Slide guitar

Discussion in 'Performing Arts' started by SLammon420, Jun 28, 2006.

1. SLammon420

SLammon420 Senior Member

I've played a little bit before, but I've been inspired to actually get good at it. What kind of slides do you guys use, what tunings, do you play with your fingers or a pick? Right now I'm using a metal slide and I play in open E with my fingers. I need to get on the ball and order a Coricidin bottle offline. Any tips?

2. Nalencer

Nalencer Dig Yourself

Yeah, I play. I'm not real good at it or anything, but I can play it alright. I use a bottleneck slide me and my friend made. Normally I just muck around in standard tuning. I'm not that serious about it. I usually use a pick.

3. The_Moroccan_Raccoon

The_Moroccan_Raccoon Senior Member

I usually use a pick, and play in standard tuning. I've got a coricidin bottle, and a bunch of dunlop brass, glass and ceramic slides. Lately, I've been playing slide on my lap in open D, E, G or A. But there's not really any advice I can give you, I just fuck around with it, and its not something I really practise.

4. Alternative_Thinker

Alternative_Thinker Darth Mysterious

I just use a regular glass slide. I have a couple of those. I tend to just use a standard-tuned guitar, and play in the key of G for most of my slide blues stuff. For other subtle use of slide, I play in pretty much any key. But I like to be able to play scales in between, so I like to have my guitar tuned in the standard-tuning.

5. morrisonforpres

morrisonforpres Member

i use a ceramic slide and i play in mostly open G and standard
    which fingers do you all use the slides on ???

6. SLammon420

SLammon420 Senior Member

I put the slide on my ring finger. I've tried playing with the slide on my pinky, but it's not very comfortable for me.

7. Orsino2

Orsino2 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Coricidin on ring finger, bending behind the slide with the two above the ring. (Very clean sounding. Can get a nice Sonny Landreth tone).

Open E with fingerpicks/thumbpick.

8. RELAYER

RELAYER mādhyamaka

I use one of them really old flat metal slides, dont know what they are called. And I play in open C

9. OnlyIdiotsLoveWar29

OnlyIdiotsLoveWar29 Member

I used to mess around in standard tuning and because I wasn't serious about it, i'd use a really thin and crappy shot glass. It worked.

10. samson

samson Hepcat

I use either a glass slide or my old pocketknife for a rougher sound.

Usually I play in open E but have been trying cross spanish lately and like it.

11. Pinball Wizard

Pinball Wizard Member

I have a metal slide. I play nothing but open e on electric and open g on accoustic.

12. bassplaya

bassplaya Member

if u wanna work on some slide without tuning to open, try "if" by red hot chili peppers, its nice and viby with some nice slide

13. thisismike

thisismike Overlooked/Uninvited

I went to the Home Depot and bought a piece of copper tubing that I use for a slide for like 40 cents. I use Open G Tuning.