somebody explain to me...

Discussion in 'Hippies' started by Tuk_Tuk, Jan 6, 2005.

1. Tuk_Tuk

Tuk_Tuk Member

Greetings,
    Ive heard it many times but never really understood it... What is a Yippie and what would the difference between a hippie and yippie be???

Peace and Love,
    Jon

2. headymoechick

headymoechick I have no idea

I've never heard of a yippie. I've heard of a yuppie- a fast paced business person. I guess if you were to combine the two you'd have a yippie. If that's the definition I'm a yippie!! I sit at my desk in my long patterned skirt and hat talking business with NYC executives. hee hee.. if they only knew. anyway, I don't know what a yippie is. I've said yippie, but it was more like- YIPPIE!! like hooray!

3. PuZuZu

PuZuZu Member

Probably some sort of local label in your area. I'd recognize it either as a distorted or misheard form of yuppie or the "YIPPIEE I'M EXCITED."

4. Tuk_Tuk

Tuk_Tuk Member

No its a real term, ive heard many famour references....

John Lennon: Give Peace a Chance = Lets hear it for the hippies and the yippies...

And

Abbie Hoffman refers to himself as a yippie throughout Revolution for the hell of it...
    Ive never heard anyone locally say it...

Peace and Love,
    Jon

5. soulrebel51

soulrebel51 i's a folkie.

Originally (according to Revolution For The Hell Of It), "Yippie" was meant only to be the term that would make the Youth International Party (YIP) world-reknown. Abbie and Anita Hoffman, and the other members of YIP, started to hand out buttons that said "Yippie!" on them... the media and most other people started to call followers of YIP "Yippies", and yeah, that's all I know...

But Abbie specifically states in either Revolution or Woodstock Nation that he never meant "Yippie" to refer to fellow YIP members.

:)

6. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Soul Rebel is correct.

7. Tuk_Tuk

Tuk_Tuk Member

Thanks, I kinda knew that, just wondering if it evolved past that stage.....

Peace and Love,
    Jon