Speaking In Tongues

Discussion in 'Philosophy and Religion' started by thedope, Dec 20, 2014.

1. thedope

thedope glad attention Lifetime Supporter

I think you may be tring to be cute in the wrong thread.

2. Chodpa

Chodpa Senior Member

i think you're trying to be smart
    but nobody cares

1 person likes this.
  3. thedope

Your caring is your own and you are gossiping yet once again, who the fuck is nobody? Man you need a trip to your local hair dresser so you can catch up and have something to bring to the table.

4. Chodpa

Chodpa Senior Member

i don't really get you i admit - i don't think we'll have any real conversation now or ever, but i apologize for my earlier words - maybe people care - from about 16 years on the internet now though my experience differs and i see it all as a big dumb waste of time and effort - i think with you're 19,000 posts here you helped skip make this forum but that's about it - you're wasting your time, and you're always angry - i feel sort of sorry for you - and you're not as interesting as my favorite people from shroomery and audio forum who have a million posts - some people are actually helpful while others are absolving some inner need for something which they hopelessly will never accomplish because they don't even realize it

5. thedope

I'm never angry. If I have helped make the forum then I contribute to your domaine of participation as you have chosen for yourself to be here for your own, i presume, interest. i don't have a lot of time for the internet you describe which is why i am direct about peoples nonsense. I always invite anyone to challenge my thoughts on their merits.I think your obvious exxperience means that you have something valuable to offer to those who are sincere about finding peace within themselves and I have tried to bring you out, but you seem to have this bitterness over your own experience. I would hope to releive you of that for your own comfort in life.

6. Chodpa

Chodpa Senior Member

that's perceptive

i have bitterness because i was brought up into cult think and it was a long road to escape all the bias and opinion, not to mention crazy gurus and beggars

but i meditate pretty often still
    but i don't hold with religion even if i am card carrying buddhist
    i am buddhist merely politically
    buddha was an anarchist

this world is stupid and fucked
    that's my bitterness

i don't need more of it

thanks for your time

7. thedope

Whose perspective? Because you were brought up doesn't mean you can't shed your conditioning and the more you bring it up the more it is reinforced.Withdrawl from life is not the answer to a pessimistic view, it is the acceptance of it.

8. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

crazy gurus and beggars !

thassa just the cult an old man can relax into . it took so long
    to find it though .

1 person likes this.
  9. Chodpa

Chodpa Senior Member

haha - i was in the wrong thread
    duh on me

growing up in the TM community of fairfield iowa they had 'levitating.' your medition session could be lengthened if you were a good levitator. people didn't levitate and to this day they don't, but they hopped. maybe people remember maharishi's levitation olympics in the late 80s? though probably not. hopping was considered the beginning stage of levitation and it was all a pretty literal practice of patanjalis third pada of the yoga sutras

anyway - there was little difference between that group think and desire to be part of something huge and transcendent and this speaking in tongues.

morealso during meditation and prayer the respiration becomes subtle and if one thinks powerful thoughts or entrains the mind then they can make the speech and body act out without specifically conscious volition

so many believed they were really beginning levitating. in fact somewhere around 2,000 people still do it in a group in fairfield iowa so the transcendental factor trumps reason and the search for truth

speaking in tongues doesn't necessarily have to be real in any form even because the good book says so

i think its tourettes
    i think TM Sidha hoppers are due for lots of back problems

also snakebiters (redneck fundies) are the present source for this spasmoticness
    it certainly is not a part of any educated religious group
    and by educated i mean people who have gone to college and travelled

10. thedope

i recognize the levels of deception present becasue i use my inner experience to guide my tone so to speak. that is if i am am not in possession of my stability or sanity it shows in the quality of my own sensations.

11. thedope

if anything takes super human effort i am not it.

12. Chodpa

Chodpa Senior Member

well, stability and sanity are strong words here - much in this world is due to society and people needing to feel they belong somewhere - otherwise it's a vast and intangible universe - scientists learn this over and over as we break light speed, and recently there was discovery of a type of molecule which can transcribe DNA without DNA - so also many many super smart people fall into attachment to a society and a function, even if it looks weird or is basically the opposite of sensible - amongst the TM people are some of the cream of humankind - for instance my friend rick archer has this website where he interviews people who give lectures about being enlightened or liberated - it's called buddha at the gaspump - rick is a total truth seeker of highest caliber, and was once maharishi's personal secratary for two years and taught deepak TM - my main point was to counter your argument of lack of stability or sanity - a seeker is actually not necessarily a findder - and truth is not necessarily permanent - and also those who founded religions and capitalize weren't necessesarily right - ever read the vedas? meaningless - yet they are the basis of hinduism and revered for millennia, but they are meaningless - and the whole caste system - it's all such a weird perception - but you can't say that they are not stable or sane people (most of the time - you do hear weird things from india - recently a guru had 400 followers castrate themselves to get closer to god (who he more that likely had never met))

13. thedope

The pressure of compulsion is not stability. Stability is to pick up and lay down at will. Sanity is a state of mind without conflict. Truth is relative and true terms are same different and purposeful. I don't say sanity doesn't exist but for those who have it is precious to everyone.

14. Chodpa

Chodpa Senior Member

you're making your own definitions - and acting one way to belong isn't necessarily compulsion. all stability entails is the ability to stay out of the sanitarium - consider keat's negative capability - a state of being where one can hold contradictions in mind without the need to reconcile them - in fact much of art is just this - art brings the aesthetic response or pleasure to often tragic or horrid reckonings - of course artists are not considered the most stable bunch - nonetheless, stability is merely the ability to be able to function and remain out of self created miasma and te funny farm - otherwise there is no solid definition for being mentally stable - people on ssris and other psychoactives who can function and maintain are also stable - there's no need for stability to be defined by one stroke of definition - if there were there would be no art, no religion, certainly no neitzche or bowie. one could say that instability is definite and described by the psychiatric profession: psychotic, manic depressive, depressive, etc.... otherwise one is stable - also and this is a major point - when did stability come into this discussion of speaking in tongues? and why? definitely compulsion, instability, and old fashioned chicanery are 99.9 % of gift of tongues

15. thedope

Yes there is a definition for being mentally stable and that is to think the thoughts you want to think. Not to hold opposing thoughts in your head. there is no such thing as an opposing thought we have one thought being replaced in succession by another. What you are talking about is perceiving the world by virtue of dull sensation. You have no way of measuring the percentage of any phenomena having to do with speaking tongues. So you have not much but vacuous theory of your own. regarding the speaking of tongues or the capcities of the human mind.

16. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

and why ? the gift of tongues is an art , and it is naturally emergent for the unrepressed . the gift
    is artfulness . to receive it , you will be relevent to the space and moment of its experience . for
    example : when it is spoken in church , the church itself = idea for space . the conversation is
    not about the universe . ' god is present ' . ' we are one ' . ' in this moment is beauty ' . should this
    be the utterance of the great choral Ahh with arms extended to all creation , yes , might as well go
    outside or shall the walls tumble down .

what do people say watching fire-works in a summer sky ? Ahh !... OO! ... touched by
    the spirit light from above

1 person likes this.
  17. Chodpa

Chodpa Senior Member

and monet studied art and could do a van gogh if he wanted
    my point being that an art is first an observation then second
    a repetition
    thus art can be taught
    and gift of tongues if you consider it art
    can be some fucking fake shit
    like beggar's house of starving artists
    going out of business love of god sale

the presumption is the real clue of the
    deception

18. thedope

What, what you are cannot be taught but can be discovered and when discover you discover you are familiar and have family.

19. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Gift of tongues? Just be who you are....this goes for anyone...as the animals are.....one minute they may be happy, another grumpy....angry.....sad....etc.....not one of them is trying to manipulate another....

as far as art goes...i do not know what anyone is trying to say about it here, but I couldn;t care less. I love it and love doing it, period....and no one can take that awAy from me.....and i find artists a really cool group of people I could spend all day with....and writers, as well.

1 person likes this.
  20. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

I provided a dictionary of universal language . Casually in an evening or two it can be memorized , internalized .
    Every phoneme is a morpheme . Any symbol is a word and every combination of symbols is also a word . All
    structure is purely associative . Swallow it to learn something . An action will proceed from this . Do it or donut .

Qd