Speaking In Tongues

Discussion in 'Philosophy and Religion' started by thedope, Dec 20, 2014.

1. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

Some animals definitely manipulate other animals, in their own species as well as others.

2. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

not really...their thought patterms are not that complicated....I do not think so....i find them to be exactly who they are every minute.....remember one brings to anything what they themselves have inside.....
    most times....

3. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

No, they manipulate

Dolphins trick fish with mud "nets" - One Life - …: http://youtu.be/bzfqPQm-ThU

I forget what kind of primate it is, but i saw this special where there is a primate type of monkey which steals the babies of their own type and presents them to the alpha who is often somewhat solitary, in attempts to get a higher ranking in their hierarchy.

4. thedope

thedope glad attention Lifetime Supporter

To master your enviroment is a sign of knowledge this includes the food chain. This is why corporations want to control agriculture. It'not theirs.

5. Moonglow181

That in their survival of the fittest dna coding.....though....and monkeys can be very viscious to to other monkeys....they are the species closest to us, too, in make up
    it is not...I think I will do this today and see if I can affect this to happen and mind fuck everyone as I go along, is it?

6. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

Why does the mockingbird mock ?

7. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

In Hopi myth , mockingbird gave the tribe the gift of Language .

8. MeatyMushroom

MeatyMushroom Juggle Tings Proppuh

9. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

Are you suggesting that it is not in our genetic makeup?

I'm willing to go out on a limb and suggest that all social mammals which have hierarchical group structures, exhibit (perhaps in a crude form) some behaviors which could be considered manipulation.

Furthermore, I think manipulation is often a part of predator/prey dynamics and it goes both ways.

10. Moonglow181

I do think that being warlike is in our genetic make up....but I also think we have to listen to our higher brain....real battle begins within.

11. thedope

Aand which battles worth fighting and what tactics to use to accomplish your strategy. Im a ferocious lover.

12. Moonglow181

I can be ferocious, too...if I believe in something...and I can be very sweet and gentle....which I am most of the time...but when I get mad, WATCH OUT! LOL

13. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

I love cats, but they can be very manipulative in my experience of them. They've learned how to manipulate humans and got it down to a fine art. But I suppose we have agreed to be manipulated by them......

14. thedope

You defer to cats. I don't think that says much about cats and it certainly doesn't address the subject of speaking in tongues although it is a lot like listenning to someone make shit up about the nature of phenomena. Cats have adapted to their domestic symbiosis and those who feel manipulated by cats, persons, or anything else have no proportionate grasp on interpersonal relationships in general.

15. BlackBillBlake

Meow.

1 person likes this.
  16. Chodpa

Chodpa Senior Member

scat is a complicated musical language and isn't spontaneous - the greatest scatters practice hundreds of hours - though it sounds senseless it isn't - it is done in key

17. MeatyMushroom

MeatyMushroom Juggle Tings Proppuh

There's a knowledge of structure behind scat I agree, but the essence is the same. I'm assuming you're a muso from that response, and I shall make a further assumption that you have at least once in your life completely lost yourself in a song.. a groove "takes hold" and you just ride it without thought, pure feel.
    Sure glossolalia isn't musical in a melodic and technical sense, but reduce it to the most primitive form of music, repetitive rhythm, then that's what ya got.

The 2nd video(in the form of a link) holds some interesting insight in terms of rhythm and linguistics, and then there's a cool little jam at the end.

18. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

jazz is famous for being spontaneous . many people do not really like that to be true - even
    jazz fans , jazz club owners also . ' mainstream taste ' pretends to rule , and is authority over
    what ?

19. BlackBillBlake

I agree with you that many higher mammals do engage in manipulation of their own and other species. I mentioned the example of cats manipulating humans (I speak as a human who has been manipulated by cats). But I've observed dogs skilfully manipulating other dogs on many occasions. It's true these were domesticated dogs, but it's a definite phenomenon.

My friend had a pack of 4 lurchers, and among them the one bitch was very smart. She used to have a particular chair she liked to lie on, and if it was occupied by one of the other dogs, she'd go out in the hall and start barking as if there was some alarm. As soon as the others came to see what was going on, she'd immediately run back and up onto the chair. I saw this more than once, as well as other incidents. If that's not manipulation, I don't know what is.

Predators have to be able to observe carefully and be able to think ahead. Even without language, some animals do appear to have this ability. From that the ability to manipulate probably comes.

20. BlackBillBlake

Our closest relatives are Chimps and Bonobos.

Chimps can be very aggressive. Bonobos are not very aggressive but hyper sexual.

But all group living primates also have big elements of co-operation in their behaviours. It's not all nastiness in the jungle.