Smiling Snakegirl

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself!' started by shalimar, Jun 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shalimar

shalimar Member

hi! just found this forum today. it's wicked!
    i'm mostly into herbs and healing and getting high on natural things.
    i'm also a vegan and love sci-fi, fantasy, anime and manga and i'm really looking forward to making some new friendz here!
    safe and starry journeyz, shalimar X

2. .::INCUBUS::.

.::INCUBUS::. Member

hey nice to meet you I just joined also!

I'm vegetarian and on my way to becoming vegan its been difficult deciding to make the switch but since I don't eat eggs and only drink soy milk, giving up cheese is the only thing holding me back, so why no just go for it right?

cool I'm into herbs also (not smoking them, seems like alot of peeps on here are so I just wanted to clear that up lol) I would like to become an herbalist someday soon. I'm also into healing.

its nice to meet you, this forum seems pretty cool, as noobies I'm sure we'll like it, there are so many different topics so theres somthing for everyone.

see you around,
    Buh-bye

3. Yagmurus

Yagmurus Member

HTML:

[quote=".::INCUBUS::."]I'm vegetarian and on my way to becoming vegan its been difficult deciding to make the switch but since I don't eat eggs and only drink soy milk, giving up cheese is the only thing holding me back, so why no just go for it right? 

Giving up cheese??common!why do you give up natural enjoys?ok,it wonderful not to eat animals(because of it's philosophy)but it doesnt give any harm to animals to drink milk or eating chese...

4. .::INCUBUS::.

.::INCUBUS::. Member

I know it may sound silly to those who are not vegan (years ago I never understood this lifestyle and thought it was so weird until I actually looked into it) but there are many reason I want to become vegan and MANY health benefits also. one of my own personal reasons, I have small patches of psoriasis on my knees and whenever I consume dairy products it flares up. but aside from that, here's an article I found that sums up the other reasons I want to give up dairy and become a vegan:

HEALTHIER EATING

The advertising blurb surrounding cow's milk would make anyone think it is an absolutely essential and natural product for humans. Most people when thinking of increasing their calcium intake would immediately reach for a carton of milk or slab of cheese. However, there are several reasons for not using these products as a nutrient source. Whole cow's milk is suited to the nutritional needs of calves who double their weight in 47 days and grow to 300 pounds within a year. In fact, human beings are the only species to drink the milk of another species, and the only species to drink milk beyond infancy.

According to the Vegetarian Voice Website, "90% of the world’s adult population is deficient in the enzyme needed to digest milk properly. The enzyme lactase is present in infants for digesting their mother's milk, but levels decline after the age of five years. Adults who lack the enzyme suffer from bloating, cramping, wind and diarrhoea if they drink milk. Also allergy to cow’s milk may affect 75 in 1000 babies, causing frequent diarrhoea, repeated vomiting, persistent colic, eczema, bronchitis and asthma." These are good enough reasons to give up dairy without even mentioning the ethical reasons too!

The most significant connection between milk and ill health is probably through its contribution to heart disease. Too much saturated fat in the diet can lead to atherosclerosis, where the arteries 'fur up' with cholesterol deposits and cannot deliver enough blood to the vital organs. The heart is particularly susceptible. Milk and other dairy products account for about half of all saturated fats eaten in America. Meat accounts for the rest. The UK has the highest level of heart disease in the world but at the rate Australians are consuming dairy, we won’t be far behind! Child-care expert Dr Benjamin Spock, once an advocate of drinking cow's milk, has joined several doctors questioning its nutritional value and warning of a possible link to juvenile onset diabetes and allergies. "Breast-feeding is the best milk feeding for babies," says Dr Spock. Dr Spock is backed up by Dr Frank Oski, director of paediatrics at John Hopkins University and Dr Neal Barnard, president of the 2000-member Physicians' Committee for Responsible Medicine. Dr Oski states that cow's milk is overrated as a source of calcium, is often contaminated with traces of antibiotics, can cause allergies and digestive problems and has been linked to juvenile diabetes.

5. old tiger

old tiger Senior Member

Yagmur,

So nice to see somebody from Istanbul here..
    it always has been one of my favorite cities..
    in my hippie days i passed through several times..
    i remember Lale Pudding shop on Eminonu..
    Taksim,Haydarpasa over the Galata..Big Bazar etc..
    there is a small island near Istanbul called Burgas
    if i remember well..they drove at taxis(at=horse)
    Neyin var??çok iyiyim..Tessekur ederim.
    iyi aksamlar..güle güle...sonra görüsüruz..
    I always liked the Turkish language as well..
    so different from anything else..:)
    Emiel

6. shalimar

shalimar Member

hi Incubus! lovely to meet you!
    i do agree, cheese is most difficult to give up but now the very smell of it turns my stomach. instead of cheese i eat nut butter or advocado or miso or er, nothink!
    it is not possible to seperate the dairy industry from the meat industry, as they go hand in hand. if in any any doubt just have a look at any vegan website or Peta's. the poor cow has a terrible and very shortened life. anyways, good luck with it, i'm sure you'll get there, it just takes time.
    Nice you're into herbs too. i have to admit to being a smoker though i really wish i wasn't so i do smoke them but i also eat and drink them and hopefully one of these days i will finally stop filling my body with carbon monoxide. i'm not a vegan for the health reasons, it's pure compassion. if i cud have some compassion for myself <lol> i might actually stop smoking!

7. bedlam

bedlam Senior Member

Hullo, welcome to hipforums, have fun..

8. ozerarda

ozerarda Members

I was curious and searched Lale Pudding and found this comment on trip advisor by defnemavi.

Time machine...

World famous meeting point !!

A well-known meeting and communication point for hippies during the 60s and 70s, Istanbul’s Lale Restaurant is becoming popular again among ex-hippies who visit the place decades later, sometimes to return borrowed items back.

“Hippies used to sleep on the street or at the nearby park. We were giving directions to them for a city tour. We were giving food for free and they were sending money 5 or 10 years later,” restaurant owner Namık Çolpan told daily Milliyet.

“When the Vietnam War ended, they all had professions. Hippies, who called themselves flower children, and members of the 68 generation didn’t hanker for money. We always received kindness from them,” he added.

Opened in 1957 by the Çolpan family, the restaurant on the hippie trail extending from western countries to Nepal through Afghanistan or Iran was better known as “the pudding shop” of Istanbul.

Pilgrims traveling east, often driving old cars or Volkswagen vans, would stop at this restaurant to meet new acquaintances and find other travelers with whom to share expenses and experiences. It was also a departure point for buses to the Iranian capital Tehran or the Afghan capital Kabul.

---

When was the last time you have been in Istanbul? It has been almost 17 years since your comment :)

9. Candy Gal

Candy Gal Lifetime Supporter

Old thread!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.