Spyware Problems?

Discussion in 'Computers and The Internet' started by DarkLunacy, Jun 2, 2004.

1. DarkLunacy

DarkLunacy Senior Member

If you use a PC and have spyware then I suggest you download Ad-Aware. Its free and does a kick ass job of cleaning everything up. This isn't spam is it? Its a free product and all and I just wanna help people out.
    http://download.com.com/3000-8022-10214379.html?tag=lst-0-1

Running this thing can clear up loads of problems on a comp. You'll be shocked how much crap is on there.

2. Maverick

Maverick Banned

It is a good program. I'll have to get it again.

3. xaosflux

xaosflux Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Nah it's not spam ;)

lavasoft is a good compnay that gives out a product for free!

4. rocknrolljunkie

rocknrolljunkie Member

I've got ad-aware and it works great.

5. MattInVegas

MattInVegas John Denver Mega-Fan

It's only SPAM if YOU make a profit from the post SELLING the product. Since that is Freeware? No problem.
    I have it too. Great program! Saves your butt!

6. Day Dreamer

Day Dreamer Member

Don't forget to click "update" everytime you run adaware. In addition to providing the best anti spyware program available for free, they also continually update against new types of spyware for free.

The people at Lavasoft have my seal of approval.

7. cortneycoxsucker

cortneycoxsucker Member

8. MaxPower

MaxPower Kicker Of Asses

I use Spybot, but since Ad-aware has Maddox's endorsement I'll give it a shot.

9. DiscoDawn

DiscoDawn Members

Adaware? I download that every time i frickin reformat the hard drive. I does nothing for me. All it tells me is what I infected with, it never fixes it. What good is that?

rertieoihhghjdfhgsjhfghghgrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!:mad:

10. AeonFlux

AeonFlux Member

McAfee is finally lowering the boom on Spyware..with Enterprise Antivirus8 comming out at the end of the month they are finally adding the spyware scan to the onaccess scanners. It has always only been available from the command line scanner.

11. AreYouExperienced

AreYouExperienced American Victim

Ad-aware is a great program, I recommend it to everyone I know who uses a computer.

12. Day Dreamer

Day Dreamer Member

step by step guide to using ad aware:

1) start adaware

2)Click Check for updates

3)Click Connect

4)click ok and finish

5)Click start

6)click next

7)wait for the scan to run

8) click next

9)right click on one of the boxes under "Object"

10)click select all objects

11)it will say 24(or whatever #) objects will be removed

12)click ok

13) Youre finished

14) do a jig

13. un1ficat10n

un1ficat10n Member

I work at a computer shop and 90% of computers come to the shop because of spyware. On the job we use Adaware and Spybot in combination. This solves most spyware problems. Occasionally some computers have something called Cool Web Search which is really bad and inbeds itself pretty deep into the operating system. Some nice person created a program to remove this particular one called CWShredder. It is also free. If you do a search from google for CWShredder, you will find it. Adaware and Spybot can be located free at download.com.

Peace,

14. mystik_lilac

mystik_lilac Super Moderator Lifetime Supporter

I'm using Ad-Aware, Spybot and pop up stopper. I keep getting pop ups though. I'm using Firefox, but the popups are popping through explorer. Am I missing something?

Oh and Nod32 AntiVirus.

15. Pellinore

Pellinore Member

Spybot s&d is great. But alot of spyware, backdoors etc, are packed with UD packers.. rendering them invisible for most anti-spyware software. Have a mix of different scanners, and keep them up-to-date. Ofcourse their are other ways to track and remove spyware.. ^^.

And don't underrestimate spyware, these days botclients and backdoors/rootkits are not only used for ddos'ing, they grant the remote admin complete controle over your computer. They can scan your register for game serials, or keylog your pc, you won't be the first one finding out your credit card is empty all of the sudden.

16. xexon

xexon Destroyer Of Worlds

If you don't have a firewall on today's internet, you're a sitting duck for all manner of infections.

I don't trust Microsoft to make a decent security product. I use Zonealarm Pro.

You can get a free version here:http://www.filehippo.com/download_zonealarm_free/

Turn off the Windows firewall (if it's running) prior to installing. Can't use two firewalls at one time.

If you upgrade to the pro version, it'll be the best money you'll ever spend on your computer. If you have a firewall that you can turn Java on and off with, you'll never have pop-ups again.

x

17. mystik_lilac

mystik_lilac Super Moderator Lifetime Supporter

Thanks a bunch. I think the zone alarm helped! Not having any more problems. It is my girlfriend's laptop and she had mcafee on it. But it had expired and I hated it. So I put nod32 cause I always like it on my pc. Couldn't figure out what was going on.

18. xexon

xexon Destroyer Of Worlds

The firewall will keep infections in your computer from communicating with their masters, but you still need to remove them. Use a one-two punch of Spybot and Adaware.

No one program gets them all.

x