smelly dreads

Discussion in 'Dreadlocks' started by headymoechick, Jan 27, 2005.

1. headymoechick

headymoechick I have no idea

I put my man's dreads in for him. they just turned one month on Tuesday. YAY!! We had a little celebration for them.

Anyway, I used wax to create them but I stopped using it to let them form naturally. I just help him backcomb once a week now. He's a redhead do his dreads don't come together quite as nicely as they should. They need love and attention.

His dreads smell bad. I want to know if there's any safe stuff to put in them to make them smell better. I hate having them in my face when they smell so awful. I don't want to put anything that will be oily or prevent them from maturing naturally. But SOMEHTING has be done.

Please help?

2. Earthy Mama

Earthy Mama Feel my wrath... ;)

hmmm... try to wash them once a week. Then, maybe some tea tree oil. Not directly on the dreads but massaged in areas where his head itchs and onto the scalp(if it seems it prob itches, lol). And how about wrapping his dreads up for the night in a scented piece of cloth like fleece. Make sure its not caked on and only lightly fragranted and DRY so it doesn't rub alot of crap off in his hair. Don't forget to wash that often too.

Does he work anywhere his hair could pick up bad odors like a food place?

3. Myranya

Myranya Slytherin Girl

Does he wash them a lot? Since dreads are rather thick, they take a long time to dry. If you wash them every day they may not dry all the way through, and remaining damp inside they can become icky and start smelling. (and of course if you don't realise this, you'll think they're dirty and start washing them more).

4. Earthy Mama

oh yea thats a good suggestion. :) Don't put them in anything including hats and ponytail holders for a day so they have a chance to throughly dry.

5. headymoechick

he washes them once a week with this special drying shampoo.

he works with me packing up the office that we are trying to move. it's not smelly here.

some tree tea oil might help. his head IS awfully itchy.

6. Earthy Mama

is that shampoo for dreadlocks? If it has fragrance it will cause build up and turn into a bad smell. The itchies could be from this too. Does he rinse his hair for a good 5 mins at least? Dreadlocks need alot of rinsing so stuff doesn't build up in 'em. What are the ingredients if you don't mind me asking?

Heres a recipe for rosemary tea which helps for the itches too.
    Steep rosemary needles in boiling hot water.
    Let it sit and turn a dark brown.
    Strain the needles out and put the tea in the fridge.
    When it is luke warm or cold pour it over his dreads and on his scalp.
    Let it sit and then wash it out. Don't leave it on.

7. headymoechick

I don't have the ingrediant for the shampoo becaus eI post at work. But it is dreadlock shampoo that I got from Dreadhead HQ.com

he rinses very well and theres no buildup- it just smells. I think we'll start with the tree tea oil and see how it goes.

8. sm0key42o8

sm0key42o8 Senior Member

I use the same dread soap and I dont have any problem with smell. I think the tea tree oil or rosemary will help. I have heard if you burn alot of incense the dreads will absorb the smoke. But that would only be masking the problem not correcting it. Good lock...

9. Lolli

Lolli Visitor

have him soak um in hot-as-he can-stand h2o w/ some baking soda dissolved in it 4 like 1/2 an hour. or try vinegar. STOP using wax!!! palm roll!!!

10. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

That Post Was Made In Jan 2005, 6 Years Ago...:)

Headymoechick Hasn't Logged In Since July 2005...[​IMG]

Cheers Glen.

11. JimboWizbo

JimboWizbo Member

I motion that this is a new record for thread resurrection

12. Lolli

Lolli Visitor

thank u captin obvious lol

13. Manservant Hecubus

Manservant Hecubus Master of Funk and Evil