social anxiety disorder

Discussion in 'Paranoid?' started by ash13y, Jun 16, 2006.

1. ash13y

ash13y Member

i think i suffer from social anxiety disorder (SAD) i dont know what to do :(

2. CadenceKid

CadenceKid Member

move up into the mountains and become a hermet who only comes down into town once a month to get supplies and groceries and make a huge scene then possibly steal a small child's lollipop, why driving away in your rusted out truck up into the mountains thinking about how meaningfull your life is.

3. ssreetnulov

ssreetnulov Member

Quit thinking.

4. ash13y

ash13y Member

i get embarased about a load of nothing. its pathetic. Its hard for me to meet people and take part in social activities with something im not used to....

5. wonderboy

wonderboy the secret of your power!

smokalottaweed

6. Archemetis

Archemetis Senior Member

get over it... im not trying to be a dick or anythin, i actually used to have social anxiety pretty badly. your in complete control of your reality and your thinking patterns....stop giving your power away.

you are who you are, theirs far weirder out there im sure..those that mind dont matter and those that matter dont mind.

7. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Member

get over it? you can't just fucking snap out of something like this. you have to work on yourself and it takes time.

edit: oh sorry, i replied before i saw you edited your somewhat cold and unconcerned post.

8. zeppelin kid

zeppelin kid Member

Apparently you people never had full blown social anxiety then because your acting as if its a turn on turn off thing. Yes you have to change your thinking patters but come on now if it were that easy then there would be no such thing as anxiety disorders. Think next time you speak.

9. IllusoryFreedom

IllusoryFreedom Member

I think I have social anxiety disorder too. I'm not really much help (If I knew what to do, I wouldn't have it any more :p), but if you ever need someone to talk about it or anything, you can send me a PM. :)

10. tuesdayafternoon

tuesdayafternoon Member

I was diagnosed with this when I turned 20, was prescribed medication but didnt take it, lived with it for a couple of years, and now its almost gone(Ill be 23 in a couple months) I found that reading about it alot and putting yourself in friendly and comfortable environments helped alot, also to stop caring and being comfortable with who you are.
    Hope this helps
    Shawn

11. deadonceagain

deadonceagain mankind is a plague

i have social anxiety and its very hard to control, the past week ive been trying to find a job and ive managed to go into 2 places so far becuase my fear of people is so great, its not an easy thing to deal with at all and saying suck it up is not going to help, i would ask your doctor to recamend a theripest or counciler

12. fritz

fritz Heathen

People- Anthropophobia.
    People in general or society- Sociophobia.

The above are my bigger problems..As far as dealing with it, the only two things I've found that work for me are benzodiazepines, & simple exposure to my fear.
    Explains the forum junkie thing in my case.
    I'll even drive out of my way to shop if I have a bad experience somewhere..
    It comes and goes in waves, it's worse at times..Other days it's non existent. It used to be much worse all the time when I was younger.

13. Archemetis

Archemetis Senior Member

i didnt say it were easy....i still struggle with this to an extent. but one has the ultimate power to condition their own mind, and that is important to remember. you can look at this two ways....that you are powerless and miserable and have a "disorder" and no matter how hard you try, you'll still be social phobic....or you can have courage and determination and recognize your role as creator and work to get over your hang ups. put it into perspective and it is a simple desicion. the work is hard, though.

whats worked for me is to bring it back to a spiritual level... inside....to light the fire of the warriors spirit and take on the view that the outside world is just a mirror, and it reflects lessons that promote growth. when nothing but this "pathless path" matters social anxiety cannot exist.

14. ash13y

ash13y Member

thanks all. I know it cant be stopped in one second and i know it doesnt last for ever. Iv not been able to get a propper girlfriend in years and everytime i saw my last girlfriend it was at a party where we drank. I feel embarrased about going to the doctors. Is there a way i can get the medication on the highstreet or in non-prescription chemists.

I hate geting my hair cut.. everybody watches and its so embarrasing... But i am trying to conquer the fears of everyday life by trying to get myself more involved and speaking more. I am going to spain tomorrow with a friend and hopefully i will be able to make more friends and sort out my problems there without the possability that i will see these people again if i do something wrong or stupid.

I think i also suffer from tourettes syndrom.. a mild version. I twitch sometimes and i guess this doesnt help my anxiety.