So can only people from Jewish blood adopt Judeaism?

Discussion in 'Judaism' started by polishman, Feb 14, 2014.

1. polishman

polishman Member

I was just wondering about this. I am a Polish immigrant. My birth name was Jakub Szucko, hardly a Jewish name. I am on a search to find my spirituality, and I have found Christianity unfulfilling, Buddhism too empty and other religions really didn't speak to me. I truly admire the Jewish faith, but what's the point if I am not a Jew, I was not born of a Jewish mother, and I am not part of the Jewish culture in any way. I just want to get in touch with God, and feed my spirit. I really admire the sense of community in the Jewish culture and I would like to find that somewhere. My parents were raised Catholic but became Atheists and brought me up that way.

2. r0llinstoned

r0llinstoned Gute Nacht, süßer Prinz

3. FranklinS

FranklinS Member

polishman, you can convert to Judaism. Which kind of Judaism interests you? What do you find appealing about Judaism?

BirdFlu likes this.
  4. sunfighter

sunfighter Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Marilyn Monroe and Sammy Davis, Jr., converted to Judaism.

5. polishman

polishman Member

FranklinS, I am not sure which type yet. I have been filming a BBYO convention, for the Jewish youth. I used to go to a Christian church, to try and find my faith. I never could quite get into it. I don't like the beliefs that focus so much on the afterlife and Hell.

I am very, very impressed by the high values and standards being taught to the Jewish youth, and also the tightness of the Jewish community. I also admire very much the fact that what you do in life and what you represent is so important, as well as kindness to others. I have never seen such strong sense of community, even among other faiths. I don't feel like I belong to anything right now, and I don't see a point in living or a higher purpose at the moment. I believe in God and I have felt the holy Spirit before, I want to get in tune with this.

BirdFlu likes this.
  6. bratgirl

bratgirl Member

The Judeasm faith believes in God and that Christ was not a savior, but only a teacher or worse, a profit. This part of the Jewish faith may be a road block for you as it is for many people that were raised to believe Christ was the savior of man, and died for the sins of all mankind. I wish you great luck in your search. Brat Girl

7. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

^^ take your evangelical BS elsewhere. We have TWO xtian forums. Go there.

1 person likes this.
  8. Mr.Writer

Mr.Writer Senior Member

It is not Buddhism which is empty, but you. This is not an insult. This is said with love from the emptiness in me. if you want to shop around at the grocery store of superstition for the bottle of paternal comfort which tastes the best to you, go for it. Just know that it is an insult to honesty and to true seeking.

“The common error of ordinary religious
    practice is to mistake the symbol for the
    reality, to look at the finger pointing
    the way and then to suck it for comfort
    rather than follow it.”
    - Alan Watts

9. Still Kicking

Still Kicking Members

I know this thread is getting kind of old, but polishman you could also check out the Noahides. They are Gentiles who follow some of the Jewish laws and study with Jewish people. I interacted with them for a while and it was pretty interesting. There are specific laws that pertain to Gentiles, according to the Jews, and most Jewish communities know what they are about. I quit though because I started being called a heretic for questioning some of what we were told. WHich is funny, as the rabbi's I talked to said that the Jews were taught to question everything to assure themselves that what they were being told was right.
    One of the rabbi's even told me that they were supposed to question the existence of their god, and to study the matter fully so they could assure themselves that what they believed was true, if that was the conclusion they reached after studying the matter.
    During the 4 years I did just that, I came to the conclusion that there is no supreme being, at least so far as those religions that believe in that sort of thing goes. Now I prefer to study humanism, naturalism, those sort of things, and try to learn how to get along with other people better. Hard to do, it seems, but worth the effort.

10. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

Polishman. You can certainly covert to Judaism. Are you circumcised? Would you be planning tobe an observant Jew, as far as eating & drinking kosher is concerened?

11. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

Have the rules changed? Atheists post quite frequently on one of those "xtian" forums, and nothing that bratgirl said could reasonably be considered proselytizing. Nor did she quote scripture.

1 person likes this.
  12. Monkey Boy

Monkey Boy Senior Member

To the OP. You could be of Jewish descent without knowing it. I had a DNA test done last year and discovered I had Jewish ancestors. It was a complete surprise.

BirdFlu likes this.
  13. deleted

deleted Visitor

just as you can convert to hippiesm without dropping LSD.. [​IMG]

14. Anaximenes

Anaximenes Senior Member

Lee Marvin; I remember him, not in Cat Balou, but is the Guns of Navarone.

15. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

yeah, but Lee Marvin DID take LSD.

16. Cannabliss88

Cannabliss88 Members

Orthodox Judaism might not accept you. Reform Judaism on the other hand is very open to converts at least at the synagogue I used to attend.

17. deleted

deleted Visitor

you can do what you want to do.. in living color...

18. Cannabliss88

Cannabliss88 Members

Orison is right. You dream it, you can manifest it.

19. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

If you're not feeling the paranoid delusion..... that's a good thing, not a bad thing.

Have some suck with your reality - at least it's real.

Life is cold and empty and meaningless, you've got to build from there. There's no magic pill or book that will make it better, although there are a lot of magic books that people ruin their lives trying to believe.

20. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

I did not know these two did but I knew Elizabeth Taylor did.