Sitar Players

Discussion in 'Performing Arts' started by yohonis, Jan 28, 2005.

1. yohonis

yohonis Member

this kid i met has a sitar. I never knew what a sitar was till i saw him play. It totaly captivated me. I play that thing evrytime i go into his dorm. Im gonna buy one in a few weeks once i get enought money. I found a beautiful sitar for 450 with a case. Exelent craftsmanship.

2. Disconformitized

Disconformitized Member

Does this mean ur gonna start experimenting with LSD ala george harrison?

But any who the sitar rocks, it so nice to hear something besides a guitar making cool music... I found this guy:

Ravi Shankar... they were playing some of his stuff on this radio statio.... www.hober.com

He's supposed to be one of the more famous sitar players

3. Jonas

Jonas Member

lol. sorry disconformitized that just sounded funny.

"i found this guy: Ravi Shankar"
    lol thats like sayin, yeah i heard of this band, i don't know if you ever heard of them, they're called the beatles or something.

4. yohonis

yohonis Member

ravi is quiet the talented little indian.

5. dedhead95

dedhead95 The Wizard of Rhythm

how old is ravi now? anyone know?

6. rainbowkid

rainbowkid Member

SITAR.
    In the Christmas Concert at our school I had to play 'Eleanor Rigby' on the Sitar, as if the Sitar was singing. It was groovy. I want to gte my own Sitar when I have the money, I'm only borrowing one at the moment.

7. shinta

shinta Member

elenor rigby is a great song,on than on sitar
    *drool* :)

8. gnombient

gnombient Member

He was born in 1920; that would make him 85.

9. syd

syd Banned

I've always wanted to play sitar, is it much much harder than guitar?

10. yohonis

yohonis Member

i think it is easyer. ou many like one string its just weird at first. its amazing once you get into it.

11. jesikhaviolet

jesikhaviolet Member

yeah... ravi shankar... who's that? something like the beatles? elvis presley... ever heard of them then?

what the hell!?!?!?!?? ravi shankar is a GOD. in fact, i thought he was dead up til a few weeks ago, when i found out that he's doing a gig in my city =D

12. samson

samson Hepcat

I play a sitar, and its a wonderful but challenging instrument! The sounds it has are amazing, having such a fantastic vibe. It is a challenging instrument tho, just lugging the thing around is a task at times. The gourds are very fragile, and I began playing on one that was cracked.

I have played about ten years, and the best parts are that it is easy to get a basic sound by plucking the main string. Once you begin to learn the chikara (pick technique) the hard parts start in! Playing a sitar is easy, playing it right or well is another thing entirely!

I find it to be much harder than guitar, which i already played when i took up sitar. LSD is optional.

Also, cops and customs agents have this thing about gourds on sitars...they are certain that SOMETHING is in there. Hell, they can hear it rattle! Just a note of warning to sitarists everywhere.

13. Burbot

Burbot Dig my burdei

when harrison started lsd he was druged....

then he gave it p and became Hare Krsna...

I wish i had a sitar...even if i couldnt play...or even play like a few strings and make it sound cool

14. Burbot

Burbot Dig my burdei

oh ya, and ravi is coming to edmonton alberta as well...

15. gnombient

gnombient Member

If you're interested in hearing virtuosic sitar playing outside the context of Hindustani music, I'd recommend anything by the late, great Colin Walcott... Most of his material (solo or with the group Oregon) is still available on the ECM label. Fantastic stuff!

16. shockseventyfour

shockseventyfour Member

Ravi Shankar is amazing, when i first heard his music I was really wowed. I loked into it some more and it's pretty amazing. I thought the guitarists we had here were impressive. I'd like to try it someday........ I've ben playing classsical guitar for a long time. Does it really have 15 strings?

17. StonerBill

StonerBill Learn

if only exotic isntruments were cheaper.. id have them all!

sitar is awesome i wanna learn it. waht about.. electric sitar!

DEATH SITAR