Skinkfest music festival Southern Ohio July, 2009

Discussion in 'Events and Festivals' started by skinkfest, Jan 24, 2009.

1. skinkfest

skinkfest Member

http://www.skinkfest.com
    The Story;
    In 1997, a group of bands got together to put on a small weekend festival. With little or
    should I say "no planning" we put together a line up of 12 rock and metal bands in a
    couple months. What we didn't expect was 1500 people to show up, including the
    Sheriff about 7 times. Needless to say, it was a historical event. To this day it was the
    largest organized group of people ever to invade the small town of Humboldt.
    Now 12 years later we plan to break that record.
    I recently set up a myspace page for Humboldt Sound Machine. In the process I did
    some searching for local bands in and around OHIO. I was astonished when I realized
    there are a ton of good bands real close.
    So after a long hiatus, we are bringing the lizards back out of the woods for another
    weekend of fun. If you attended the 1st SkinkFest, you know it was a huge success.
    This time we are pulling out all the stops. We will be advertising all over the midwest.
    The event will be very well organized. I have 6 years experience promoting races on the
    property and around the state. The hilltop offers seclusion like no other place I have
    seen. Once you reach the top of the mountain, you are in a private setting that
    overlooks the hills and valleys as far as the eye can see. Check out http://www.humboldthills.com for some photo's of the property.

Mission Statement;
    Give Local and surrounding area bands the opportunity to play to a large
    crowd and get there music out to the people. The best way to secure the large
    crowd is Hire some well known acts and run a flawless event. Keep the Ticket
    prices reasonable. Have an amazingly secluded, beautiful location to have the
    event.
    This is the plan, the goal and is what will happen! I have a great reputation in
    and around the community. If I wasn't 100% sure I could meat these goals, you
    wouldn't be reading this. So make sure to get your butt up on Humboldt
    Mountain. You will not be disappointed!!!!

The Plan;
    Have a peacefull weekend of music from a bunch of great bands!

So you think you got what it takes to play at SkinkFest?
    Here is how to audition. If you have a band website or any way for us to sample your
    music and see some pictures, etc., just email me the link and why you would like to be a
    part of SkinkFest at humboldthillsmc@yahoo.com
    when you email us, please state your requirements to perform. We have contacted a
    ton of bands already that are interested and we need to know exactly what you are
    looking for. Also keep in mind that we cannot accept everyone. Don't get discouraged
    if you are not selected!
    If you don't have anything set up yet, the easiest/cheapest way I can think to do this is
    through My Space Music.
    There you can set up a band page and upload up to 6 songs. if you have a myspace page
    already or when you get one set up be sure to go to my page here;
    Humboldt Sound Machine and add me as a friend.
    If selected to play the festival, you will be treated to a huge 38' by 35' bi-level stage, free
    camping, 10 free vip passes and a swag bag.
    We will have all the PA you will need as well as lights and someone to run it.

Interested in Sponsoring the event?
    We are already stacking up the sponsors, if you are interested, please email me to find
    out the endless possibilities we offer at humboldthillsmc@yahoo.com

Thanks for your time and please check back for more info

2. Wasteland

Wasteland Member

I'm in a band that's currently on hiatus, and we should have everything back together by July. I'm gonna get in contact with the rest of the group, and see if they are interested. We do rock, grunge, a little punk with jazz or rap influences. We went on hiatus when we fired our lead singer. some of our earlier stuff is on myspace at www.myspace.com/dustedcane, although we may be changing our name soon. I'll get in touch of you when I find out if the others are interested. Do you have a cutoff date for bands?

3. skinkfest

skinkfest Member

not really a cut off date, but bands are coming on board quick and the slots are filling in fast. In just 11 days of planning, we have 9 bands booked.

4. Wasteland

Wasteland Member

Ok, I have everything set up. The whole band is cool with playing. I have sent you an email describing our band. We are willing to play whatever slot you can give us. We need the publicity.

We have been featured on a few local rock stations, most notably 94.3 The X during their Local X program. We got really good feedback on it. We just need something like this to boost our profile, plus I've always wanted to do an outdoor concert. Just a few questions: If we do the one hour slot, would it be a problem to get us free beer? What kind of accomidations can you provide for 4 people? And what kind of rate for the 2-hour slot? And what kind of equipment do we have to bring outside of our instruments (monitors, speakers, amps, etc.), and other basic stuff that can be hammered out later if you choose us.

Visit our page at www.myspace.com/dustedcane, or email us at dustedcane@yahoo.com. We went on hiatus in October due to some legal troubles with our singer, but everything is taken care of now. We were just waiting for something to help us boost our profile outside of playing bar gigs. If you book us, you can guarantee we will be there, ready to play.

Dusted Cane is:

Brian Eastman: Guitar, vocals
    Shawn Williams: Bass, vocals (I'm the one typing)
    Jeremy Cane: Vocals, himself
    Chad Deaton: Drums

5. skinkfest

skinkfest Member

Thanks,
    I hit you back an email

6. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

so, you are going to charge for tickets (and probably vendors/food wagons, too) and you want bands to travel out, play for absolutely nothing, and you log onto a forum to promote that fact?
    You have to pay SOMETHING, somehow.
    They'd better have a place to camp, free, get fed and watered well, etc.
    That should be part of your planning.
    Get a couple sponsors to swing the food and some drinks. Doesn't have to be beer, but Micros tend to support this sort of thing.
    and sign up for Sonic Bids...makes finding people much , much easier, and your marketing will be smoother.
    1500 folks can mean a lot at a merch table, but not if there are 10 acts.
    I've seen bands sell ONE disc over a three day show.

7. Wasteland

Wasteland Member

Hey man, I sent you back another email.

8. skinkfest

skinkfest Member

Totally agree, although I am not sure I said it was totally free.
    All bands will be taken care of in many ways.
    I just want to make sure this becomes an annual festival.
    The best way is to not bite off more than I can chew.
    Its amazing how much has changed in the last 12 days since we announced the festival. There is a ton of interest from locals, fans and bands.
    I have a better idea of the importance of skinkfest in this area.
    I should state that all bands commiting to play will at minimum recieve, free food, free vip camping and ten free vip passes as well as a swag bag.
    SO I am willing to make sure they are rewarded, and if 1500 or more show up, not only will they get paid, but the people that are getting paid already will get paid more. I am just trying to put together a great show and have fun doing it. That way my family doesn't suffer, we make sure its succesful and we make sure it happens again in 2010!
    I will be updating the site asap! bare with me, we have plenty of time!

9. skinkfest

skinkfest Member

I should also state that I have played in 3 different bands over the last 20 years. I have played many shows free of charge. I know the burden it puts on you and I know the rewards of doing it. For me the rewards were always worth more.
    Regardless, no one will be playing for free. I am feeling the buzz in the air already for the festival. Its coming around quick.
    PS, thanks for the sonicbids idea. That is a cool site.

10. skinkfest

skinkfest Member

Lots of stuff is being updated on the site www.skinkfest.com
    everyday

The dates are July 17,18,19 2009
    Friday 5pm to the wee hours of the morning
    Saturday noon to the wee hours of the morning
    Sunday to be announced!

Lots of bands coming on local and regional.
    Big announcement in a cpl days.

11. skinkfest

skinkfest Member

Here are the most recent happenings;
    ...01-29-08 The SpikeDrivers announced as Headliner for SkinkFest
    In 2003 a new sound sprang up in the Rust Belt; a raucous, down-and-dirty sound, an
    intoxicating and gritty sound that pulled people in droves to the dance floors across
    the Midwest. It was the sound of The Spikedrivers playing their unique blend of
    swinging, bluesy, upbeat, country-fried rock ‘n’ roll

...01-28-09 One Under announced as Headliner for Skinkfest.
    Formed in early 2005, One Under has quickly become the newest emerging musical
    force to come out of Ohio. The quartet is comprised of seasoned veterens of the music
    industry and is forging a sound incorporating elements of Roots Rock, American Jazz,
    Progressive Rock, Afro-Cuban Latin and Pure Funk Back Beat. This combination
    manifests into a danceable and energetic show that keeps people on their feet. One
    Under and it's members have appeared at festivals including Bonnaroo, Wakarusa, Sierra
    Nevada Reggae Festival, Grateful Fest, Tabfest, the Recipe Family Cookout, Harvest
    Fest, Schwagstock, and Sunshine Daydreams. Recent college appearances include
    Dennison University and James Madison University as well as support slots for bands
    such as Particle, Hot Tuna, The Samples, Oteil and the Peacemakers, Rusted Root,
    Keller Williams and The Dirty Dozen Brass Band and CJ Chenier. With incredible
    improvisation, solid grooves and strong lyrical content, One Under is continuing to reach
    new and diverse crowds wherever they play.

...01-28-09 The Wild Breed Boys from Springfield, Ohio will be bringing their
    unique brand of Bluegrass to Skinkfest
    "The Wild Breed Boys are a group of rough & rowdy mountain men currently on the lam
    out of Clark County, OH. When they're not runnin' from the law they're pickin that
    good ol' timey traditional bluegrass and you can usually catch 'em drinkin some kind of
    clear liquid out of a mason jar, no one's quite sure what it is... Seeing these boys is a
    show in and of itself, and just you wait til you hear 'em pick! Bring out yer dancing shoes
    and overalls if'n you're seein The Wild Breed Boys"

...01-25-09 A young band from Chillicothe will Grace the Stage in Humboldt
    called "What you Will" 3 youngsters performing great acoustic music.

...01-24-09 A great band out of Chillicothe, Ohio...Mays Gone will be
    performing at the festival

...01-21-09 MAtt Shonkwiler from Greenfield, Ohio will being playing his
    acoustic guitar and singing for all of us lizardlovers

...01-20-09 The Othe Side comes on Baord....
    The Other Side out of Kingston, Ohio, you will hear the sounds of acoustic guitars
    and tribal drums blending together with bass to form a unique listening experience

...01-20-09 Rock Band 7th Cycle booked for Skinkfest
    7th Cycle is a Columbus, OH quintet that conjures the emotive, honest influences
    that mark the best and longest-lasting bands. The band is a musical disseminator of rock
    music that inspires both lighters-in-the-air tributes and bone-crunching, dark matter
    kinetics - in other words, it’s good music

...01-20-09 Stone Johnson and the Shooters out of Waverly, Ohio
    Nominee's for the IBA in 2008 and with the new CD "Stormy Weather gaining national
    attention on over 16 radio stations from LA to Boston

...01-19-09 Genuine Junk BAnd is First Band to commit to Skinkfest.
    Born in the hills of Kentucky, the Genuine Junk Band mix original soulfelt melodies
    with fun danceable grooves, hard hitting rhythm's, and personal lyrics about their
    journey through life.

Check out them on the bands page here
    www.humboldthills.com/skinkfestbands

12. skinkfest

skinkfest Member

a few more band updates

...02-06-09 ChowBox out of Washington Courthouse, Ohio
    All I can say is, "we found the meat in the pudding!" This 2 person group of best
    friends will have you dipping into all your emotions. From the deep emotions and erie
    harmonies of their song the "the chill" to the down right dirty and comical "contry song"
    you will be fully entertained. Chowbox will be filling in the gaps throughout the entire
    weekend, so be sure you don't blink, you might mis something.

...02-05-09 Zac McFadden and the SpeakEasy Band
    This young group of talented musicians will be taking to the stage at skinkfest and
    will have all you fans screaming for more.

...02-03-09 Sweet Japonic out of Michigan comes on as major player.
    Sweet Japonic's sound has rapidly matured into an infectious blend of blues, roots,
    soul and reggae influenced rock music. After five years, Sweet Japonic has emerged as
    one of very few premiere bands in the West Michigan music scene. With deep roots in
    Grand Rapids , the band's substantial following is remarkably dedicated and diverse, and
    fans frequently sing along with the band

...01-29-09 The Traveling Gypsy Jug Band signs on to play Skinkfest
    A fresh orignal sound for a time when music is dieing, and sampling is triving. We’re
    trying for an organic sound that will keep your toes tapping and your fingers snaping

...01-29-09 Cold Harvest comes on board Skinkfest to entertain between Acts

13. Tile35Band

Tile35Band Member

Cool man sounds fun...I grew up in Chillicothe, and actually went to Paint Valley High School with Zac McFadden, his band is good listening folk music for sure. I'm also friends with Jaron from the band "What You Will". They are very talented, with a couple of really nice Grateful Dead covers. It's always nice to see hometown music come together.

14. skinkfest

skinkfest Member

Its Finally Here!!!! After months and months of planning, promoting, building, excavating, trenching and just plain ole' fashioned hardwork, we are excited to get the festival under way this weekend, July 16-19th.

Thursday July 16th, the gates will open at 4pm for the early bird campers! Music will begin Friday at 6pm, although you will probably hear some pickin' and grinnin' well before then.
    Presale tickets can still be purchased at Greenfield Music until Thursday!
    A pair of tickets are being given away everyday on 97.5 WVNU!

Headlining the event are The Spikedrivers on Friday.
    The Spikedrivers play their own unique blend of swinging, bluesy, upbeat, country-fried rock ‘n’ roll. Front man Jesse
    Henry’s unique and down-home song writing meets the electrified ruckus and wild precision of the backing band similar to what

might have been if Woody Guthrie had led NRBQ.

Also on Friday is local folk favorite Zachariah McFadden and the crooks and out of Michigan, Sweet Japonic.

Sweet Japonic's sound has rapidly matured into an infectious blend of blues, roots, soul and reggae influenced rock music. After five years, Sweet Japonic has emerged as one of very few premiere bands in the West Michigan music scene.

On Saturday we pull out all the stops with 2 stages of live music all day long!

Headlining on Saturday is One Under.

Formed in early 2005, One Under has quickly become the newest emerging musical force to come out of Ohio. The quartet is comprised of seasoned veterans of the music industry and is forging a sound incorporating elements of Roots Rock, American Jazz, Progressive Rock, Afro-Cuban Latin and Pure Funk Back Beat. This combination manifests into a danceable and energetic show that keeps people on their feet.

15 other bands will perform Saturday Including the Genuine Junk Band from Kentucky; The Lewis Brothers from Chillicothe, 7th Cycle out of Logan, Gypsy Jug Band, Stacey Skaggs, Uncle Monts Quandry, Quasi Mojo, and Mays Gone, just to name a few!

Mission Statement;
    Have a peaceful weekend of music from a bunch of great bands!
    Give Local and regional bands the opportunity to play to a large crowd and get
    there music out to the people. The best way to secure the large crowd is hire
    some great musicians and run a flawless event. Keep the Ticket prices
    reasonable. Have an amazingly secluded, beautiful location to have the event.

All Info, rules and everything you need to know can be found at www.skinkfest.com

The Address of the festival is;
    8998 state route 41 north
    Bainbridge, Ohio 45612

Phone 740-649-1674

Press can call jay at 740-634-3789 for press passes!

Thanks
    Jay Wile
    Member and Owner of;
    www.harescrambletalk.com
    www.soccracing.com
    www.humboldthills.com
    www.southernohioscoring.com
    www.skinkfest.com

PS the weather is looking SWEEEEEEEEET!!!