snickers no longer satisfies

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by kitty fabulous, May 16, 2007.

1. kitty fabulous

kitty fabulous smoked tofu

2. homeschoolmama

homeschoolmama Senior Member

(sigh)

Guess it's a good thing I've been working on ONLY eating dark organic chocolate then. Thanks for the update!
    love,
    mom

3. Crystalsatreehugger

Crystalsatreehugger Member

Hostess chocalate cupcakes have more beef fat in them than cocoa. Shits crazy

4. WalkerInTheWoods

WalkerInTheWoods Member

After eating dark organic chocolate those other bars, such as snickers, are no longer appealing in the least. While they might be more expensive, they last longer as you usually don't (can't?) eat a whole bar in one sitting. The flavor is a lot more intense and satisfying so a small amount is all you need. One bar usually lasts me about a week. I suggest trying Green & Black's if you can find it. They are labeled by the ingredients if they are vegetarian and/or vegan safe.

5. mrsshf

mrsshf Member

I do have to give them credit for at least saying something. I'm assuming that they decided to change their whey source in response to the increased price of cocoa.

Of course, as a Vegan, I wasn't eating milk chocolate anyway, but it's always sad when the number of options gets smaller for anyone of the Vegetarian persuasion.

6. homeschoolmama

MMMM... Green & Blacks - YES! My other favorites are the Endangered Species chocolates.

I can't eat more than a square or two either... and I'm a certified chocoholic!

I'm working on a "quality over quantity" approach to sweetie foods that I don't really need. So no more Snickers or Junior Mints... but I'm budgeting one or two GOOD bars of chocolate into our monthly grocery budget :)
    love,
    mom

7. hummblebee

hummblebee hipstertist.

^^ Describes me perfectly, mama. I get totally addicted to things like chocolate. But a couple times a month is all it takes to buy a bar (usually the endangered species, because it's cheaper than green&black) and eat a square or two a day. :) Even with the munchies I can't come close to finishing. ;)

8. Avocado Noni

Avocado Noni Member

http://www.sunfood.com/cgi-bin/order/index.cgi?id=296542025551-2027&d=single&item_id=0878&m=home - The best organic chocolate I have ever had. Really, that's the only chocolate I ever eat, maybe a dagoba xolatyl(sp?) bar occasionally, but that is by far the best chocolate I have ever experienced in my life...

I don't think mars would be a good company to have been supporting to begin with, and they actually source a lot of their cacao beans on the ivory coast in Africa, where child slavery on cacao plantations is prevelant.

That's not really a great way to spend your dollar. Chocolate is one of those things where you really should go fair trade and organic, even if it does costs like, a dollar more. A child's life is worth more than a dollar!

9. homeschoolmama

Raw cacao beans... aren't they bitter?
    My 70% cacao bars are so strong I'm imagining something akin to chewing straight espresso.
    love,
    mom

10. Carlfloydfan

Carlfloydfan Travel lover

Good thing I don't eat that poor excuse for a chocolate.

11. Magical Fire Lady

Magical Fire Lady Senior Member

Ewww why???
    I don't eat candy bars either, they ARE a poor excuse for chocolate. Probably have no actual chocolate in them.
    Thanks for letting us know about the rennet though, I'll look out on Halloween. =P

12. Carlfloydfan

haha :)

13. honeyfugle

honeyfugle pumpkin

good thing i'm vegan and never ate snickers, mars bars etc anyway... and it's true - poor excuse for chocolate! so packet full of additives, e-numbers anyway...

i only eat 3 types of chocolate regularly:
    1. chocolate stars cereal (organic, vegan)
    2. organic chocolate spread (organic, vegan) -- this stuff is just the best thing ever!
    3. dairy free chocolate bar + rice from supermarkets like tesco, sainsburys etc (vegan)

and not much else!

although in my omni days i did very much enjoy a good lion bar... glad thats not the case anymore!

14. Carlfloydfan

If I were to become vegan, would I have to cut out Nutella?

If so, I just couldn't do it!!

although cutting out goat cheese and imported French cheeses would be tough too.

15. homeschoolmama

Nutella has skim milk in it, so yes. I do miss goat cheeses! (lactose intolerance)

I can't be vegan either - I'm addicted to honey and I wear secondhand wool.
    love,
    mom

16. Willy_Wonka_27

Willy_Wonka_27 Surrender to the Flow

i only eat organic rice milk chocolate(vegan)... its the best, smoothest chocolate Ive ever had.

17. leedsdog

leedsdog Member

I heard that report on the radio the other day. In it they said that if it's best before date is before October 07 then it is veggie. I looked at a bar in the newsagent today and it's best before date was in December 07 but I couldn't tell from the ingredients that it was not veggie.

I wonder if it just that they gave the October date to be sure and some after that will still be veggie or if if the rennet isn't in the ingredients as rennet. They said something about whey on the radio ( I had just woken up so I don't remember that well) I kind of got the impression that the rennet (which I know to look out for was under whey in the ingredients. Is this right.

Maybe I should just be done with it and go 100% vegan ?

Andy
    Hi by the way ... my first post.

18. kitty fabulous

kitty fabulous smoked tofu

welcome to the forums, man!

i really usually eat organic chocolate myself (my favorite being rapunzel's hazelnut creme) i know it's healthier, but i have to admit i don't really like dark chocolate.

you can get cocoa nibs in some health food stores - these are broken cacao beans, and you can grind them in a coffee grinder for homemade cocoa powder, or better yet, grind and brew them with your coffee for the most amazing mocha you've ever had.

anyway, regardless, i thought that snickers/mars were an importanat enough product, and easily recognizable enough, that i figured i'd better post, especially for the newer vegetarians who might just assume a product is "safe". to the newer veggies, don't worry, as you can see by the other posts here, it's not necessary to give up chocolate, even if you're vegan, but you do have to be more careful and conscious of what you put in your body - which is always a good thing, whatever your motivation.

peace,
    lizzy

ps. goat cheese...mmmmm! (wipes drool off chin)

19. Magical Fire Lady

Magical Fire Lady Senior Member

I don't understand why they're putting rennet in it anyway... Anyone know?

20. homeschoolmama

I don't know - I was wondering the same thing... isn't rennet what they use to make CHEESE?!?

Oh yeah, just a quick thought - I told my husband about this, and he pointed out this means no more M&Ms for the kids either (still wondering where that came from as my choices haven't affected them yet - but I'm not complaining) since they're made by the same company! That got me thinking a bit, so I peeked in the Mars website... and it covers more than I'd thought! No more:

M&Ms
    3 Musketeers
    Dove
    Kudos
    Milky Way
    Twix
    OR Snickers!

That's pretty much the whole front end-cap at my local grocery store.
    love,
    mom