Social Work/Sociology/Urban Studies?

Discussion in 'Higher Ed' started by Skeeebop, May 24, 2007.

1. Skeeebop

Skeeebop Member

Anyone Majoring/Minoring in any of these?
    Like it?

2. hippieatheart

hippieatheart vagina boob

my friend is majoring in social work.
    she just finished her first year of it this may..

i think she likes it alot.. she's doing really good with it so far!

3. Stella_Drives

Stella_Drives Senior Member

I'm majoring in Social Work. I love it. They've told us from day one though that it is nearly impossible to live off a social worker's salary unless you get your masters degree so keep that in mind. A lot of what we learn about is very heavy on the heart, but the work is so rewarding. Good luck with whichever path you choose!

4. Sociologist

Sociologist Member

I just graduated from WKU with a B.A. in Sociology this month (WOO HOO!!) It's a field that I absolutely love. It's a degree that will literally take you anywhere and make you employable everywhere. With that said, the pp is right. There is no decent living until you get a Master's in any of the 3 programs you listed. Sociologists normally go into research or teaching (not always though). So anything less than a masters really doesn't do much good. But I could go work at the welfare office or something like that with my degree.

But after a B.A., if you love your field, a Master's seems very obtainable. I couldn't do social work, I'd kill anyone who hurt a kid. But I love to study society and why we operate, think, and live the way we do.

5. Bumble

Bumble Senior Member

I'm a social worker, but I do not have a degree yet. It is a very demanding field. I was offered a case manager position on 3 different occassions, but I declined it because it would require me to work 45-50 hours a week and I still go to school! Right now I do TSS work, which is very enjoyable. Most of the other TSS people have degrees in psychology/sociology/social work. Good luck with the path you decide to go down!

6. trekker

trekker Intrepid Traveler

I began studying Social Work at Adelphi University in NY. I took one semester. It was interesting doing my internship at a senior rec. center. They told us the job can cause burn out in a large proportion of the graduates. I would like to go back and get a bachelors degree.