SSS news

Discussion in 'Communal Living' started by Selfsustaingsociety, May 5, 2007.

1. Selfsustaingsociety

Selfsustaingsociety Member

so here's the newest devellopments, we are still just a very few people trying to get this going looking for more people.

the plan was to start a co-op or to start a non-profit but there is too much red tape and not enough dedicated people in our group to really devote time to this. so instead of the co-op buying the land for the group the plan is to have someone buy it outright and then once the co-op is up and running to have it given/sold to the group for shares.

the good news is that I talked to the bank and they approved me for a loan to buy land. this means that I won't have to wait for other people to show up to start something. The short term goal is to have land by the end of this year.

I'll try and keep people posted. I also have a diary section on the SSS website if people want to read up what's been going on. The website is also being reorganised so it may be a little slow or hard to find it.

thanks for the positive thoughts.

2. Selfsustaingsociety

So after making a couple calls and taking the day off on monday I found a realtor that is known as "the Land guy". From the talk in the real estate community this guy knows lots of people and has lots of land.

So after talking with this guy he gave me directions to three places that I was interrested in that were already listed and informed me of another 5 or 6 that were not listed yet but that he knew the owners and thought some of them would be willing to sell.

Went to see five places and basically took all day. The place that really holds the most promise was really nice but a good chunk of it had been cleared and had been used as a field. It had a well and a machine shed. saw some dear tracks and a duck. the only real problem was the price. I can't permit myself to get a loan from the bank for that much, so unless the price drops or my investments do really good it's out of the question.

Parcel number two was pretty much just forest, some mature trees among bush, right in the middle of nowhere. couldn't see much as we didn't know where the property lines were and such and there was property beside it to possibly purchass and expand in the future. it was also right next to crown land which means fewer neighbors. I'm planning to go see that one again as the price was resonable and within easy reach.

the other properties weren't much to look at so it's between those two right now.

Hopefully in the next few weeks I'll be going to see more land and get more info on the ones we saw and have land purchassed.

3. wanderin_blues

wanderin_blues Banned

where in canada are you?

4. Selfsustaingsociety

MB, land that I'm looking at is in SE MB.

5. wanderin_blues

wanderin_blues Banned

cool, hope you find what your looking for :)

6. Vana

Vana Member

Things are on the move for you guys, then, huh? Just remember to give me a shout! I think what you guys are doing is good... I'll join you guys... I just need a place to crash. Once you guys got land and it's a FOR SURE thing, I can donate all the cash I have.

7. Selfsustaingsociety

I have a place to crash for people that are interrested in wpg already. We arn't wanting to take people's cash but if people are interrested in being members we may start selling shares to pay bills and taxes and such... that's a ways in the future and will depend on how many people are interrested and what consensus is reached.

Now to address the situation as far as news goes, there isn't much. realtor still trying to get me to buy a piece of land that is too expensive for what is there, and for location. still trying to find that rare gem without much luck in the hight of cottaging season...

more people seem interrested in what we are doing, but the we as in commited people is a really small group. this makes me sad but the people that are commited are really good people and a few more are starting to think about commitment a little stronger after talking to us and really getting an idea of what our aim is.

anyways just wanted to update people that we have not vanished but are flying beneath the radar, "society" keeps us struggling trying to get by and slows down our real progress.

8. Selfsustaingsociety

So after checking out the MLS a few nice possible properties have been placed on the market and at least 2-3 are in or below price range wich means I might buy two 80 acre parcels because finding something is getting harder to find. people keep subdividing their land and selling out to cottages. the funny thing is some cottage country homes are closer to their neighbors than city homes... makes me laugh and cry at the same time.

Anyways I took a day off and will try to go see two of the three parcels and maybe take a look at the out of the way one from last time. don't have the greatest feeling about this land I want to see as the description was sketchy but I'll never know unless I go out there and see for myself.

will post another update after looking just to let people know if there is a chance of getting land this year...

9. Zoomie

Zoomie My mom is dead, ok?

I strongly recommend that if you are going to sell shares that you incorporate. I know it's a PITA but those dull, ugly, little pieces of paper become much, much more important when someone thinks they are being taken away from them. I'm waiting to buy a share in an IC in WV but they have to get their paperwork together. Family or not, if I'm going to build a house there and develop agriculture and electricity production, I need to know that I'm not going to be summarily evicted at someone's whim.

10. Selfsustaingsociety

first off Zoomie, i agree 100%. that's why until we do have a legal structure no large sums of cash would chang hands. If people do spend time on the land and help out and want to give a little cash to help buy gas money for travel, or a 20 to pay electric or land taxes great. I would totally be pissed if I worked my but off and invested a big chunk of cash in an IC only to have them kick you off the land and keep everything. Do unto others type thing...

11. Selfsustaingsociety

Hey, so the real reason that I'm posting under this thread again is to say, as mentionned above, we're flying under the radar. I've been keeping an eye out for land in my pricerange and for the last couple of weeks have been shopping around.

I put in an offer for this 80acre parcel about 45-50minute drive east of winnipeg, and the offer was accepted. All this to say I now have land and thus WE HAVE LAND!!!

It aint the nicest peice of property, but it's on a dead end road with crown land on two sides, It has a well(needs to be flushed out and cleaned, also needs a pump...) electricity(was a bonus as I was looking forward to being off grid but it's there if we need it.) and a small cabin(4 walls and roof, I've seen bigger sheds...).

All this means more work for me, cause as promised I'll keep people posted on progress, post pictures and try and keep a diary of events posted on the website. Meetings with the other members. May take a few weeks to do any of that though. Got to meet with the realtor, bank, lawer, municipality... take posession...

12. ladybirdhawk

ladybirdhawk Member

That is GREAT news....glad that you have been able to find some land....have you posted it on your website as yet?

Looking forward to hearing more news as it progresses :)

13. Selfsustaingsociety

Hey here's a pic from the realtor's site.

14. tuatara

tuatara Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

way to go ,guy.........i'll wave when i go by winnepeg this fall on my way to work in oilberta for the winter.......glad to see you finally got something going

15. hippiehillbilly

hippiehillbilly the old asshole

dont you mean "you have land"?/

didnt you say you got fed up waiting on the others and purchased your land yourself??

yes my friend it is YOUR LAND.. ;)

be proud of it,no reason to give credit where credit isnt due...

16. Selfsustaingsociety

yeah, truthfully it's my land, but i'm letting the community use it. The we is there as the intent is still to build a community...

I get what you're saying though, and thanks

17. Vana

Vana Member

Hey, SSS :D I've turned a few people on in the few days to your site and ideas. Glad to hear about all the developments.

18. hippiehillbilly

hippiehillbilly the old asshole

yeah i think i know what your intentions were..its just that after reading your post in the other thread perhaps you should start to change your mindset somewhat and begin to let folks know that at least in the beginning you and you alone will have final say in who stays and who goes on the land. at this point,the decisions will be yours and yours alone..

that quite possibly could save you a lot of hassle in the coming months,or years ..however long it takes you to get up and running..

just some thoughtful advice.. ;)

19. oldwolf

oldwolf Waysharing-not moderating Super Moderator

LOL....and maybe SSS you should realize that this IS the school of hard knocks talking.
    You know from research and logic, you find the few not giving up because it does not happen, safeguard well their own sweat-equity from the hoards of takers out there.
    Yeah , please brother be forewarned.
    Homesteading is a good step forward while waiting for the next wave of risk-takers to develope....community is a very risky opportunity to say the least ... way over 90% that start down the road ever get to see it manifest.

And sometimes to make it happen you have to be the one happening....yeah damn, how true.

Go for it

Blessings

Namaste

20. zihger

zihger Senior Member

Living with people is hard and complex.

If you get too strict you will be all alone….

I have been on both side of the fence before owned my own place and supported a bunch of lazy hippies and lived at other peoples places that were boss and could bark orders and have the final say in everything.

Now I live my small family and enjoy public land, ahhh so simple.

But congratulations on your land have fun with it.
    Remember if it’s not fun what the fuck are you doing??