Spur of the Moment- The Fair

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by AmericanTerrorist, Sep 6, 2013.

1. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

Yesss! :D

I actually kinda forgot about that song. Haven't heard it in a really long time. It reminds me of my childhood... I like it a lot.

2. Lynnbrown

Lynnbrown Firecracker

I used to love playing "Bridge Over Troubled Waters" by S&G (on the piano)...

I haven't been to the fair here since my son was in high school, so over 10 years. It costs anywhere from $7 to $15 just to park in a littlebitty parking space. (The jack asses that live near there LIVE for the fair week to make as much money as possible during that week. :p) Then it cost $10/person to get in and Godonlyknowshowmuch for each ride. The food cost as much as a movie theater. :eek: But it quit coming for a few years because they didn't rake in a gazillion dollars that week. anyway...

I LOVED reading about y'alls fair day! Like Heather, just reading about it made me smile. I'd bet your little boy will remember this day forever! :)

3. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

Do you still play any instruments? Bridge Over Troubled Water seems like it would be a good one to play, if you know what I mean... I used to love playing "The Long and Winding Road" on the flute... Actually, I still do... I pulled out my sheet music for that and my flute a few months ago, and... still got it. (it's a fairly easy one to play though.)

Anyways, thanks for saying you enjoyed reading about it. I enjoyed reading that.. made me smile. :D

Yeah, Cason loved it...and we get to go back the day it's totally free (instead of just a dollar like today- it was because it was opening day).... I think part of what made it special to Case and to myself today was it was totally spur of the moment. Literally thought about it, got myself ready, got him up from his nap and we left.

Oh... well, it's normally $8 for an adult to get into this fair... (kids under 4 are always free, so Cason is covered).... but the cool thing about it is there is almost always some way to get in for free or cheaper. Already mentioned today- then there are two days where you get in totally free (one of them all day.... the other from 4-6 pm) with one of your grocery store discount cards. Then there is pre-school day...parents with a preschooler w them get in for free.. and a day for veterans and students..free. And, hmm... oh, a day that if you bring your community corrier (do they have those things everywhere? lol... I have no clue..)- they are these discount restaurant coupons and such that come in the mail- you get in for free....etc.

Parking ... yeah, had to pay for parking. I parked in someone's front yard that was renting out spots for $3.00 and it was a half block away. So, not too bad really... You know how I mentioned having nice conversations with various people throughout the day? Well, the guy selling the spots was one of them... just very chatty- telling me about the giraffes and stuff this year, as they weren't there before and how the rides are all $1....and just talking about how we both love this time of year and stuff... but neways, yeah.

Oh and the rides... yes, they are usually expensive... but almost every other day you can buy a wristband and go on all the rides you want for anywhere from $9-$17- depending on who is sponsoring it.

But, today the $1 rides (per ride..not for them all, haha.... would be nice!) was nice for us because Cason doesn't like going on a lot of rides and I'm sure as hell not gonna be able to go on the adult/scary ones with Case with me... so anyways, we just did that huge Ferris wheel and it was nice... he liked it. I like places where you pay per ride... amusement parks that are like that- the only one I can actually think of is Knoebels.. in PA... have you ever heard of that place? I'm really wanting to go back there...prolly won't make it yet this year, so next year I wanna take Case there.

Wow... I just looked at that once I posted it and it's very long... oops! Feel a bit like I'm writing a book here... but I like talking to you.

4. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Marshall Tucker is going to be there on Thursday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FN3jI6lFmFQ"]The Marshall Tucker Band 1973 - Can't You See Live - YouTube

I went about 35 years ago and they had a real side show complete with the top block head in the nation who was also a contortionist, a snake women, etc. A couple tears later they were featured on TV in a documentary about side shows.

And here is one of the best Simon and Garfunkel songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPTOY8FrvNw"]Simon and Garfunkel - Old Friends - YouTube

5. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

Yeah....they have those there (the side shows)... I don't go in them though.

6. themnax

themnax Senior Member

anything that only costs a buck to get in, sure, i'd bring my camera and satisfy my curiousity. well i'd also bring my sonic screwdriver and psychic paper just in case.

i don't care much about rides. if they don't go anywhere i don't see much point in them. food booths are another matter, if they're not too expensive.

industrial and technology exibits are mostly what interest me, if they even have them any more. and the work of local artists.

i'll make one clockwise circuit of everything, say hi to the farm animals and if there's any kind of garden exibits i'll hang out there for a while. or architecture. that sort of thing.

i pretty much go places by myself. to see what's there, rather then who i'm with. but if anyone wants to tag along, as long as they don't try to be too annoying, that's ok too.