Skinny Bitch

Discussion in 'So you want to be a Vegetarian?' started by Sirenia, Feb 24, 2009.

1. Sirenia

Sirenia Guest

I just read the book Skinny Bitch and it's basically convinced me that the vegan lifestyle is the most healthy and would be better than what i'm doing now. But I can't seem to make the step to go into it even tough i know why i ought to.
    I also HATE mushrooms and eggplant, so i'm not sure if i could do many of the restaurant Veggie/vegan dishes that are available anyway.

and besides, i'm going to feel like i'm wasting a ton of stuff if i switch. looking in the fridge is a wake-up call to all that i would have to change for healthier options, but I don't really want to throw everything out either.

2. Underblacksunshine

Underblacksunshine Member

Ha, don't let your opinion be so easily swayed by a book.

3. Indy Hippy

Indy Hippy Zen & Bearded

Being anything that you weren't born as isn't easy. Changing yourself for the better never is. If you truly have decided that the vegan lifestyle is what would be right for you then set that as your goal and strive towards it. Perseverance breeds patience, patience breeds strength.

4. Boogabaah

Boogabaah I am not here

it'll be much easier to make the change slowly than over night. research! research! research!

i've read that book too... it's not the most informative, but makes a lot of obvious things more obvious. keep reading more books. :D

5. Luxiebow

Luxiebow Senior Member

vegan is a huge lifestyle change so you would need to prepare your body and mind. wean yourself off the foods your used to. I am currently weaning:)I've given up all cheeses except halloumi(I'm obsessed and going to miss it)and milk. I would also read the book raw energy, it will make you wanna go raw:)

6. Sirenia

Sirenia Guest

I'm giving up all sodas for this week and then, or hopefully sooner, i'll add to the list of things i'm giving up.
    I'm thinking giving up cheese will be the hardest. I can definitely live without red meat though. the only hard thing about giving that up is that my family is going to flip.

7. Underblacksunshine

Underblacksunshine Member

Why do your parents care?

8. Sirenia

Sirenia Guest

not my parents predominately: my Fiancé will think it's nuts. My brother will also think it's nuts. (they're big on the red meat thing)
    My parents will hate to have to keep any other options avalible.

9. Indy Hippy

Indy Hippy Zen & Bearded

Its always good to be yourself. Like I said earlier do what makes you happy chicka. And if it counts for anything we're all here supportin' you

10. Luxiebow

Luxiebow Senior Member

my mum thinks I'm crazy too.she always has though:)
    cheese is going to be a tough one. I lovvve it!

11. gaiabee

gaiabee Member

One thing I really disliked about this book was the promotion of products that are made of processed and gmo soy. I found that rather hypocritical.

12. MoonDoggie

MoonDoggie Member

Yeah. They provided a lot of contradicting information, and they had a lot of conspiracy theories about the USDA that had more to do with one or two members rather than the whole association.
    Don't believe everything those 'bitches' spew.

13. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

I give the authors props for opening new eyes.
    I also give them props for writing "coffee makes your breath smell like ass."
    Aside from that, I find the book excessively judgmental without good, deep research.
    Now for going vegan, you have to truly know WHY you chose to do it, and a fiance who thinks you are crazy makes it harder.
    Do mixed partnerships work?
    Yes.
    Do they need mutual respect, you for their diet, they for yours?
    Yes.

14. ChangeHappens

ChangeHappens Member

DO A MASTER CLEANSE. I had the same problem, now its not a problem because my body simply cannot enjoy the taste OR smell of cheese let alone the after affects, once you finish the cleanse.

Seriously, if you want a fresh start, a cleanse is the best way - your tastebuds will change almost compleltly and you will crave only the healthiest foods...Its crazy but WOW.

15. Brandi.Indica

Brandi.Indica Guest

LOVED that book.
    Definitely agree that you should do more research before you make the jump. I spent days looking at all the downloadable veg starter kits and researched as much as possible. As well as talking to my few vegan/veg friends.
    Skinny Bitch is what made me finally decide eating less meat was a good idea. I'm currently two months with no beef/pork and three with no soda. Working on refined sugar & I'm *mostly* not eating chicken or seafood. I don't think I can do vegan to be honest, lol. I love ranch dressing and cheese FAR too much. My boyfriend is very supportive, although he doesn't want to give up meat & definitely thinks I'm silly.
    I think the very very most important thing is to not move too fast beyond your comfort zone and to KNOW YOUR LIMITS! I.E. if you can't jump to no meat/dairy, then don't! You'll just revert & regret it later anyway.

16. Integrity P

Integrity P Member

What books do you recommend Boogabaah? Can you name your top three?

Thanks

P

17. Boogabaah

Boogabaah I am not here

oooh gosh...

'skinny bitch' by Kim Barnouin and Rory Freedman is a cute one

'diet for a new america' by john robbins (i think) is another good one

'fast food nation' by eric schlosser

18. Integrity P

Integrity P Member

Thanks Boo

19. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

I'd add this to the reading list:
    May All be Fed (also John Robbins, but if you buy Diet for a New America, just read this one from the library- or better yet, read both from library and pick one to keep as a reference)
    Omnivore's Dilemma- Michael Pollan. Breaks down big ag, confined feeding and big organic in a way that helps those of us who are for the earth make good decisions. I happen to like his writing style, too. In this same vein are animal, Vegetable and Mineral (Kingsolver) and Eat here by Brian Halweil.
    none are strictly veg, and Kingsolver is a "bitter ex vegetarian who loves bacon." (not my words, but a comment a friend made)
    Kingsolver has a point in that we vegheads who eat processed crap, including frozen veggieburgers, then dis slaughter are not looking at much of the picture.
    Sure, for some, killing of sentient beings is enough reason to be veg, but the vast majority have multiple reasons.

lastly, get a really good veg cookbook. check out every one the library has.
    find good recipe blogs. even if all you ever do is cut down on flesh, that is good for the animals and the earth.

20. wild-flowers

wild-flowers forever arbitrary

ya cheese will be the hardest. for me anyways. ive been a vegetarian for a really long time but transitioning to vegan is hard