Soil Nutrients

Discussion in 'Cannabis Grow Rooms and Greenhouses' started by shantalira, Jun 12, 2006.

1. shantalira

shantalira Member

Can I add Fox Farm, Bcuzz and Diamond Nector Nutrients to Miracle Grow Potting Soil? Can add the nutrients to a All Natural Organic Mix with earthworm casting and bat guano?

If I can add the nutrients, How much do I mix?

2. buffoonman

buffoonman Senior Member

Don't add them to miracle grow as there is plenty of nutrients all ready in it. All it needs is a bit of epsom salts (Magnesium) as it dosn't appear to have any in it.

3. Naturalhi

Naturalhi Great hairy ape

Why not use foxfarm oceanforest soil, and go all natural?

4. shantalira

shantalira Member

I didn't even know they made Foxfarm Organic Soil. Can I add nutrients to that soil?

5. buffoonman

buffoonman Senior Member

Biobiz also do an organic soil specifically designed for marijuana. You just water for the veg period then add biobiz bloom during flowering.
    Foxfarm do there own nutrients as well but don't add untill the soils has used up its own nutes. Beware over fertilisation.

6. shantalira

shantalira Member

I understand not to use nutrients with the miracle grow soild mix. Does that also include the Flowering Stage.

What about the organic mix that contains worm castings and bat guano? When should I start adding the nutrients to that soil?

7. Naturalhi

Naturalhi Great hairy ape

You don't need nutes in ocean forest for about 3-4weeks then use big grow as directed, but lightly too many nutes burn em!

8. shantalira

shantalira Member

I'm not using Ocean Forest. I'm using miracle grow on a couple of plants and and different organic mix that contains worm casting in another mix.

9. buffoonman

buffoonman Senior Member

Miracle grow soil should take you through flowering as well. Your Organic mix is harder to say without knowing quantites etc. It will see you through veg then keep an eye on your plants. I use maxicrop seaweed extract this can be used at all stages and helps with nutrient uptake plus corrects any minor problems.

10. rangerdanger

rangerdanger Senior Member

There are a lot of potting soils theses days that come with nutrients already added.

miracle grow is at the bottom of the barrel.
    Fox Farms Ocean Forest as well as other brands of potting soils that have organic nutrients already added is designed to give your plants all they need for the first 6 weeks or so of growth.
    When you notice the bright green color start to fade, it's time to start adding organic nutrients. You can make a tea out of chicken shit and use that, or buy a full spectrum veg nutrient (Fox Farms makes exellent products).
    Use chicken shit tea or whatever veg product you're using until the first 3 weeks of flowering, THEN switch to a flowering nutrient as soon as you see the buds just beginning to form (late Aug/early-mid Sept).
    Veg nutrients are formulated to support growth, and during the first 3 weeks of flowering mj can more than double in height. It needs the high N ratio of a veg nutrient to preform best.
    When you switch to flowering nutrients you can use high P bat/bird guano (like 1-10-1) or buy a "complete" flowering nutrient from a good company like Fox Farms.

The reason that miracle grow is bad:
    - They're harsh chemicals that can leave a nasty chem. taste in your buds
    - Marijuana does best when given a high N nutrient during veg, and a high P nutrient during flowering.

11. buffoonman

buffoonman Senior Member

Rangerdanger knows his stuff but heres a bud that thats grown in miracle grow with no added nutes. It tastes just fine, but I did flush for the last 10 days.

12. rangerdanger

rangerdanger Senior Member

I never said miracle grow won't grow pot.
    In fact, I used it myself for about 15 years, before I knew any better.
    But one day I was at a friends and his plants looked better than mine (we both had clones from the same donor).
    And they tasted better than mine come harvest time.
    The only difference was I used miracle grow and he used organic nutrients.

My main complaints re:miracle grow are
    -it's not a complete nutrient. It lacks mg (magnesium) and to get that nutrient the grower has to spray his plants with Epsom salts.
    -and more importantly, miracle grows kills beneficial microbes in the soil, such as mychorrizae and nematodes.
    Ever noticed that if you grow in the same location and use miracle grow, you have to dump increasingly large amt's of it to get the same results as the previous year?
    That's because miracle grow kills the free good stuff nature supplied in good soil and instead have to pay the miracle grow people to replace it with chem's.

Try it yourself buffoonman. Next year, reserve a little space for an all-natural grown plant. Dig up the surrounding soil (3' wide x 3' deep), replace with organic potting soil and use only organic nutes on that one plant (don't mix chems with organics) and see for yourself.

13. buffoonman

buffoonman Senior Member

Starting my next indoor grow next week was thinking of using biobiz or canna terra organic soil. Will definitely be going organic whichever.