Spiritual, But Not Religious

Discussion in 'Philosophy and Religion' started by AMS351996, Mar 31, 2019.

1. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

“The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science,"

“The feeling of awed wonder that science can give us is one of the highest experiences of which the human psyche is capable. It is a deep aesthetic passion to rank with the finest that music and poetry can deliver. It is truly one of the things that make life worth living and it does so, if anything, more effectively if it convinces us that the time we have for living is quite finite.”

Who said that? Mr. New Atheist, RichardDawkins
    Unweaving the Rainbow: Science, Delusion and the Appetite for Wonder

guerillabedlam likes this.
  2. neonspectraltoast

neonspectraltoast Best Member

The first quote is usually attributed to Albert Einstein. Who I respect as a scientist. He truly had reverence for the universe. I don't think most scientists have the same deep respect. They just seem to view it all as a great big toy they can fiddle around with.

I find Dawkins' quote a bit disingenuous, because it isn't science that gives us these things. His loyalty seems to lie in science. While Albert Einstein's, from my perspective, lied more in the actual cosmos at large as a thing of great wonder and mystery. Science isn't creating the awe. Any intelligent person should be awed by the universe from the offset. It is mysterious and full of wonder. All science does is turn over stones.

And they aren't even big stones. If the Earth was a mountain, human science would maybe have turned over one or two of its little pebbles. The arrogance of scientists doesn't increase wonder in the population at all, and I think anyone can see this. Instead we get big heads and think we know everything. We know why the sky is blue and that the Earth revolves around the sun, and therefore we know everything.

I also think science can be beside the point of life. The point is to experience the wonder of the universe as the grand mystery that it is...not to try and nitpick every little item and try to rob it of its mystery. And then not to be able to give it its proper respect. I mean, great that Dawkins gives the mystery a word up, but generally scientists should be a lot more humble. They just aren't childlike at all in their wonder. They're all very much adults.

3. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear voice of sexy

well nobody has much success with dating sites, because 98% of the attractive women on there are bots and the other 2% is split between women who are actually interested in finding love but quickly give up because they're sick of getting dick pics in their inbox, and women who are just there for validation. i really don't think it has much to do with religion.

although it is true that 90% of women on dating sites do claim to be super religious. also, 100% are very family oriented (whatever that means, it always reads as "i can't separate from mommy" to me), and about 85% have kids and want to make it very clear that they don't have time for you because of said kids. also, those same women won't tolerate a guy with kids. also they're pretty much all morbidly obese.

this post was not meant to be about everything wrong with dating sites; that just kind of happened organically.

4. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|-|=|-|_

I figure there are a lot of bots on those sites, you can discern some of them with their scant and/or generic profiles but I have known actual women to be on them. I have had a coworker find me on Tinder, that was awkward.

A lot of the women's profiles align with things you mention, perhaps some of it explains why I haven't had much success with it. Besides my recent epiphany about the religious thing, practically all of them are things I'm not looking for in online dating.

5. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

Back to your cave!

6. Mountain Valley Wolf

Mountain Valley Wolf Senior Member

And yet philosophy conceptualized so many fundamental aspects of science centuries before science. philosophers came up with the concept of atoms many centuries before science. The idea of a holographic universe was conceived of in the 1600's and earlier even though they did not use the term 'holographic.' These are just two of many examples.

The actual reality of quantum mechanics and what it says for our ontological view of the universe is so weird that scientists barely even bother with it, preferring to just work it out through mathematics. There is plenty of evidence to state that this is the hidden reality of the universe, yet we fail to come to terms with it in terms of what it really means. Obviously it is up to philosophy to try to explore the possibilities where scientists are afraid to go, or are unable to for the sake of their careers. Yet you have Hawkins and Mlodinow, and others saying philosophy is dead arguing that today we turn to scientists to find the meaning of life.

Yet what do they provide in terms of the meaning of life? What resolution do they provide for the meaningless modern day existence that is masked over by the shallow consumerism that gives us no more than a short-lived satisfaction? What resolution is there for the epidemics of depression, drug addiction, and suicide that plagues modern life? Their answer is to solve it through chemical means, which only treats the symptoms and not the underlying causes. their chemical solutions to the problem have been proven to be more problematic than helpful, and more than anything else, are designed to feed the greed of pharmaceutical giants.

Philosophy may not provide instant resolution, for example, existentialism, a school which was at its peak in post-World War II Europe, and has long been replaced by such things as structuralism, postructuralism, and deconstruction, is just now playing out in full force in American pop culture influencing how we see the world. But that is part of how philosophy brings meaning to life.

There are many questions for which science has no adequate answer. Religion as well has no adequate answer because science has effectively undermined its foundations. This is at the core of the Postmodern meaninglessness to existence. Now more than ever we need philosophy.

It should be no surprise, with the shift away from philosophy, that we are now faced with a third of the country that is oblivious to the blatantly obvious misdeeds, lies, and nihilism of the current administration. It should be no surprise that there is a literal cult surrounding our current president with followers who believe he can do no wrong. It should be no surprise that anti-science has a huge following of people who are convinced that actual science is nothing more than conspiracy meant to fool us----that even argue that the earth is flat. I mean----seriously...!