Star Trek: Favorite Captain

Discussion in 'Sci-Fi TV' started by Frogfoot, Jan 8, 2011.

1. Manservant Hecubus

Manservant Hecubus Master of Funk and Evil

Still waiting to see more of Capt. Sulu of the Excelsior

2. falconer

falconer Member

Picard was the most awesome. Kirk wasn't far behind, though.
    Remember in First Contact when Picard snaps and smashes the glass display case? I friggin love it!

Archer should have stayed lost in time...

3. Justin_Hale

Justin_Hale ( •_•)⌐■-■ ...(⌐■_■)

That was epic!

4. falconer

falconer Member

Another great Patrick Stewart moment was not as picard, but his role in Dune. He friggin ripped that spacey sitar!

5. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

BBC America has been showing a lot of Star Trek TNG recently and reminds me just how good that series was under the leadership of capt picard :2thumbsup:

hotwater

6. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I haven't seen TNG in like ten years. I would certainly like to watch that series again :p Also, according to this poll it seems Archer is quite forgetable. I thought it was a cool character and good captain but yeah when we have to pick one I'm not picking him. He was not awful at all though.

7. Justin_Hale

Justin_Hale ( •_•)⌐■-■ ...(⌐■_■)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14L2tVYNPZg"]STAR TREK : AWESOME KIRK MOMENTS ''THEY'VE ALL BEEN ANSWERED'' - YouTube

8. fraggle_rock

fraggle_rock Member

I picked Kirk, but Picard is an extremely close second.

9. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

He tasks me... he tasks me and I shall have him! I'll chase him round the Moons of Nibia and round the Antares Maelstrom and round Perditions Flames before I give him up!

10. Manservant Hecubus

Manservant Hecubus Master of Funk and Evil

It's getting old enough now that TNG gives you the same cheesy feel that the old Star Trek does. That first season is a little painful.

11. Asmodean

Yeah, I already noticed in a later rewatch of some episodes that the outfits, some hairdues and even the carpet (or what it looks like) in the Enterprise of TNG seem rather 90's to me :D Ah well, that's associations... But I guess some of the global morality/attitudes have become a bit cheesy too. I most likely will enjoy it again (but I have been dissappointed by rewatching childhood stuff that I thought was the shit again later as well ;))

12. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

I thought my Khan quote was pretty amazing. It should have gotten some love.

13. Asmodean

The word maelstrom did put me off :biggrin:

14. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

Aw come on! Maelstrom is a fantastic word!

15. Asmodean

Associations are a drag. But to be sure, I was just joking. I don't know where that guy is but I was finally getting used to him :)

16. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

Oh, lol. I didn't even realize you were referring to him.

17. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2018
  18. wooleeheron

wooleeheron Brain Damaged Lifetime Supporter

My father was a captain in the navy, and I'd have to say Janeway and Archer were the two most realistic captains. Kate Mulgrew played Janeway on Star Trek Voyager and is a died in the wool Catholic who understands the role of a good leader from a more salt-of-the-earth perspective. Captains are responsible for both lives and expensive ships and cargo, but civilian captains tend to be more salt-of-the-earth and concerned about their cargo and crew, and Star Trek is supposed to portray the military of the future as playing much more of a humanitarian role and being less militant in general. Archer was supposed to be an engineer and a test pilot, with many captains and astronauts today being engineers, and his style of interactions with his bridge crew reflected his more relaxed civilian education and desire to be a scientist and explore. Military captains, tend to be stoic caricatures in comparison, sometimes only educated in military history and tactics, which are better suited for comic books than science fiction.

My brother in law earned a B.S. in English literature, just so he could join the Marines and pilot a helicopter. That's the modern reality of military life, where the piece of paper is often just a means to an end that has nothing to do with what you do for a living, other than, someone demands it. During the civil war, you could even buy your rank, because war is hell and anything goes in love and war, but that's not what Star Trek or being a captain is normally about. Today, the US aircraft carriers are usually the first to arrive on the scene after a disaster such as hurricane, and are perfecting the same technology for rescuing people that Star Trek predicted over half a century ago.

We are going to need it.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
  19. fraggle_rock

fraggle_rock Member

It's probably a tie between movie Kirk and TV Picard.
    TV Kirk was too corny and movie Picard was written like a bad copy of movie Kirk.

20. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Captain Lorca easily the hottest, even though I think Discovery was Star Trek on LSD

McFuddy likes this.