Sprouting Question!

Discussion in 'Cannabis Pests and Problems' started by Bob_Bong, Jan 1, 2005.

1. Bob_Bong

Bob_Bong Member

Hey guys! ok, i started germinating about 6 days ago, within 3 days i had my first sprout. 3 more days have passed and the first leaves are beginning to appear.. BUT.. i've noticed a kink in the stem of the sprout..(See Photo)

I've purchased some "no-damp" in hopes to prevent damping-off.. but is this kink damping-off? or is it just a kink in the stem? also, will i most likeyl lose this seedling?

Thanks for input!
    Bob.

2. GuySmiley

GuySmiley Member

The kink is nothing to worry about, the stretchiness of you stem is worth the worry. Get your lights closer so the plant doesn't stretch for the light.

3. Bob_Bong

Bob_Bong Member

Ok, i've actually removed the sprout from the rest of the germination group.
    out of 12 seeds that ONE was the first to sprout and grew very rapidly, so now i've removed it from the rest of the group and have it growing solo.

will the sprout continue to grow up . or will it now grow out, and get larger.. on the other hand i don't want to put a light to close in fear of cooking the top..

4. medicinalhydro2

medicinalhydro2 Member

If your under flouro lights, it is close to immposable to burn them with heat or "COOK" them as you say. They are just starting out. They will continue to grow upwards and will create Serrated looking leaves. The small round leaves will yellow and drop. I would use a skewer stick or a pencil so the stem can lean on it for support. Anyhow, When those serrated leaves start coming out, a node will appear just above the leafs stem at the base. These will become branches. There will be one on each side of the plants stalk, ie; north and south, East, and west. They will continue to do this until you decide how you are going to work with the plant. Some people do nothing, others top the shoots and create more tops, and yet some tie branches down and train them to grow in the posistions they want. DO NOT FERTILIZE for at least 3 weeks, or untill they have 3 sets of true serrated leaves. Your soil has enough nutrients in it... Good Luck. Keep us posted.

5. budfarmer

budfarmer Member

when you transplant into bigger pot you can bury the stem up to the round leaves, which will produce feeder roots

6. Bob_Bong

Bob_Bong Member

Here's an update on my little one.. she seems to have straightened up quite well. joined by 3 sisters now.. soon to have a family :)

this is alot more fun than a marine aquarium!

7. meangreen

meangreen Senior Member

What kind of light source are ya using,that sprout is hellaciously stretched.

8. GuySmiley

GuySmiley Member

Yeah...it's almost comical,hahaha!!! Better get some strength to it or it will fall over, from the weight of the leaves, and die by the 3rd set of good sized leaves.

9. heartsnotfarts

heartsnotfarts Member

yeah silly me i grew back in august under a halogen desk lamp. had seven plants and they were stretching, bit not that bad, especially on just getting 2nd/3rd leafs. i just hot glued popsicle sticks on the sides of the pot, put some strings on to hold them, white having a fan on the air outand kinda work the stems.

10. Bob_Bong

Bob_Bong Member

YA, out of the 4, it's the only one that has stretched like that, no idea why.. i'm using a compact flouro and i'm picking up 3 more soon...

"when you transplant into bigger pot you can bury the stem up to the round leaves, which will produce feeder roots"

is what's i'll probably do..

11. Bob_Bong

Bob_Bong Member

Week 2 For this sprout, transplanted a few days ago.. and she's been holding her own weight since then...

more to come in weeks!