So people are afraid of the Women's Issues

Discussion in 'Women's Forum' started by Super_Grrl, Feb 1, 2005.

1. Super_Grrl

Super_Grrl Crazy love

What's up with that? Do you think we've created some sort of toxic, hostile environment that survives on people's fear? It's not just men that don't come here, there's a lot of women who are afraid to come here as well. You know, it kind of makes me sad. We're supposed to be learning from eachother. I'd hate to think that we're just putting up walls. That said, I can't really think of a reason why people - especially other women - wouldn't want to come here...there's a lot of interesting discussions going on.

2. headymoechick

headymoechick I have no idea

really?

I was a little apprehensive at first, but you guys give me such warm, comforting advice! Sure opinions get strong, but we discuss strong topics.

I can't imagine someone NOT wanting to post here- men and women alike. Most of you girls are just SOO nice!

3. ForestNymphe

ForestNymphe Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I don't think it is a hostile or toxic forum at all. While I do not post too often here, I certainly take the time to read. There is alot of great advice and wisdom in this forum.

4. Super_Grrl

Super_Grrl Crazy love

See? That's what I thought too. But it seems like people think this is some kind of man-hating place or something, which really makes me sad. :( I was curious if maybe the women's forum was sending out a bad vibe or something...but I can't imagine that, I love it here.

5. interval_illusion

interval_illusion Deceased

i dont come here all the time or anything but ive never felt a negative vibe here.

6. ForestNymphe

ForestNymphe Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Many intimate moments are shared here, which is a good thing. Perhaps some folks feel a little shy.
    I am a pretty quiet and private person regarding certain women's issues but I do find a great wealth of community and knowledge here.

7. Sera Michele

Sera Michele Senior Member

I love it here! I enjoy giving/getting advice, and I think we have a great moderator and a good group of regulars, it makes it feel like a community.

I don't know why more men and women don't post here, but they are missing out :p

8. peacelovebarefeet

peacelovebarefeet BuRniN oNe...

ive never felt scared to post here... and ive never felt it to be a hostile environment.. maybe men see it as "girl talk where all we talk about are our periods" or something? i dont really know.. all i know is that i love the women's issues!

9. ihmurria

ihmurria fini

well, there have been a few snide comments and the occasional comment that could be construed as an attack in here. But no more so than any other forum on the hip's (the "slavery is still an issue" thread is a good example), and usually only when the OP comes back and defends their position with as much hostility as possible (from what I've seen at hipforums though)

But I've never felt threatened here. I think that if you're a little bit more of a regular poster than just one thread, it's a lot easier to be accepted. And the view of us as man-haters is completely wrong, heh.

10. TheLittleOne

TheLittleOne Senior Member

i thought at first everyone here were feminists or something, but you all have helped me out in my time of need or advice.

11. dawn_sky

dawn_sky Senior Member

Aren't we? I thought most of the regulars would consider themselves feminists.... ?

I know for a while there this forum was inundated with trolls... I missed most of it, as life was getting in the way of my online time, but what I saw of them was rather unpleasant... I would imagine that anyone who dropped by for the first time during that period would be hesitant to come back...

And, then, there is that general fear of being labeled a *gasp* feminist... Like that's such a narrow category that we all run around wearing flannel shirts & jeans with buzz cut hair dyed funky colors, screaming "damn the man"! No, a feminist couldn't possibly be a rational, normal, ordinary person who just happens to see gender equality (not male suppression) as an ideal... Never... (sorry, I'm in an especially sarcastic mood tonite, dunno why!)

12. TheLittleOne

TheLittleOne Senior Member

i didn't mean that in a bad connotation

13. Super_Grrl

Super_Grrl Crazy love

See that's why I don't identify as a feminist anymore...it's not worth the flack. "Oh, you must be a man-hating lesbian..." I mean no offense to women who ARE man-hating lesbians, but simply believing in women's equality does not mean all these other things. I've heard a lot of comments about these kinds of things, like the women's forum is some sort of taboo place unless you're into hacking off penises... it's really sad.

14. Mui

Mui Senior Member

actually im sure a lot of the feminists are the reason why people are scurred...

15. Heat

Heat Smile, it's contagious! :) Lifetime Supporter

I tend to post what I think and walk as otherwise at times it is not a wise thing to stay and do battle.

Simply, not worth it.

My opinion is just that and others are as well and while I can accept other opinions, I do not wish to do battle over my own......I am simply past that in life as to justify what I think or feel is no longer needed other than to myself....

So I would think that all should just post what they think and feel if not a flame and then let it lay rather than argue that their way is the only way. :)

That be life. ;)

16. dotadave

dotadave Member

I've never noticed that and I'm a man. I have never felt unwelcome here, even in expressing views contrary to that of some flavors of feminism.

17. Juggalo4ever

Juggalo4ever KingoftheChubbyGirls

I'm terrified of this forum :D

18. superNova

superNova Member

i don't really know what you're talking about. this forum isn't any more spammed and trolled and argumentative than most anywhere else on the forums. it's a shame if you've felt that way, but i don't really feel it's justified anymore than a fear of the politics, vegetarianism, america attacks, random thoughts (that place is a war zone half the time), relationships, higher ed, religion and philosophy forums.. i've seen some pretty livid arguments in the majority of the forums here.

and never be afraid to be yourself. if you don't consider yourself a feminist, then fine. but to say you aren't one to avoid the "flack" is really quite sad. i don't care what anyone says about me, i'll be a feminist 'til the end. :)

19. yummy

yummy Banned

yeah and that freaks us all out............

20. dawn_sky

dawn_sky Senior Member

Yeah, but too many people do... My commentary on the narrow view of feminists was not directed at you, it was just a slight (in some cases very slight) exaggeration of the views I've come across on & offline... Those few with the loudest mouths and most controversial opinions are the ones who get attention, creating stereotypes. Then, too many women who actually do understand what feminism is, as in the breadth of opinions it encompasses, decide to stop identifying as feminists because they get tired of having to explain it over & over... It gets really fricking annoying to deal with some of the stereotypes people throw out there. I only get into it about half of the times it comes up. But if we just give up & stop dealing with the flack, the stereotype takes over and becomes the only meaning of the word...