South Bend, IN/Hippie Island 1968-1978

Discussion in 'Indiana' started by sanjose, Jul 1, 2011.

1. sanjose

sanjose Member

Anyone from South Bend? Remember Hippie Island?

1 person likes this.
  2. indydude

indydude Senior Member

No, Tell us about it please. I heard a lady tell about a commune near IU back in the 70's. They grew plants as big as Christmas trees.

3. kinulpture

kinulpture Member

I too, would kinda like to know. Hi indy.

4. Shadowtown

Shadowtown Guest

Hello All.

Yes I remember it well. The official name was Leeper Park. I spent some wonderful days tripping out there, playing drums, singing and runnin wild. I was there most everyday and knew all the hippies there and at the various houses around town. I would love to make contact with any of the old Leeper Park hippies from those days and exchange some tales, there are so many to tell.

It's a very sad night tonight, just got the news Bowie died. What a great fuckin artist! That and the mention of hippie island come as a major flashback on me right now. It was during the later part of my "hippie island" days. I was at an anti war protest at Notre Dame U a couple of days after Hendrix died. As I walked through the campus that fall day, Hendrix seemed to come booming from every open window on campus. The freak flags were flying high that September afternoon!

Well, I'm gonna go burn one and listen to Blackstar, Bowies final album and his gift to his fans, give up a few tears for the great loss and dream of the summer days on the island.

Peace & Love Forever!