so, how does your garden grow?

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by cerridwen, May 26, 2006.

1. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

well? what's your favourite thing to grow in your garden?

2. poor_old_dad

poor_old_dad Senior Member

Hi, Cerriden, how's it been going? Maybe you should do a poll about which varities of tomato folks grow.

Peace,
    poor_old_dad

3. mamaboogie

mamaboogie anarchist

all of the above...

I think I like my flowers best, though. especially the perennials and bulbs that come back no matter how badly I've neglected them!

4. Cool Spruce

Cool Spruce Member

I do a little of all of it, with lawns being near the low end. Lawns are cool, but in my opinion, they shouldn't rule. I won't claim to be great at all of it. I do a lot of gardening and tree management for my living, so my place gets ignored all too often.

In a way, dandelions do count. They're not the worst weed, although you may not want a huge crop of dandelion seeds to spread all over. But you may notice the soil being a little richer near where dandelions grow, and there's a reason for that. If you must destroy them, and sometimes it must be done, add them to the compost pile, or the mulch hay in the vegetable garden. They should not be tossed in the trash, as if they are some kind of toxic substance. Any more than leaves should.

5. bamboo

bamboo Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

well as you might guess from my sig...I grow bamboo. Lot's of bamboo. i presently have thirty varities that range from 1 foot tall verigated dwarfs to 40 foot by three inch in diameter giants.

6. *josai*

*josai* Member

i grow it all....well except for the grassy lawn, which i am continually digging up to make more veggie/herb beds!!!!

7. aeshna5

aeshna5 Member

A naturalistic garden- mix of natives + exotics, not too manicured- trees, shrubs, flowers + of course a pond. With this a good variety of wildlife attracted to my paradise!

8. yarrow_sun

yarrow_sun Member

Whatever can survive without much care, will come back, and will multiply.
    I have some flowers that look like Black eyed susans, it's a perinneal, and has spread to take over the whole 10 x 6 ft area from 1 plant. I like hostas too.

9. SpreadingFlowers

SpreadingFlowers Member

Well, seeing as veggies is all I ever grow.. I guess veggies :)

10. Floyd Soul

Floyd Soul The Walkin' Dude

I have a number of vegetable patches, and two raised beds for herbs and salad crops. A few flower beds and loads of trees.

11. ElChivato

ElChivato SeNioR MeMBeR

"let me wander in your garden and the seed of love i'll sow!"
    love grows in my garden.

flowers are my favourite. i love pansies and lillies and morning glories.

12. Kris

Kris Visitor

Herbs, veggies and fruits. I live in the city so space is limited. Pleanty of flowers everywhere too.