Snowmageddon 2 (but they call it Benji)

Discussion in 'Latest Hip News Stories' started by GeorgeJetStoned, Dec 9, 2017.

1. GeorgeJetStoned

GeorgeJetStoned Odd Member

Back in 2014 we had Snowmageddon 1 in Atlanta. They said we'd probably get a "light dusting" so employers kept people at work and schools refused to close. The results made the news all over the country as everyone laughed at how ill prepared the south was for a major snowstorm.

No plows, no brine trucks and no common sense about what everyone could see on radar. Jane, my wife, picked up the children from school and one of the principals had the nerve to say "it's going to count as unexcused". Hours later that same dumbass biatch had to set up camp at school because nobody could get a vehicle to it. The South’s disastrous response to the winter storm, in pictures

The same thing happened yesterday. It was predicted to be another "light dusting" maybe an inch at best. I went to work and everybody was going 30 mph because they were scared of a FEW flakes. Took me 2 hours to get to work only to hear everyone talk about leaving early. I put on my headphones and began writing boring shit while listening to Absolut radio from Germany.

Then a message popped up, the boss said we'd close at 3PM. About 20 minutes later another message says we'd close at 1PM. I looked at the traffic maps online, all red and orange. No way I was getting out into that. Then I looked at the radar and figured the worst would hit around 5PM. So I left at 3 and it only took 45 minutes to make a trip that usually takes an hour. I even stopped by the liquor store to stock up and made a call to my veggie delivery man who met me at the house.

We got 8 inches. What's really funny though is the way people in the south raid the grocery stores and wipe out the milk and bread supplies. Then I found a painting that totally captures it:
    [​IMG]

Calling this storm "Benji" only makes me think of..............
    [​IMG]

Instead, I have broken tree limbs, impassable county roads and the stench of biodiesel from having to run the generator.

2. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I remember my friend in Atlanta had to ditch his truck on the interstate and walk 5 miles home after sitting in hours of standstill traffic for the first go round in 2014.

Traffic was pretty bad here too yesterday, I was looking at the traffic report before I left work and there were wrecks every possible route home. but I guess everyone left work early except me, by the time I left at 5 the wrecks were cleared and traffic was light. Being a southerner, that was actually my first time driving in snow and it really wasnt bad, I dunno why people have such a struggle with it in the south

3. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

Incredible.

When I was living in New England, eight inches of snow was nothing. It was just another day. It's interesting how one municipality can be brought to its knees by something another region shrugs off without much thought.

4. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Normally you'd be absolutely correct 8 inches of snow is nothing here in New England except this storm was the first snowstorm of the year

And as you know for reasons not easily understood, everyone, every year, seems to develop amnesia on how to drive in snow from one year to the next.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
  5. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

You should see what happens when we have snow here in the UK. 95% of people do not have a clue how to drive and end up calling the garages and emergency services complaining that their car wont accelerate although the wheels seem to be turning faster, or the steering and brakes have failed. Then when they end up in a ditch, they make the excuse that they were trying to get home faster before they had an accident. It is truly unbelievable. Last night a gritter lorry ended up on its roof in less than an inch of snow.