Social media addiction

Discussion in 'The Media' started by RainyDayHype, Jun 19, 2018.

1. RainyDayHype

RainyDayHype flower power Lifetime Supporter

Blahh. Sick,sad world. I will go online in-between running errands or in what little down time I have. I never go online or on my phone while out eating with people, or take photos of my food. I don't have social media like Facebook or Instagram anymore.. Time consuming and invasive. I'm only on Hipforums as I like discussion and writing, and a chuckle sometimes. I'm thinking about starting WordPress again,just so I can write,not to share every intimate detail or my whereabouts..like people do on fb.

2. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

I have a Iphone but no apps. I don't even know what I could want a phone to do but ring and text. I have not updated the software on it for years either. Why? I hear the new ones make the phone slow on purpose so you buy a new one. It's annoying to see the pop up asking to update every day but it's worth it. They want you to give in and click.

I don't have a facebook either. If you want to talk to me you probably know the cell number.

6Sailor9 and Sagewynd like this.
  3. RainyDayHype

Yeah, I even like to go periods without a phone and I rarely save contacts. If you mean anything to me then I have your # memorized.
    The only app I use is for 7 eleven and I get a bunch of free stuff..

dazedgatsby and Sagewynd like this.
  4. Running Horse

Running Horse A Buddha in hiding from himself

Never had a facebook, Instagram, twitch, twitter, or whatever else. Had a MySpace as a teen but thats been defunct for at least 12 years. I know I've a few random apps on my phone, no clue how they got there & the only one I actually use is my weather app.

Sagewynd and RainyDayHype like this.
  5. RainyDayHype

high-five-me_o_671265.jpg

tjr1964 and Sagewynd like this.
  6. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

Word. I have literally quit hanging out with my work friends because of the phone thing. They spend the entire time fucking around with those things and it is annoying. And sad really. I avoid the breakroom now because they are all playing on their phones, some app or whatever that changes your facial features and adds hats or animal ears or whatever and changes the pitch of your voice. These are 30 yo women with children mind you, not teenagers. I walked in one day last month and one of the girls was sending her bf a pic of her in pantys. In the breakroom of all places!

I've resolved never to own a smartphone; I've got no use for one. This is the model I have. My brother uses one too and I'm so proud of him.

[​IMG]

6Sailor9, tjr1964, Sagewynd and 4 others like this.
  7. Keptafew

Keptafew Members

I admit I never understood the idea of taking a picture of your plate for the whole world to see?? Also what does anyone care that you checked in someplace.... its not even a hotel for crying out loud!!

Sagewynd, mefesh and RainyDayHype like this.
  8. RainyDayHype

Ah is that snap chat or something? I can't stand those lame doe eye puppy photos or the ones with a fake flower crown. Go outside and make a real flower crown,gahhh. I used a flip phone for the longest time but now have an Android something or other so I can use MapQuest so I won't get lost. Internet would not load on my flip phone.

9. RainyDayHype

Atleast fake kitty and doggy ears seem to have replaced duck lips

Kitbi likes this.
  10. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

Oh don't even get me started on 'duck lips.' My 15 year old niece has discovered that and I had to bite my tongue. But, you know, she's only 15 so what do you expect? Seeing grown adults with preteens of their own act like that is a whole other story. It's slightly worrisome.

Kitbi likes this.
  11. Running Horse

Running Horse A Buddha in hiding from himself

What're duck lips?

Sagewynd likes this.
  12. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I have a Samsung s8 and I don't even use it to it's capabilities to even think of buying a new phone anymore lol. I have a handful of apps, I have one saved internet site which is this one. I am on Facebook but I don't use it to social network. Never really had an addiction. Some days when I can't be fucked coming online I just don't and like, I dunno, I have no withdrawals lol. Being online gives me withdrawals.

13. Keptafew

Keptafew Members

hahaha, I think I know what you talking about when you say duck lips.... it is weird. Swollen lips are welcomed elsewhere but not on the face scrunchies.

14. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Yeah, If I menstruated, I'd be too angry to use my phone also ;)

wilsjane and GeorgeJetStoned like this.
  15. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

Research has shown that getting "likes" on online media platforms give the user hits of dopamine.

Maccabee and RainyDayHype like this.
  16. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

they still make those?

EDIT: I'm surprised so many people are like me in this thread. I never liked Facebook because it wanted to know where you were and all this personal stuff, like where you were in life, what school you went to, etc. I didn't really feel like sharing that with everybody online. Like BeatinFeet I had a Myspace, and though that it was really fun, though I didn't add anybody I really knew all that well. And when myspace dropped out it seems like everyone stopped using the forum I was on at that time which was a rave website. People I knew from there apparently either stopped communicating or learned to communicate using twitter, facebook, or instagram. Lol. Anyway... long story short, I never made that transfer.

17. RainyDayHype

Just gave you some dopamine

eggsprog likes this.
  18. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

This is what they said about Atari when you were young.

All generations have their "thing."

Never once has "their thing" been the end of civilization or whatever.

Have fun, kids! This is your time!!

mefesh likes this.
  19. RainyDayHype

Yeah, when you list your schools and work history, etc then you get linked to people of your past and friend requests you don't want..

What happened to ravelinks.com?

I miss Myspace. I trust Tom more than I would ever trust Zuckerberg.

20. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

Myspace is still around. It's primarily used by underground bands to promote music.

Cello Song and Running Horse like this.