So, if YOU were around in the 60's...

Discussion in 'LSD - Acid Trips' started by RoBoWaLkEr, Aug 17, 2005.

1. RoBoWaLkEr

RoBoWaLkEr Member

Do you think you'd be one of Leary's cronies in the brotherhood of eternal love...OR would you be one of Kesey's "merry pranksters"? Which fits your personality type more?

I personally could see myself in some ways as both, but I would probably end up on the psychedelically colored bus travelling the country (merry pranksters)!

2. BraceYourEyes

BraceYourEyes Member

acid tests, freakin screamin orgies with hundreds of heads or being cooped up in a victorian style mansion with a bunch of quiet old-fashioned intellectuals meditating?

is that even a question? count me ON the bus :)

3. mushie18

mushie18 Intergalactic

i would be with leary..

4. IronGoth

IronGoth Newbie

Kesey. Leary was a moron.

I argued with him at a tech seminar. Dude should have stuck to waffling on about drugs. He gave some rambling lecture about God knows what and tried to talk semiotics.

I discussed, at the interval, with him his errors in understanding McLuhan. He told me sharply "I used to drink with McLuhan." I said "yeah, but you never read his books" and quietly pointed to chapter and verse of where he was wrong. Pissy little tit. Got all hufty too cause the audience was full of old hippies wanting to talk about drugs whereas he was trying to sell his virtual reality company.

5. Libertine

Libertine Guru of Hedonopia

I WOULD BE WITH LEARY AS WELL.

Timothy Leary is one of the FEW I could call a personal "hero" of sorts.

Fuckin' waaaaayyyy ahead of his time.

However, Kesey is another one of my favorite people. :eek:

6. mynameiskc

mynameiskc way to go noogs!

the whole brotherhood of love definitely suits me better.

7. Ranger

Ranger Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I was there and involved with both. Ken was more my type me being a hippie/outlaw biker type at the time, but the common denominator we could all talk about was good smoke.:)

8. IronGoth

IronGoth Newbie

Sigh - Libertine, are we ALWAYS going to disagree?

;)

9. Libertine

;) It seems that way, doesn't it?

10. Grapefruity

Grapefruity Sunny Side Up

Leary...Im kind of more intellectual...and I can't take bigger doses without applicating his techniques :p ...

11. nesta

nesta Banned

i think leary was on to something, even if he wasn't as great as people made him out to be. but then you have to expect that, i mean he did halfway abandon science, and tried to merge it with spirituality.

ken kesey, on the other hand, kind of repels me very strongly. theres something "cool" about the acid rock west coast thing....the acid test and tom wolfes book and all that...but while i think both camps caused a LOT of damage to american society, at least leary was noble in intent. ken kesey and his band of drug abusing hippies just wanted another drug to fuck them up, it seems. what did they gain from it?

i think perhaps the time may have had something to do with it. maybe america did need a tidal wave of psychedelics to hit the general public. but i STRONGLY disagree with the way in which kesey and his camp treated what i consider to be a very special sacrament.

12. 2cesarewild

2cesarewild I'm an idiot.

Leary was a nut towards the end of his career.

13. 2cesarewild

2cesarewild I'm an idiot.

Kesey had FUN. I don't think that's mistreating LSD.

14. Libertine

I think I lean more towards agreeing with nesta.

Leary's method was much better in my opinion. Although, I don't get into his later "spiritual" bullshit, which I think was just a sensationalism created on his part to aid the furtherance of LSD. Had he stuck with a more scientific approach, he may have been taken more seriously.

However, he was challenging (not rebelling against) the establishment. And I respect and admire that completely.

15. nesta

nesta Banned

leary was a nut. i agree. and the older he got, the wierder he got. but there was some method to his madness.

kesey wanted just another drug. he left FAR more "casualties" in his wake than did leary. their personal experiences are irrelevant. what matters is how the people around them (their "followers") turned out. learys experiences, while wierd and crazy and perhaps overzealous, at least had some structure in them to provide an opportunity for growth and insight. kesey just drove around taking too many drugs just to have a good time. read the electric kool-aid acid test (about kesey, not by, but pretty true to life afaik) and then read some books by leary and try to deny that leary, at his peak, was the more sane and enlightened of the two....

16. peacelovebarefeet

peacelovebarefeet BuRniN oNe...

merry pranksters....

17. Weatherman

Weatherman Member

I got to go with Kesey. I personally dislike the structure and dogmatism of Leary's approach.

18. shameless_heifer

shameless_heifer Super Moderator

For a good time, take a ride on the Bus, for mind stimulating experience take the lightbeam from Mystic Arts.

I was also there for both.. I turned on with Leary in Mejeska Canyon in so Cali in 64. I tripped on the Bus with Ken Kesey and Emmit Grogan in The a Haight and Golden Gate Park and Buena Vista Park in 66.

I drew lessons from both, but Leary had more of an impact on me then did the Pranksters, Kesey, and Grogan put together. Leary had a certian Light in his work, a dedication to his beliefs.

19. Libertine

Timothy Leary's not dead...he's on the outside looking in...

20. Schlüßelberg

Schlüßelberg Member

I lean towards Nesta's approach, but I had been known to dance all night when the trip went exctatic, you know, the good vibes and the energy just made you have to get up and boogie. Dionysian spirituality.