Sooo... how do we all feel about the Old Farmer's Almanac?

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by FireflyInTheDark, Mar 17, 2008.

1. FireflyInTheDark

FireflyInTheDark Sell-out with a Heart of Gold

My mom knows I'm about to start gardening, so she bought me the original almanac to help me get started. It says it predicts the weather and stuff... is it really accurate? Should I really plant my garden according to this?
    I've been leafing through the pages and the articles all look amazing. I can't wait to start using it.
    So does it work? Did we get the right one? I'm a total newbie when it comes to this stuff.

2. gardener

gardener Realistic Humanist

It's a fun read, and a lot of the information is accurate. But it always pays when gardening to base your decisions on actual observation. It's always worthwhile to look out the window to see if it's raining.

3. FireflyInTheDark

Haha, thanks for the reply. I figured that would be the case. I might just become addicted to the weather channel for extended forecasts as well. I'm such a paranoid first-time crop-mama :tongue:
    Can't wait to get out there...

4. poor_old_dad

poor_old_dad Senior Member

Yeah, like the good gentleman from Northern California said, it's fun and has some good info, but their weather predictions have been tested and shown to be only 2 percent better than random guesses. But I still buy it every year for all the other stuff.

Oldest and longest continuously published magizine in the country.

And don't be "a paranoid first-time crop-mama", you'll do fine.

Peace,
    poor_old_dad

5. FireflyInTheDark

Thanks! I'm starting to see my first sprouts this week, so I'm feeling a little more confident...even though after planting about 50 strawberry seeds, like a month ago, only one tiny little sprout has come up... but I have a million lettuce sprouts! Heh...
    One of the articles I saw in there this year says they had their worst year to date for weather predictions in last year's issue. Kinda gave me that, "oh great" feeling, but there's always the articles, which I have already found extremely helpful, and the moon phase and astrology stuff, which is just cool and fun to follow.

6. moevan

moevan Member

it's a good " rule of thumb" guide. judging from my " desktop weather.com" it's not a wholelot different in inaccuracies. but alot of the old time sayings still hold true. some good wisdom there. but mostly a fun little book . deserves to not be ignored.

7. gardener

gardener Realistic Humanist

Strawberry seends?, around here we plant bareroot crowns, faster turnaround and production.

8. FireflyInTheDark

Yeah... basically we saw a kit at Aldi's, got excited and impulsively bought it. I blame winter madness. ;)