So will Marijuana get a chance?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Deleted member 42017, Feb 1, 2009.

1. For the longest time I have felt that a president is not really the place to go when hoping for change in marijuana laws. I personally felt that only from the bottom would we ever effect change.

But I now wonder if Obama was just pulling a Bill Clinton on the marijuana issue to garner the youth vote. If you recall Clinton, once in office did the exact opposite and with Reno drove marijuana arrests to a record 750,000 per year.

Will Obama, with his 90% Clinton croney house put the final nail in the marijuana coffin and put even more Americans into cages?

I have to admit that I am not able to see a clear future on this. The marijuana issue was one of the top 10 issues to be presented to Obama. Whatever happened with that?

2. gardener

gardener Realistic Humanist

I don't think so. Financially the states can't support the housing of more low level prisoners. And they are the ones that have to foot the bill. I don't see the laws being relaxed anytime soon, but I don't see any upscaling in the war on drugs either.

3. earthmother

earthmother senior weirdo

Being a witch hunt, he has to be careful. I would not look for him to do anything too outrageous, altho I think that his PERSONAL stand will have some bearing on the outcome, as people tend to look up to the pres (good or bad) and emulate him if he seems to be a smart guy or gang up on him if he is a fool (think George).

Our biggest obstacle is whether or not our state legislators have any brains or balls. Obama can help simply by not being rabidly AGAINST changing the laws...

4. Aristartle

Aristartle Snow Falling on Cedars Lifetime Supporter

I doubt it.

5. flmkpr

flmkpr Senior Member

i think its not a matter of maryjane its a matter of wether or not the pwers that be can be trumpt and hemp can be allowd to help save the world!!!!!!

GeorgeJetStoned likes this.