SPOILERS**Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows**SPOILERS

Discussion in 'Fantasy Books' started by mr.morrison, Jul 23, 2007.

1. OctopusNightstand

OctopusNightstand Member

-When Snape dies and give harry his memories, "But this is touching, Severus," said Dumbledore seriously. "Have you grown to care for the boy, after all?"
    "For him?" shouted Snape.
    "Always," Said Snape.
    These are lines cut away from page 687 of the American edition of HP7 if you want the whole thing..

His eyes were full of tears! Doesn't sound that evil? Not good, but has some good in him.

Or was he saying he hates potter still, but loves the one whos patronus he mimics always... I dont know.

2. *Andy*

*Andy* Senior Member

I was thinking the exact same thing! But somehow, without even realising it, it all came together so perfectly :)

3. Barabajagal1967

Barabajagal1967 Member

snape was always one of my favorite characters he was just so cool

4. gardener

gardener Realistic Humanist

JK had a interactive web interview on the 30th, that speaks to a lot of the points all of you bring up. You may want to read the transcript.

http://www.the-leaky-cauldron.org/2007/7/30/j-k-rowling-web-chat-transcript

I think it was great. I was glad she didn't kill off Hagrid, but she explains in the interview why she didn't, which is great.

Snape was a good guy, flawed but over all redeemed through love. He was always hard on Harry, because he wanted more of Lily to be what Harry became, not more of James, because I think it makes it finally clear in this book, James what not all that nice a guy, and Harry could very well have developed more like him than this mother. Remember the detention Snape gave Harry in the last book of rewriting and organizeing the records of all those at Hogwarts that had done misdemeanors. Snape wanted Harry to recognize that his father also had flaws.

The bit in epilogue of this book where Harry explains to his son about the sorting hat. Your destiny has a lot more to do with personal choice than heredity.

I was also interested in the fact that his Aunt Petunia knew all about the magic world, and had at one time wanted to be part of it. It was one of many interesting facts that explained peoples behavior (like Dumbledor's family history), that makes this book a great one.

Hooray for Neville, he really is a stand up guy, that most people underestimate. But without him Harry could never have pulled the whole thing off.

5. Morganna

Morganna Member

Neat interview.

I've been following this series for 8 years and now I need something else to do so I quit dreaming of dead characters.

6. gardener

They are not dead characters anymore than Dumbledore was dead. They are only dead if you say they are. You can keep them alive as much as JK can. Your dreams should involve you much more than anything you read...how about focussing on your own life and those around you?

Tolkien and CS Lewis sent us characters we could identify with, what have we done with them. We allow ourselves to be sucked into new wars in order to enrich the pockets of a few. Guess we haven't learned anything. You can't always be lead...sometime you will have follow your own destiny.

Our world is now involved in world where anyone that espouses anything but a christian motive is seen as a radical, time to think for yourself are they really, or are you being manipulated. It's for you to decide. She gave you more than characters to think about. THINK!

7. pianoperson60

pianoperson60 Senior Member

so, what do you guys think was the saddest death in the book? and also, in the series?

Id say dobby was by far the saddest, he was just trying to save harry, and stood up to his old masters,saying he was a free elf...and then hes just killed....it sucked so bad. and also because it described his orb-like eyes and talking about his small crumpled body...hearing about small creautres being hurt makes me sad, so that did it for me...

as for in the whole series, id say maybe dobby as well, but also sirius, but i think sirius' death was sad mostly cuz of harrys reaction and in dumbledores office.

8. gardener

Snape's death. He lived his life for a "greater good", yet no one except Dumbledore was aware of it. He died without obvious honor, in order that the goal could be reached.

Certainly Dobby's death was sad, and he lived his life nobly.

9. Morganna

Morganna Member

Lupin and Tonks. You hear nothing of what happened they are just dead just like that.

10. gardener

Wasn't Mrs. Weasley marvelous when she went for Bellatrix? That's got be one of the most charged moments in the book (You don't mess with a kid when a good Mom is around.), that and Neville coming into his own.

11. hummblebee

hummblebee hipstertist.

Got to be one of the best line's in the book - "Not my daughter, you BITCH!"... lmao.

Definitely a big hand for Neville. :) I was so proud of him, all the way from when he came out of the portrait and Harry saw him for the first time! After all these years, it's about time his Gran noticed what a badass he really is!

12. gardener

I think his gran always knew. Neville wasn't really sure about himself, even though Dumbledore gave him credit from book one. I am glad Harry finally found enough confidence in him to trust him, otherwise things would have turned out really differently.

That does have to be one of the best lines ever...I agree.

13. gardener

I don't have the book with me anymore, but when she told everyone to back off this was her (Mrs. Weasley's) fight it was the best. She wasn't just everyone's mom anymore...she wasn't cooking and cleaning, she was protecting her young. She'd lost Fred, she wasn't going to lose another child, and that's something the dark forces will never understand. Beware a protective mom!

14. EMAT101

EMAT101 Member

i havent picked it up yet. is it worth reading?

15. gardener

Have you read any of the others...if so definitely! It's one of the best. Convoluted, complex, but yes worth reading.

16. Valdis

Valdis Member

I liked it. There was less formula and more action.

17. Freakymetalchik

Freakymetalchik BITCH.

It was good. I hated when Fred died was so sad!! :(
    And Snape was good, wtf?! Lol

18. lozzyjay

lozzyjay Member

i loved the ending, it was perfect I thought :)

19. Morganna

Morganna Member

I knew Severus was good. It was just too simple the other way. For some reason I felt like JK could never take the easy way, lol

20. gardener

I trusted Dumbledore's judgement, and he always maintained that Snape was on the good side. It was hard to continue to think that way when he killed Dumbledore, but she (JK) had an answer to that up her sleeve also.