Social awkwardness

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Pressed_Rat, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

On a scale of 1-10 (10 being the worst), how socially awkward are you? I think part of my social awkwardness stems from the fact that I can never figure out what to say to people in most social situations, especially when I don't know the person well. I think I sometimes come across as dull or maybe even snobbish, even though I'm not.

2. MamaPeace

MamaPeace Senior Member

7 - For the same reasons, but I'm also very shy at first. I'd say 8 or 9 but my weirdness tends to break the ice quickly.

3. Its a lots easier when you know you are better than everyone else

4. Pressed_Rat

Not for me. :p

5. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Lifetime Supporter

A Big Smile, Then Small Talk About The Weather...:)

Cheers Glen.

6. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

2 or 3 I would guess :) I've come from a long way too though :p :D

7. *MAMA*

*MAMA* Perfectly Imperfect

2 I'm really outgoing and friendly. I've always been told I'm very "approachable," so I guess that helps too.

8. azucena

azucena vagina farts

hmmm, maybe 4/5.. When I get nervous or meet someone new, I talk TOO much because I hate awkward silences, so sometimes I come across as weird... but it works for me so, what ever..

9. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

Probably a seven. For the same reasons that you stated, pressed rat. I just take a while to open up and start talking to people, and it often gets mistaken for snobbishness. I also have a tendency not filter things at the wrong moments.

10. Gongshaman

Gongshaman Modus Lascivious

I do this...not infrequently either.

I think rating yourself is silly and quite possibly counterproductive.

I just try to be genuine and hope for the best.

11. Kinky Ramona

Kinky Ramona Back by popular demand!

About 5. I'm not really awkward, though I do opt to keep quiet when I've got nothing of interest to say or if I don't really know the people I'm interacting with. I'm kind of an offensive person overall and I try to keep it in check if I don't know the other party's sense of humor.

12. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I'm an 8 on the shyness scale but I'm not really awkward about it. I have a hard time talking to people first but once people open up a conversation with me I have no problem being friendly.

I have the same problem though - I just don't know what to say to people unless they initiate the conversation, unless its clear that we have something in common.

13. autophobe2e

autophobe2e Senior Member

it honestly entirely depends on the circumstances and the person/people.

i know people who i was basically unable to speak to because of severe awkwardness for, in some cases, years.

and i sometimes meet people and get on straight away like a house on fire.

being quiet is usually the more normal response for me though.

i think i find it a lot easier when the other person comes across as quite awkward as well. for example, on my first day at university i was awkward as hell, everyone was being sociable and introducing themselves to each other and that, and i just wasn't feeling it at all. was feeling kind of down and what have you. saw this bloke who looked like he was in sort of the same place and made a fucking beeline for him, he was the first bloke i met at university and we became best mates and lived together for the next two years. i think awkwardness shared can be a great leveller, whereas people who are sort of outgoing and friendly can be like a fucking social brick wall to the awkward gent. not always the case, but it can be that way.

i do also find that i very, very often don't know how to start a conversation. more often than not i rely on the other person to instigate it, or the situation itself to be obviously worth commenting on.

14. Mr.Writer

Mr.Writer Senior Member

For most of my adult life, close to 7ish, now, close to one. Huge boost in general self-confidence and in confidence with regards to communicating with others socially thanks to going to college to become a social worker :D

15. Joshua Tree

Joshua Tree Remain In Light

[​IMG]

:2thumbsup:

I'm probably about a 7, have improved over the years, but I'm also not good at small talk.

I generally let other people do most of the talking. I used to be a thinker, but now I'm more
    likely to sit there blankly.

16. Pressed_Rat

Glad to know I am not alone there. I also tend to zone out when people are around, as if it's out of my control. I probably come across as a total space cadet to most people.

17. kokujin

kokujin Senior Member

lol i'd rather not fucking measure myself on a scale that encompasses [how] others [operate].

I can go out and have a self-confident fun time around others most of the time -- this is good enough.

I'd give myself a 5 if I had to. Only because I'm just too damn unique. :sunny:

But I bet i've been around others and they thought me to be a 2 or 3 as well (just unfortunately not in my head, ya :p)

18. Pressed_Rat

I should start telling myself that.

19. kokujin

kokujin Senior Member

I wish this was the case for me. Not tooting my horn, but I really do think I can intimidate people. I usually do the initiating (eventually). Then things turn friendly and fine.

Fucking high energy, man. I've been told I'm one of the most easy-going persons by a friend whos' known me. "Familiar" by another chic. etc.

Yet I don't seem to see people approaching ME as much. :/ Strange.

20. Pressed_Rat

I have a hard time getting my thought process in order when people are around. Things often come out sounding jumbled and unintelligible. Or perhaps that is simply my flawed perceptions of myself.