Spiritual, But Not Religious

Discussion in 'Philosophy and Religion' started by AMS351996, Mar 31, 2019.

1. AMS351996

AMS351996 Transsexual Space-force Member

Philosophy, mythology and theology are organically pointless, having now been supplanted-and-superseded by science, technology, engineering and mathematics (S.T.E.M), yet being spiritual is harmless, adhering to philosophy from a pre-capitalist era that has to be cloaked under mythology and theology in the modern era suit's-and-serves no one

2. I don't know... I think there is something attractive about the religious. I find that particularly around Christmas or Easter the religious people in my life bring me joy. Decidedly, I like them. Scientific knowledge is not a replacement for spirituality in my best estimation. There's no emotion involved in science. Spirituality has that.

GLENGLEN likes this.
  3. quark

quark Parts Unknown

AMS, have you read Waking Up by Sam Harris?

4. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear voice of sexy

nobody who claims to be spiritual but not religious can explain what that actually means. so i take it to mean "i want to sound deep, even though i'm not really."

5. Driftrue

Driftrue Pass All Fail All HipForums Supporter

I can explain that. Either "I believe in God, but not within the constructs of any of the religions" or "I believe in ghosts"

6. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Why are philosophy and theology pointless? Seems a bogus assertion. Scientific developments do not render these things useless or pointless at all.

And depending how individuals go about it even being spiritual can be harmful. And being religious can be harmless.

7. neonspectraltoast

neonspectraltoast Best Member

Philosophy hasn't been supplanted by science. Scientists may have no interest in it, too busy making all of these technological miracles, but others are still fascinated by the bigger picture. Science has just gotten a big head.

Okiefreak likes this.
  8. Total Darkness

Total Darkness 100% Cocoa

This isn't the case with everyone. But a lot of the people who claim to be spiritual have a larger than life ego, and are often too wrapped up in their own bullshit to see or think clearly. Especially those who think they're "enlightened." Often the first to make false assumptions and judgments about people they know nothing about and call it "intuition."

I no longer think highly about people who claim to be spiritual. Regardless of how nice their outward persona appears.

quark likes this.
  9. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

10. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Mythology is one of the best known examples of pre-history.

11. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

It depends. If they go around "claiming" (read "proclaiming") how spiritual they are, that can be annoying. I encountered the "spiritual but not religious" label on dating sites, where I found it useful for folks like me who wanted to avoid fundamentalists, on the one hand, and die-hard materialists, on the other hand. I can see why somebody might prefer "spiritual but not religious" to make it clear that they have no ties to a specific organization and/or creed, and that institutional affiliation is no big deal. Makes sense to me.

Religion is sometimes said to consist of the four "c's": creed, code, cultus, and community. In other words, the term describes the doctrinal, moral, and institutional aspects of faith. "Spirituality" refers to the personal,emotional aspects associated with feelings of awe, transcendence, the sacred, the noetic, numinous, etc. It is typically incorporated into institutional expressions, but can be experienced individually without them. "Thus, the valid distinction is between spirituality and organized religion." What's the Difference Between Religion and Spirituality? The recovery groups have slogans that distinguish between religion and spirituality:
    “Religion is for people who are afraid of Hell. Spirituality is for people who have already been there.” and "Religion puts burdens on people, spirituality takes them off."

Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
  12. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

They come in many forms. I wouldn't think highly of spiritual people by default either, certainly if they claim to be enlightened (i think most spiritual people don't make that claim though. If you think about it lots of people are spiritual to some extent).

13. neonspectraltoast

neonspectraltoast Best Member

I just think it's ridiculous that it's okay to be spiritual, so long as you don't take it too seriously and pay more credence to STEM, which is really at the heart of what the OP is trying to say.

14. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|-|=|-|_

I've thought about if some atheists and agnostics sometimes adopt or tolerate the "spiritual" tag to get laid or open up their dating options.

I'm considereding it more myself, I'd prefer not to be inauthentic like that but I'm kind of at a point where I'd rather be happy than right.

15. Meliai

Meliai Senior Member

Do you really have that much of a problem finding someone who is atheist/agnostic/religious but accepting of your beliefs (or lack thereof)?

I never really had a problem with it back in my dating days, most guys I dated were agnostic or just didnt care. Which is weird because i'm in the Bible belt, I struggle a lot with finding friends who arent super religious. Like everyone around here is very...much the same, culturally and religiously. I often feel like an outcast because I dont share their beliefs and cultural values. But somehow i've never had a problem with finding like minded people to date. I guess like attracts like

16. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|-|=|-|_

Yes?

I haven't used a dating site in awhile, but I never really had much success with them.

Yah, well I'm not a pretty woman.

I used to have more success in my 20's when not everyone was settled down and stuff. I have also significantly limited my time at bars in recent years and would like to keep it that way. I suppose I could check out some meetup groups or something but with my introversion and social anxiety, I have not actively pursued that type of thing.

17. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

If it's just a line to get laid, I wouldn't do it. I know plenty of atheists and agnostics I'd consider to be spiritual--i.e., having a value system that transcends self-interest, materialism, and sensuality. In Oklahoma, there's a network of atheists and agnostics who are into a wide variety of activities, from pizza dinners and discussion groups to charitable work with the poor and homeless. In fact, a major reason for these groups is to meet like-minded people for potential relationships in a Bible Belt state. Does your state have anything like those? I think those would be fertile hunting grounds for spiritually-minded non-believers.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
  18. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed and Confused Staff Member Super Moderator

I find those who claim to be spiritually advanced no more troublesome than those who claim to be "saved".

19. Meliai

Meliai Senior Member

You're not really talking about dating in general though, but finding those whose value systems and views on religion align with your own. Which is totally different from finding someone who just finds you attractive

Anyways pretending to be religious just to impress someone sounds....super awful lol, i vote nay

Irminsul likes this.
  20. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Tell a girl you're a heathen.
    Bitches love heathens. :D