternate universe. There is a very tuf villain, John Harrison (Benedict Cumberbatch) who declares war on Starfleet.

John Harrison
    [​IMG]

Pike brings Kirk back as his First Officer to go after this guy who is hiding out in a remote part of the Klingon Empire. (Remember, this is when the Federation and Klingons were about to go to war).

Among the crew from the last movie is a new member, Science Officer Carol Marcus (Alice Eve) who of course catches Kirk's attention. Hmm, wonder if that could ever lead to anything?

Carol Marcus& Kirk
    [​IMG]

What I can tell you without giving away any surprises is that there is action from the first scene like Raiders of the Lost Ark, with natives chasing Kirk and Dr. McCoy (Karl Urban) and a fist fight on top of a flying truck. There are space battles where the Enterprise, outmatched by a superior vessel, takes some hull breaches and ppl go off in space. There is even a domestic squabble between Spock and Uhura on an away mission with Kirk caught in the middle. And, if that is not enuf comic relief there is always the Tribble.

I did enjoy this movie - but I am a Trekker who is just glad to get back aboard the Enterprise with family. If you don't know the first thing about the Star Trek history you can also enjoy this movie as a space action adventure flick that it is - just perhaps not as much.

2. skitzo child

skitzo child PEACEFUL LIBRA

Star trek is the shut thanks man

3. Shale

Shale ~

3-D IMAX

I read that this movie was filmed with IMAX cameras so today decided to make an outing to see it in 3-D IMAX. This means a half-hour bus ride to Aventura and a long walk in that sprawling mall but it was like an adventure.

The last movie I saw in 3-D IMAX was Avatar, which only cost me $10. I was surprised (and pissed) to see that this movie cost me $15.25, but I was already there so paid up.

However, have to say it was worth it - the detail of the IMAX is so much more, it was like seeing a different movie. Things that I don't recall seeing yesterday on a regular screening were visible today, such as approaching windows on spaceships from outside and seeing ppl inside.

The closeups were so close you could see every whisker that was just a coloration before and pores were visible. It was as if you were standing a foot away from a person.

I recall having these same feelings about seeing Avatar in 3-D IMAX. So, this may be my new luxury on those few movies that warrant such expense, which was $20 total for my outing today (or as Spock would say $19.25).

Again, I really liked this movie. Laughed anew at the funny banter between Uhura & Spock & Kirk in the shuttle ride and teared up again at a couple of poignant moments.

4. jmt

jmt Ezekiel 25:17

same thing here shale. my friend dragged me out to the imax and come to find out that at sunset place imaxs 17 dollars!!! paid it and then saw one of the most amazing movie I seen in years. the movie was strong as a whole had everything ajd the 3d graphics where amazing.

am actually planing on seeing it again!

5. Shale

Shale ~

Yep, same here. At least another time. If it's still running at the end of June I will probably see it again in Missouri with my sister.