SPOILERS**Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows**SPOILERS

Discussion in 'Fantasy Books' started by mr.morrison, Jul 23, 2007.

1. mr.morrison

mr.morrison Senior Member

idea came from sir robin in the main thread. this will be the thread for the biggest nerds of us to talk openly about the book.

DO NOT READ THIS IF YOU DONT WANNA BE SPOILED.

i just finished it 20 minutes ago and the book was good, i just think the ending was rediculusly corny.

2. moonshyne

moonshyne Approved by the FDA

I think that the most hardcore nerds have probably abandoned the hip forums and are waiting for the mugglenet forums to open back up.

One thing I'd like someone to explain to me.....back some time ago JKR announced that someone in DH would perform magic suddenly late in life. I read it once, and I've read several chapters again, and I've seen nothing of the sort. Does anyone know if maybe I'm just being a dumbass and missed it, or di she leave out that part?

3. Brand New Soul

Brand New Soul Senior Member

I just finished not to long ago and to prove my nerdyness i didnt do anything for 2 days but read.. I didnt want any one spoiling my read. And I must say I loved it I feel like I have lost something .. I know that is incredibly stupid and nerdy but I do. As for me I loved the whole thing. I found the begging to get some what repative while on the run.. but despite that loved it!!! <3

4. mr.morrison

mr.morrison Senior Member

yea i noticed that too, i diddnt read that anyone did that. also she said that his eyes being like his mothers was extremely important, but i diddnt find anything to significant about that either.

probably the death that shocked me the most was Crabbe. i really did not exzpect him to show up in the book, let alone die.

5. xLEFTOVERCRACKx

xLEFTOVERCRACKx Member

I liked when Harry thrash-talked Voldemort during the last battle.

6. jirachi_pt

jirachi_pt Member

Yeah yeah!, I didn't notice a 'magic later in life' thing either? What was that!?

But I loved this book; it's possibly my favorite--Loved King's Cross. Especially the last quote from Dumbledore.

My only dissapointment is Fred's death.. WHY!?!?! It really didn't seem necessary; maybe it's just because I'm not over it, but, uugh.... What do you all think?

7. supermommy

supermommy wannabe crackho

im not ashamed to say i cried like a big baby when he goes back in to talk to dumbledores pic...

8. dready_kolo

dready_kolo Banned

I loved the chapters about Snapes past, it was so sad when he died and he said "look at me!" to Harry because he wanted to see lilys eyes.

9. hummblebee

hummblebee hipstertist.

^^ I caught that, too. :)

I kinda expected one of the twins to die. I hate to say it, but for the purposes of the book (just because we never got to know them well enough) they had basically the same personality, so it was kinda like there was a "spare". And with SO MANY other people dying, more experienced witches and wizards from the order, etc. it would have been ridiculous to come out of the battle without a single Weasley family member (there were... nine of them fighting? not counting Fleur, of course...) dying.

I think I cried the hardest when Dobby died. :( Don't know why it effected me so much, because I should've expected that one too, but that whole scene digging his grave really got to me!

10. Morganna

Morganna Member

I sat stunned when I read about Remus and Tonks. It was presented so quickly I wanted to believe they really were sleeping until it was said again they were dead.

11. moonshyne

moonshyne Approved by the FDA

It was a shock for me when hedwig died. Boom, out of nowhere, just like that.

Her death and dobby's were probably the most heart wrenching...I mean, it sucked seeing Fred, Tonks and Lupin die, but by the time we got to their deaths it was kind of impersonal. You felt it when hedwig died. You might have cried over Dobby's tiny lifeless body. But as much as I loved Remus before, his death in the book just sort of felt robotic.....I guess it's because you didn't actually see him (or tonks, colin, fred) die, so you didn't picture their suffering or whatever they might have gone through. Or at least that's how it was in my case. And you knew we were gonna lose a weasley. The odds were against then, since they're like what, half the population?

I'll admit I'm a loser....I SOBBED during the graveyard scene in Godric's Hollow. The way it was worded, with harry thinking about how his parent's had died to save him and now here they were, lifeless, cold, unfeeling and unaware of all of their son's troubles. The books have always played up on the fact that Harry's an orphan, but it never seemed as big of a deal until I read that scene.

I'm still dissappointed that snape got taken out like a bitch. He was built up in the other books, and then the end of HBP....Craziness! I went into this book expecting big things from him, and all we got was a patronus, a memory, and an I-knew-this-was-coming love story. I'm not complaining though. I just wish we'd seen him a little bit more before he got got. [​IMG]

12. Morganna

Morganna Member

Funny, I predicted the Snape/Lily thing too, but I never thought she would actually do it. I oddly enough, loved the character Severus Snape. He was an outcast, like me. He was hated, like I was and he stuck to what he knew was right, no matter how he himself suffered for it. I cried at his death, having followed his story for 8 years. It was not right, not fair. He was better than that.

13. supermommy

supermommy wannabe crackho

aww dobby!

14. Morganna

Morganna Member

He was a prince among elves.

15. high_down_under

high_down_under Member

yes! me too, that part was really emotional haha
    so was the part with snape and kings cross. they were probably the three most emotional scenes in any of the books

16. Morganna

Morganna Member

Sirius' death was pretty emotional for me too. I wept along with Harry.

17. *Andy*

*Andy* Senior Member

I thought it was fairly good. The ending was hella corny as you said. I really liked the whole Snape thing though =] Very interesting, though the final battle and essentially the climax was a bit of a let down after such an amazing build up. I think the saddest bit was when Hedwig died. So totally unexpected and emotional!

I'm also really glad that this one didn't get ruined for me like the previous two did. I was too scared to go online in case of a popup saying something along the lines of "RED DIES AND HARRY HAS THREE KIDS!!!" I also heard that people around the city here were shouting out the ending on the street corner o_O Eek..

18. Morganna

Morganna Member

lol, I stayed off line too, then read the spoiler in a newspaper before I finished the book, doh!

19. Royalstar667

Royalstar667 Member

I think one of the people who got a reprieve is Hagrid (I mean he was one of Harry's mentors along with Remus, Sirius, and Dumbledore). She could have easily wrote it in a way that Voldemort made Harry watch Hagrid die before he himself was killed. :p

Snape was really one of the best characters....He had to watch that Muggle Studies teacher get killed and go through all other kinds of thing just to remain Voldemort's right hand man. If you think about it, he probably was the reason no one at the school actually got KILLED (before the Battle of Hogwarts I mean)...he was as brave as Harry.

I really thought that the 'Death Chamber' (with the veil) and the Room of Love would have played a role, after reading some stuff about alchemy and seeing how much Rowling was into it...

20. Morganna

Morganna Member

Interesting theory on the death chamber and room of love. I would like to hear more on that.

As I mentioned before , Snape is my favorite character, been so for abt 7 or 8 years. I was sad that he died, thrilled that his reputation was finally cleared.

I really thought Lupin and Tonks would live. They had a new baby, a new life and so much to live for. and then they were gone just like that.