Snack food thread.

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Bilby, Jan 23, 2020.

1. Vladimir Illich

Vladimir Illich Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

What ??? - Sacrilege !!! - No mushy peas, no chips and no pickled onions ??? Just not right !!!

:wink:

2. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

Popcorn is my favorite snack food, I guess. I am more of a sweet person than a salty person (literally and figuratively ;) )

By "snack food" do you mean, like processed foods?

3. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I'm not british or in the UK! At least I don't eat it raw, like seems to be the thing these days ;) :D

4. Vladimir Illich

Has been the tradition at a place called Vollendam for many decades, if not centuries.

5. Asmodean

True, raw herring... and not just in Volendam. But in the last decades sushi became more popular, which is what i ment ;)

And I for one don't eat raw herring.

6. Have you ever eaten olebulen which is similar to a dish that is called spotted dick.
    It's a dutch snack

7. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

Sorry I don't see the similarities between dutch doughnuts and spotted dick that is a type of steamed pudding.

8. I saw a show on lifestyle food and the pudding is made the same way as what oliebulen is made.
    Anyway it’s a delicious snack.
    Make Dutch New Year's Doughnuts Any Time of Year

9. Bilby

If it is done the right way, I don’t think that deep fried food is unhealthy if t is done the tight way. That is to say in dripping, lard, palm oil or coconut oil. Phil Sokolof, a businessman who suffered a heart attack in his 40s. This led him to blame animal fats and went as far as taking out full newspaper adverts to pressure McDonalds to switch form deep frying in dripping to seed oil. I would no doubt his sincerity, but it does show a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing.

Phil Sokolof - Wikipedia

Seriously speaking, what is bad for your sex life is bad for your heart.

10. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

I Agree.........A 10 Year "Drought" In My Sex Life Has Led To A "Broken Heart"......:cry:

Cheers Glen.

Bicaptain My Captain likes this.
  11. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

Today I was in a plant-based eating class and explained to the presenter that my go-to snacks (trail mix, dried fruits) aren't working because they are so caloric that I can only realistically have a few handfuls if I expect to continue losing weight and am thus unsatisfied and still hungry. She recommended natures fast food - fruit. So today I bought two mangos along with some tofu that works as a protein (7g per serving - 5 servings per container). Well I ate a third of that tofu for the record so more than 7 grams. Anyway, the two mangos are a snack for me because I'm a big eater. But for someone who isn't, maybe half a banana will do ya.

12. Don't let people who are vegan tell you to follow their diets. Being a vegan is not for everyone.

However, if i was to have a banana i would have it in a sandwich.

soulcompromise likes this.
  13. I wouldn't go with deep fried food because it is actually really bad for your heart.

However, you might like the taste.

I don't like deep fried food.
    It's too salty for me.

14. Bilby

OK, how long have humans been deep frying food for? When did people start having heart attacks?

15. Vladimir Illich

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm !!!

16. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

This seminar is led by a dietitian & she is good. Everything she said made perfect sense and she had a ton of scientific sources. I'm convinced I will live longer for eating this way, but don't take my word for it. There's a nifty book about healthy eating if you're interested in that sort of thing called "How Not To Die". I haven't read it myself, but the lady I listened to (the one leading the series of seminars) loves it and I heard about it from someone else on the web too. It has a chapter on how not to die from diabetes, one for cancer, one for heart disease, and so on. It's got something for everyone.

Anyway, one of the things that I found agreeable was that she seemed to recognize that sometimes people who have undertaken a vegan diet tend to do like you're saying - pressure others in a way that isn't as comfortable as it could be. She speaks in terms of a "plant-based" diet, and very specifically states that it isn't "vegan" and that "there's a difference". She also says there's nothing wrong with being vegan and that vegans are some of the healthiest people around. It was very informative but I didn't stay for her whole lecture, lol. :) I got so excited & wanted to go eat healthy right away, so I went to Whole Foods (a healthy grocery store here in the States) and went to the organic salad bar! :D

Bicaptain My Captain likes this.
  17. Bilby

18. Asmodean

Yes, oliebollen (oilballs) are a custom to eat around new years eve. My mom made them every year.

19. People have been putting on weight because of it. It’s not good for your health.
    My late natural mother used to deep fry everything. Unfortunately she lost her life last year.