skid-mark poops

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by barefoot_kirstyn, May 25, 2006.

1. barefoot_kirstyn

barefoot_kirstyn belly flop

Leane's been having these weird "poops" that are basically like skid marks....She had 3 yesterday and a normal poop as well. They're almost black...and I don't really know how to decribe the consistancy (sp?), but it's almost gritty and sticky.
    Should I be worried about this?

2. homeschoolmama

homeschoolmama Senior Member

If I remember right, she's on formula... right? If her formula has extra iron in it, that could do it. But if she's been on the same formula since birth and you haven't introduced any new foods like blueberries or a blue popsicle, it could be intestinal bleeding.

Double check her diet & make sure nobody snuck her something while you weren't looking before you call the doctor though. My son starting pooping bright red one day, and it turned out that my sister had given him a chunk of Jello while I was taking a shower!
    love,
    mom

3. barefoot_kirstyn

Yeah, she's on formula.....
    I just started her on prunes 3 days ago and this started 2 days ago....I was thinking that it might have something to do with that....could it be?
    It doesn't have any blood in it....could it still be the intestinal bleeding if there's no blood?

4. homeschoolmama

homeschoolmama Senior Member

Yeah, it could definitely be the prunes. Anything dark and purple/blue could do it. Just like carrots & sweet potatoes can actually give her skin an orange-ish tint! If you want to be sure, take her off of them for a couple days & see if everything goes back to normal.

From what I understand, intestinal blood is supposed to be darker/thicker? Hopefully someone else will know more about that than I.
    love,
    mom

5. barefoot_kirstyn

maybe it's time to call the doctor.
    The amount that is coming out in these 'poops' is almost nothing....hense the skid mark.....that was what was conserning me. I figured the dark color was due to the prunes......now i'm worried...

6. Maggie Sugar

Maggie Sugar Senior Member

The color may be due to the prunes, but consipation in a baby this young should be seen by a doctor. I don't know why it is gritty. A lot of babies get "skid marks" when they are constipated, as only a little comes out, and there is a huge "plug" in there, and only the little bit of liquidy stuff can get around it.

I would see your doctor, but it is probably fine.

7. Critter1223

Critter1223 Member

Don't worry!! Mine did the same thing. It is definately from the iron in the formula. Just give her plenty of fruit juice, (a least 4 oz.) a day, and fruits. If anything the prunes would flush that right out of her. Let her drink some diluted prune juice (1 oz. Prune juice to 4 oz of water) That magic potion worked everytime for me!!! So get Pooping Leane!!:)

8. barefoot_kirstyn

She's still having larger, regualr poops, too.....I really don't think that it's constipation....
    I was planning on waiting until she was at least a year old to give her any juice....from what I've read, it's just unnessecary sugars...... I don't know if it would be more recomended in this case if it is infact constipation....