So we got some cartoons from Walmart...

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by daisymae, Jun 11, 2006.

1. daisymae

daisymae Senior Member

From the cheapo bin...it is a 4-disc set of 150 "classics", like from the 30's-50's

And holy crap, one of them is about a slave auction...it started off with cotton picking, and then a villain with a mustache and whip comes along and marches people off to an auction block....then a few people run away so they send the hounds after them...

wtf...from Walmart...:eek: Luckily my kids didn't understand it...

2. daisymae

daisymae Senior Member

Another one is about a happy family, then the wife gets a career and everything goes to hell...
    -the husband starts drinking and smoking heavily
    -the kid runs away
    -they are starving
    -no clean clothes to wear

But then she comes back and starts vacuuming and it all goes back to normal...

A big message at the end "The moral of the story: A woman's place is in the home" :eek:

It's funny how this used to be ok...

3. YankNBurn

YankNBurn Owner

Pretty odd to see that, and to think when we were kids we had no clue either. Remember Bier Rabbit, lol They like totaly hid that movie for alot of years becuase of its content.

4. daisymae

daisymae Senior Member

It's also funny how a lot of catoon characters are smokers...;)

On the plus..there are a lot of Popeye and Bugs Bunny ones...

5. YankNBurn

YankNBurn Owner

They call em childrens classics but if you research them, those old cartoons were never intended for children in the begining. Bugs Bunny and ect were orientated to Adults and were short clips in theaters to convey humor at the war and such to adults. It was not till later that they rolled into childrens fun. Yup they smoked drank, looked at women, women tried ot lure men and played them, ect. We just saw it as funny, takes an adult mind to spoil the perspective views of a child. They can watch and have fun having no clue but some adult will spell it out for them and ruin it. I think at times life is far better seeing it thru the eyes of a child.

6. TheGanjaKing

TheGanjaKing Newbie

I have this set.... good stuff

7. hippychickmommy

hippychickmommy Sugar and Spice

It's funny how you become even more aware of the content in movies once you're a parent!

8. Biggen

Biggen Banned

I watched all these when I was a kid, too. This was before they sanitized all the old Warner Bros. and Tom & Jerry cartoons. Sure, they are some fucked up stereotypes and rather adult themes in those cartoons. They didn't warp my sensibilities or turn me into a racist, sexist idiot.

I can't even watch Bugs Bunny or any of those old shows on TV anymore. (If they actually air them at all) It makes me cringe when they don't show the guns being fired, or how they overdubbed the maid's voice in the Tom & Jerry cartoons to make her sound "less black".

I bought a collection a few years ago similar to the one you mentioned. It was fun to see all those shows I haven't seen in years, unsanitized...the way they're supposed to be.

Allright, sorry. I'm very passionate about my classic toons, damnit. Excuse my rant.:)

9. crummyrummy

crummyrummy Brew Your Own Beer Lifetime Supporter

yeah, I got a 1.99 vhs with bugs classics on em, lotsa rascist stereo types, "all this and wabbit stew" stucks out in my mind....

10. DancerAnnie

DancerAnnie Resident Beach Bum

The above posters are right. Cartoons back then were not intended for children because they weren't on TV, they were in theaters and who went to theaters back then? Rich white people...generally. Racism and Sexism were always two really prolific themes in them.

11. bird_migration

bird_migration ~

Nowadays we are overprotective and terribly politically correct.
    I hope that is going to change soon, because it does not make this world a more fun place to live in.

12. Mr MiGu

Mr MiGu King of the Zombies

its not going to change unless we all start to change it......

13. bird_migration

bird_migration ~

I try my best.

14. Kinky Ramona

Kinky Ramona Back by popular demand!

Cartoons used to be more or less like the political comic strips in papers are today. Like DancerAnnie said, they weren't originally intended for kids.

15. madcrappie

madcrappie crazy fish

my neice was over at my parents house..... she wanted to watch cartoon network, so I turned it there, and tom n jerry was on. she got all excited, its her favourite cartoon....... I remember watching it as a kid, too, right........ and I sat there watching it, just thinkin to myself, damn this cartoon is fuckin violent as hell...... how did my parents ever let us watch cartoons like that was beyond me.