SPOILERS**Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows**SPOILERS

Discussion in 'Fantasy Books' started by mr.morrison, Jul 23, 2007.

1. gainer

gainer Member

I don't know if anyone has responded to this idea or the "perform magic later in life" thing so I will anyways.

I didn't hear that 'perform magic later in life' thing beforehand, but maybe she was talking about Dumbledore's sister? Or his brother? Or maybe she meant Neville performed magic right and at the perfect time for once.
    Harry's eyes being like his mother's was important I think because that's probably one thing that kept Snape helping him. Snape also asked Harry to look at him right before he died so that he could look at his eyes.

I LOVED this book. I'm glad Snape was good :) I knew it. I never expected anything that happened in the end. Everything that seemed obvious was just twisted around. I loved it and I'm sad its over. Surprisingly though the deaths of Fred, Lupin, and Tonks (though I loved all of them ): ) aren't what makes me the saddest. The one thing that makes me really sad is Snape's hidden lifelong love for Lily. I wish I could hug him ): To go all that time loving her, and then losing her to someone who constantly teased him, and then losing her completely because of her death, just makes me so sad. I cried at the part where Dumbledore saw Snape's patronum and knew it was the same as Lily's and asked him, "After all this time?" and Snape replied, "Always." ): That doomed love lingers over me even after the deaths have gone. I wish Snape had changed his Death Eater ways for her sooner. I'm glad he protected Harry all that time for her though.

And I would just like to add it took me about 14 hours to finish it [​IMG]

2. Morganna

Morganna Member

Happy belated birthday

3. xLEFTOVERCRACKx

xLEFTOVERCRACKx Member

When I finally finished the book (after reading for 2 days straight during my awake time), I felt as though I finally finished a long journey.

Snape was good, just that he was reluctant to show it. Like Dumbledore, he knew that showing any sign would possibly give him away.

The death that got to me the most was definately Dobbys. He was always a cheerful and mischevious (in a good way) character in my eyes. He would bring light in the darkest situations. I hated the way he was killed..by being stabbed by the character I hated only second to Voldemort. This contributed to the factor that I would've rather seen voldemort be beaten to death rather than just the killing curse backfiring on him.

4. Morganna

Morganna Member

I read books 5 and 6 in one sitting because I could, It took abt 8 hours a piece. I had to work over the weekend when this book came out so I finished on Monday after reading every break I had all weekend long and two hours before sleep.

5. natural philosophy

natural philosophy bitchass sexual chocolate

just finished it. the only deaths i was really upset about were lupin and hedwig. i thought harry should have died in the end, though. that would have made more sense to me

6. MindingMyOwnBeeswax

MindingMyOwnBeeswax Member

In Book 6 Dumbledore tells Harry he doesn't realize what a very special person he is ... 'cause when he looked in the mirror that showed what you most desired ... he saw himself with his parents. The power of love, what Harry had ... and Voldemort just couldn't fathom. And Harry looks at Dumbledore and wonders HOW the power of love is gonna save him from Voldemort ... but in the end it makes him walk to his "death" ... and saves the world...

7. gardener

gardener Realistic Humanist

The importance of Harry having his mother's eyes was that Snape could never forget who his mother was or who Harry was. It's what kept Snape true to his promise.

The magic and someone coming to it late in life, if you read the link to the interview JK says, she decided not to deal with it in later books. She's the author she has that right.

Out of curiosity in which book did she say that? I don't remember it.

8. gardener

9. MindingMyOwnBeeswax

the link doesn't work !

Think how Snape must have felt when he killed Dumbledore!!! too weird ... the idea of Dumbledore asking to be killed (when he "almost looks like he's begging" at Snape ... after being totally in control when facing the other Death Eaters) because he knows he is going to die anyway, and he is doing it for an earthly purpose, to make Voldemort trust Snape totally ... anyway, the idea of Dumbledore begging implies

Snape didn't want to do it ...
    Snape was having a hard time doing it ...

Can you imagine killing DUMBLEDORE? He was so great, so cool, so Merlin-ey, so wise, greatest hope of everybody ... and lovable, too! But Snape was on Dumbledore's side, goal to save the world from Voldemort and the Death Eaters! And what he did was actually an act of great loyalty.

10. gardener

11. MindingMyOwnBeeswax

Wow, I read through quite a lot of it, but it just kept on going! JKRowling really DID get a lot of feedback from US! FANS!:drool:, and sounds like she's actually carried through some of the future lives of the characters in her head.

I wonder if she'll start another series???? Almost seems it would be best to just quit now, when she's got a perfect score.

12. gardener

Yeah it was a great interchange, any true Harry Potter fan should read through it.

I think she's given her self an opening with the epilogue, but also a vacation. I think she deserves it.

She did good!

13. Samee

Samee Member

"Wasn't Mrs. Weasley marvelous when she went for Bellatrix? That's got be one of the most charged moments in the book (You don't mess with a kid when a good Mom is around.)"

That part was electrifying! One of the very few times JKR used a swear word. It was shocking that Mrs Weasley had used it, and at the same time shocking that JKR had. Coupled with the ensuing battle, it really was an adrenaline fuelled read!

"Not my daughter, you bitch!"
    Jets of light flew from both wands, the floor around the witches' feet became hot and cracked; both women were fighting to kill."

I especially love that last bit ^^ I read with tears in my eyes, like don't kill Molly! But go Molly!

I also love the bit where everyone is running into the Great Hall for the Last Fight, where all the House Elves come out, hacking at the Death Eaters shins, and Kreacher shouting "Fight for Master Regulus!"

It's just so heart warming that everyone is coming together to take out the evil.

And to the people who think the film will be good-it has alot of potential, but to cast a man who has never read any of the books to play Dumbledore is a crucial mistake. I think anyone who has read the books enough and understands his character would absolutely play a better Dumbledore than Michael Gambon. (nob.)

Now it's all over, I feel sad that there will be no more new adventures to look forward to, but I will definately be reading these books til I die :) And maybe even after then!
    "Death is but the next great adventure" after all.