Star Trek: Favorite Captain

Discussion in 'Sci-Fi TV' started by Frogfoot, Jan 8, 2011.

1. Frogfoot

Frogfoot Member

Which captain is your favorite? Any particular reason? OK then, if you feel like it... engage!

2. easygoing

easygoing conservative jerk

Picard was my favorite captain, I'm not sure why.

Jainway was alright too.

3. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Janeway was my favourite.

Voyager my favourite series. Liked the matriarchal aspect of that series with the Janeway/Seven/Torres Combo. First Officer was a himbo and Tom was a unrespected player type early on anyway. It was the most chick friendly series

4. Duck

Duck quack. Lifetime Supporter

Picard. It seems to me he is the most full and rich character. Seems like someone I would like to know and would admire in real life.

5. WanderingturnupII

WanderingturnupII Grouchy Old Fart

Christopher Pike.

JPN2 likes this.
  6. Monkey Boy

Monkey Boy Senior Member

I voted Kirk, but it was really the teamwork between him, Spock and Bones that I liked.

7. Justin_Hale

Justin_Hale ( •_•)⌐■-■ ...(⌐■_■)

Captain Kathryn Janeway :love:

I didn't like her at first, then grew to love her.

8. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

Picard by a longshot

[​IMG]

9. skip

skip Founder Administrator

I didn't care for Picard much at first cause he was too uptight and cold. But of course he did win me over eventually with his maturity. How many times did you see Picard engage in fisticuffs compared with Kirk? That was often Kirk's solution to impossible situations, just start punching! BTW, love Shatner's new show... Shit my dad says! A perfect role for the curmudgeon.

I never could stand Janeway's cigarette voice, nor her granny hairstyle (same one my ancient Biology teacher had back in 1968). She ruined that show for me.

I also think Riker was a miscast. Not much of a personality. Data had more personality than Riker! Riker always walked and acted like he had a chip on his shoulder for no apparent reason.

10. djomalley

djomalley Fanch King

Picard.

He's smooth city. My mom used to watch Next Generation all the time and it was kinda 'our show'. Never been a big star trek fan though, and I wouldn't really know anything about it if wasn't her my favorite show when I was younger.

I've never really seen any other of the generations? besides 'Next Generation' except for a couple of episodes here and though of other seasons but it all seemed rather bland besides the very first one.

11. Justin_Hale

Yea, jeez I hated that show for I think the whole first season! But it grew on me as well in time. I was a diehard fan of the original series so it was hard to get used to.

Patrick Stuart is great! Riker got better, but he always seemed to have a stick up his rear. Data was great also. I loved it when Q gave him the laughs for a minute, lol.

I think Janeway captured my heart when she smiled to her future self while saying goodbye as she sent her off to destroy the borg so they could get home (I think it was 'End Game'). That was a beautiful smile!

Edit: Oh, and I think I know what Shatner show you are talking about. I only saw a couple of them, but they were funny! I haven't had a tv in over a year now. But I can still see some Star Trek on Youtube, thankfully!

12. def zeppelin

def zeppelin All connected

watchtrek.com/ THANK ME LATER :D

I love Trek... I even play Star Trek online every once in a while (lol, such a nerd). My favorite is easy... that's gotta be Picard. He really understands his crewmen and I never really saw him as cold, just a guy who cut through walls to get at the truth. He inspired the best and is very passionate and intelligent.

13. Justin_Hale

Khan had a ship too..

[​IMG]

If he'd had his own Star Trek series, it would have been a big hit, I think.

14. Terrapin2190

Terrapin2190 I am nature.

Picard, hands down. Mainly because his acting just seemed to radiate with leadership. The way he acted, the way he spoke. Plus, The Next Generation had some pretty trippy episodes and movies as well! I love Star Trek - Generations where Data got an emotions modification :lol: But yeah, Picard rocks. Star Wars sucks. haha :D

15. Frogfoot

Frogfoot Member

I almost included Pike in the poll! He does represent a lot of the ideal of star fleet personnel - crippling himself to save others, trying to stop Spock from putting his career at risk - self-sacrifice is Pike's way. I just watched The Menagerie ealier this evening... strange how the 2-parter repeats much of episode 1. Still, a great pair of episodes. It just seems strange that they'd repeat so quickly. Another thing, was Pike intended to be the captain of the Enterprise on the series? I've never heard of a series that leads off with something other than its actual cast of characters.

Anyway, I chose Janeway (now spelled correctly, at least here) because I ABSOLUTELY ADORE granny hair and gravily voices :). Beyond that, if any further reason was needed, there was the friction caused by the urgings to a scientist of scientific exploration in an unkown area and the bulldog tenacity employed while striving to leave that same unknown space that I appreciated. Oh I disagreed with so many of her decisions - and that makes for a good character! Even better, at times I came around to thinking that her choices were of an even higher quality than those flying about in the mind of Captain Frogfoot. Well, that's to say, I felt the decisions more on Voyager than I have in the other series. I do love them all though. There is just something about Star Trek that appeals to me... I think the series is centered on something of a hippie-friendly model. It premiered, at least, during the golden age. But I really don't know what I'm talking about. It's just how it's seemed to me.

16. LoneDeranger

LoneDeranger Trying to pay attention.

Picard - a man of reason as well as action. And he had an air of dignity that only Janeway came close to matching.

17. deleted

deleted Visitor

haha. I come back in to check see you included Pike..

18. skip

skip Founder Administrator

OOOOOOOHHH! Real Corinthian Leather!
    Buy a Cordoba! Yesterday's Car that looks like tomorrow's junk heap!

Adios Ricardo! I hope you're living on Fantasy Island now... Hi to the little guy!

19. Sam_Stoned

Sam_Stoned Senior Member

Picard. I only like next generation. And that empath chick in the spandex was my first TV love.

20. odon

odon Slightly Popular

Most of them thought they were in theatre.
    All a little too method for me.
    But, putting acting styles aside: Picard.
    Why? Because the actual series he was part of is my fave'.
    Good original stories that the following shows merely re-cycled.
    Janeway next. But yeah her hair and voice was slightly annoying (too much Shatner hand gestures too).