Smoking While preg?

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by auddy, Feb 16, 2009.

1. auddy

auddy Member

I was wondering if it was ok to toke up when your preg? Ive heard both stories and met people who have and havent but i want more opinions

2. hippychickmommy

hippychickmommy Sugar and Spice

In my honest opinion, I think it's completely irresponsible to do while pregnant.

3. mamaKCita

mamaKCita fucking stupid.

yeah, though you may want to, your body is not your own right now.

4. Traceroni.

Traceroni. Senior Member

I agree with them, it's so much worse for the baby than it is for you.

5. Willy_Wonka_27

Willy_Wonka_27 Surrender to the Flow

From what I hear from mothers who have, they say its important that it is high quality marijuana, so as one hit is all that is needed. Vaporizer is the best option, or eating it.

But most importantly they say that the only reason to use it during pregnancy is for medicinal purposes.

None of the mothers I have talked to say the marijuana had any negative effect to they child that they can see. And say that is much better than an epidural shot!

6. mizanthrope

mizanthrope Member

I would have to say... NO. Don't be an idiot!

7. fricknfrack

fricknfrack Member

Although i have never done it and i don't have never given birth. I was in class one day and they showed us a video of mothers who did /and didn't smoke and the impact it had on the mothers/babies. After a few years when the child was in school they were a few years behind low birth weight lungs weren't fully developed asthma at a very early age. Pneunomia every so often. The comperhension in school was 2 levels below the avg child. By no means am i saying the child is retarded. My mother didn't take very good care of herself and i ended up being a very unhealthy baby. Just please if you honestly want a healthy baby , YOU take care of you and the ones surrounding you. Esp the one thats in you.

8. sarahrei

sarahrei ~Lover~

No, it's not good to smoke anything while pregnant.

9. Strawberry_Fields_Fo

Strawberry_Fields_Fo RN

Good lord, if you can't go 9 months without smoking weed something is wrong with you. Part of parenting is being mature enough to make sacrifices, and if you can't handle the "sacrifice" of giving up weed, you might be in for a rude surprise when the kid is born. This is nothing.

10. jgirl

jgirl Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Anyone who knows me here knows how much i love smoking. But you have to think, would you give a joint to a baby?? Would you get a baby stoned?? I personally could not imagine doing that or putting it into a baby's body, especially a baby that is trying to develop. You have the best incentive in the world for you to just not smoke for 9 months! The day I took a pregnancy test with all 3 of my babies was the last day I smoked until after the baby was born. There are a lot of people that do smoke and swear by it for morning sickness, but for me, I just never could (as much as I'd love to). So just abstain until the baby is born, it will be worth it!! If I can do it, so can you! Good luck!

11. zombiewolf

zombiewolf Senior Member

Please have a look at this study.
    http://www.druglibrary.org/schaffer/hemp/medical/can-babies.htm

ABSTRACT.

Objective. To identify neurobehavioral effects of prenatal marijuana exposure on neonates in rural Jamaica.

Design. Ethnographic field studies and standardized neurobehavior assessments during the neonatal period.

Setting. Rural Jamaica in heavy-marijuana-using population.

Participants. Twenty-four Jamaican neonates exposed to marijuana prenatally and 20 nonexposed neonates.

Measurements and main results. Exposed and nonexposed neonates were compared at 3 days and 1 month old, using the Brazelton Neonatal Assessment Scale, including supplementary items to capture possible subtle effects. There were no significant differences between exposed and nonexposed neonates on day 3. At 1 month, the exposed neonates showed better physiological stability and required less examiner facilitation to reach organized states. The neonates of heavy-marijuana-using mothers had better scores on autonomic stability, quality of alertness, irritability, and self-regulation and were judged to be more rewarding for caregivers.

Conclusions. The absence of any differences between the exposed on nonexposed groups in the early neonatal period suggest that the better scores of exposed neonates at 1 month are traceable to the cultural positioning and social and economic characteristics of mothers using marijuana that select for the use of marijuana but also promote neonatal development. Pediatrics 1994;93:254-260; prenatal marijuana exposure, neonatal outcomes, Jamaica, Brazelton scale
    supplementary items.

Looks like smoking weed while preggers might just be better than not!

ZW :cool:

12. goodvibes83

goodvibes83 Senior Member

13. azucena

azucena vagina farts

it's kinda been studied and found that there are no long-term effects on the baby of a pot-smoking mama, BUT! pot is illegal, and if you get drug tested or anything theres a chance they could take your kid. it's just not worth it.

14. jgirl

jgirl Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I've read that study. Unfortunately, until weed is made legal, there can not be sufficient studies performed to determine the benefits. At this point, each mother has to make the decision for themselves. I just can't do it. Another thing I noticed with each pregnancy is that I would get contractions and tightening if I'd smoke weed. This was very early in the pregnancy (before I found out), but I noticed it both with this pregnancy and last. It may mean nothing, but it was enough to scare me and make me paranoid about that.

It is true also that if you are going to smoke, don't give birth in a hospital. They can test you and the baby without your knowledge and you can lose your baby. It is illegal, no matter what.

15. *°GhOsT°LyRiC°*

*°GhOsT°LyRiC°* Supporters HipForums Supporter

i agree on the NO's. you can have your baby taken away and it is irresponsible.

16. Dragonfly

Dragonfly Senior Member

OK I've gotta say that I disagree on the irresposibility of smoking herb while pregnant if you're one of those people that smoke instead of say, take Zoloft, or Paxil or someshit like that. ya know, smoke lightly, just enough to keep your sanity, if you do that, then IMO that is being resposible, and functional in society while dealing with the hormones of being pregnant.

17. fricknfrack

fricknfrack Member

taking zoloft and smoking are 2 different things

you need to take the pill if its prescribed to you
    Smoking is NOT the herb or cig

18. azucena

azucena vagina farts

even though i may agree that pot isnt as harmful as some prescription medicines, it's still illegal and would it be worth it if you got your kid taken away for smoking pot?

19. zombiewolf

zombiewolf Senior Member

I'll bet no one here can cite one single case where a baby was taken from a mother because she was discovered to have smoked pot prenatally.

Paranoia will destroy ya...;)

ZW :peace:

20. Strawberry_Fields_Fo

Strawberry_Fields_Fo RN