Sitar players?

Discussion in 'Performing Arts' started by A-Shwa-Child, Jun 17, 2006.

1. A-Shwa-Child

A-Shwa-Child Member

Is learning the sitar hard? Like compared to the guitar?
    Im interested in the sitar. I was also wondering if there are any great books or website that can help me in learning how to play the sitar. Any resource would be nice...

2. hippiehillbilly

hippiehillbilly the old asshole

3. A-Shwa-Child

A-Shwa-Child Member

LoL i believe i read the first one, already... The second one short, but insightful. thanx for you google finds...

4. SLammon420

SLammon420 Senior Member

Yeah the sitar is supposed to be pretty damn hard I hear.

5. stalk

stalk Banned

Learn how to improvise on a guitar,
    Sitar will project you into other dimensions.

6. Sarombi

Sarombi Member

i have a sitar and play it and its not hard at all u only usally fret on string and the rest is the drone chiicatee its a great instrument the hardest thing is dealing with the odd sitting postion that will get ur legs numb in no time

7. stalk

stalk Banned

I just got a sitar,
    and IMO the hardest thing about this instrument is tuning it!!!

oh mmmmm I love it so much

8. wastingthedawn

wastingthedawn *~Pure Light~*

I want to learn really bad, it's a long time dream...but I think I'd have an impossible time learning to play a right handed sitar.I'd need a lefty and they are HARD to find.

9. samson

samson Hepcat

Ive been playing sitar over fifteen years, and there are two answers to that question.

No, its not hard to play sitar.
    Yes, it is hard to play it right.

Using it as a guitar player often does, its not hard to work it for the drone and main melody lines. Learning to play it properly is an immense task, even holding it correctly takes practise.

The instrument itself is very tough to mic for live settings, and difficult to set up in larger situations. In a room with some friends, its fine, but try to record and it becomes a hassle for basic equipment.

And then there is the problem of the case.... that damn thing is huge, and doesnt travel well at all!

10. SLammon420

SLammon420 Senior Member

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.mondouno.com/strf_Sitar_.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.mondouno.com/sitars.htm&h=300&w=486&sz=81&hl=en&start=4&tbnid=lS412d2FJm1YHMtbnh=80&tbnw=129&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dsitar%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26safe%3Doff%26sa%3DN

There's some left-handed sitars.

11. bbbeccaaa

bbbeccaaa 12345678910

I got a sitar last christmas and I still haven't learned to play. The third time I tuned it I broke one of the sympathetic strings (I think that's what they're called) But anyway, I don't want to mess around on it and create bad habits, so I'm waiting till I can properly learn and I can't wait.

12. Woodpoppies

Woodpoppies Member

I would love to learn how to play the sitar ... its a beautiful instrament

13. D_MAN

D_MAN Member

Yea...I love how the sitar sounds, its so damn beautiful...
    I'm trying to play guitar right now, but yea I don't know how to improvise and I'd probably therefore be horrible at jamming. But its good to hear some of you have sitars/are interested in them. Its my absolute dream.

So for me, I just decided. If, by the end of summer, I'm still up for it, I'll get a sitar. Until then, I'll work with what I have. Ahhh!!! But it looks like it takes a lot of discipline which I'm not known for, but to play sitar I'd damn near do anything.

14. Lhiya

Lhiya Member

Hi

I would like to play a sitar too, i think its just like what you want to play or what your used to. So i for instance heard playing harp is difficult as i had a harp in hands, it was very easy for me.

How does a Sitar cost??

Bye Lhiya