spring

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by woodenfrog, Apr 17, 2007.

1. woodenfrog

woodenfrog Member

oh ya finnally got some spring weather here in zone 4.
    the plants are comin up,the garlic looks beutifull. the morells are startin to pop.
    loveing the sunshine
    sunshinney daydreams.
    have a great spring all you gardners
    lets here how your spring is goin.
    loven you
    wooden frog

2. themysterytramp

themysterytramp Member

spent the day weeding a huge long green corridor. huge blooming forsythias, and loadsa lovely looking dogwoods. first bout of hayfever but who cares, least im free from the city. mr blue sky is living here today :)

3. wanderin_blues

wanderin_blues Banned

right on! its getting springy here too :D:D:D
    garlics coming up, comfry too (wasnt sure it would)
    everythings in flats right now, im working on my beds and will plant some stuff very soon :)

4. freeinalaska

freeinalaska Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Here in zone 1 the only thing popping up is thawing dog poop emerging from the snow. No seriously things are coming up in the greenhouse and Saturday should be our first night that stays above freezing since September. The snow in about 75% gone and I should not have to heat the greenhouse at night much longer. Can't work on our beds yet since the ground is still frozen solid three inches below the surface. Our days are getting longer with 15 hours and 25 minutes between sunrise and sunset and gaining about 7 minutes a day. So begins out short and intense growing season.

5. PeaceLoveAndWeed

PeaceLoveAndWeed Member

Here in zone 9 i have already planted tomatos, in fact, I already have a couple green tomatos (better boy i believe) about the size of a golf ball. My snap dragons have bloomed and are now going to seed (which ill collect) My zinnias are starting to sprout today. My cucumbers havent done much. In about a week ill be enjoying some nice radishes fresh from the garden. And the cilantro is about a foot and a half tall (i planted it last fall) now i need to make some salsa to put it in!!!

6. Alaskan

Alaskan Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Here in zone 3,Seward, Alaska Hi Phil....
    We still have 3 feet of snow in the yard. The greenhouse is still being heated with an oil stove.
    Last nights low was just about the freeze point. Just had the oil tank filled today at the tune of $465. That must be love.......

7. dilligaf

dilligaf Banned

things be getting wound up here (zone 6 )as well, lost a bunch of stuff a week n half ago with the freak freeze and power outage in the night(most things in GH will need to be bought as plants now :( ) the rest of the stuff is getting ready to be planted... herbs are goin nuts though so will have plenty of them to dry n store this year..

8. amber

amber Member

We're in zone five and I'm still patiently waiting for spring. Unfortunately a bunch of our lil' seedling organic peppers/marigolds/morning glories got too cold in the house and died this week :( We heat with a woodstove and the temp varies too much I guess, plus I couldn't afford a germination mat. So.. I'm probably gonna have to invest in plants also... I want some warmth though! Come on sunshine!

9. homeschoolmama

homeschoolmama Senior Member

I'm on the border of zones 3/4 and all I've got so far is 2" phlox & lily leaves and one lonely purple crocus.

Oh, and the maple tree in my front yard has decided to create about a dozen suckers in my flower bed!

10. freeinalaska

freeinalaska Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Hi Dennis, Wow still that much snow. We had a low snow year so our break up, while still pretty cold, has been fairly mellow without all the mud we usually see. I hear you on the heating fuel, I had to actually buy a cord of wood to get by.

11. Alaskan

Alaskan Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Freein: Hi guy, been busy so havn't been on this site much.
    Yep, got an old Toyo laser 55 in the greenhouse. Have a wireless thermometer in the kitchen, so we can check on the temp in the GH without putting your boots on.
    Getting warmer, 48 today, snows going, muds coming.
    The oil stoves are easy to come by , since I'm the Toyo dealer here....Later....

12. Sea Breeze

Sea Breeze Member

Well over the pond on the West Coast of Scotland, spring is definitley here! Once the primroses come up and the honeysuckle starts so put thru new growth , it's a sign. Now the bluebells are coming up in the woods and it smells heavenly. The nettles are starting to come up, especially as we have had quite a dry spell which is surprising here. I went for a walk up the hill to gather nettle tips with Ree for soup and to dry for tea. On the garden front, the broadbeans we planted at Imbolic are doing great, the peas are coming through as are the shalotts and the garlic is going mad. All the herbs that got such a pruning in October are beginning to grown again. Rees garden is happening too.... There is blossom on the apple trees!! Lovely bumblebees too buzzin' around.