Simple Dolmas recipe

Discussion in '100% Vegan' started by greentree, Jul 3, 2006.

1. greentree

greentree Member

Dolmas (if you haven't had them before) are a Greek savoury delicacy. They take a little time to make but you can get really good at them with practice.

They're absolutely delicious as appetisers or as part of a main meal. They are served at room temperature and keep in the fridge for about a week.

They are traditionally 100% vegan, but beware of the fact that some people make them with mince.

Ingredients:

About 20 vine leaves - you usually buy them in brine
    1/2 cup olive oil
    1 white onion
    1 red onion
    1 cup rice (white works best, but any is fine)
    A generous pinch of fresh mint (fresh lemon balm is good too)
    Rind of half a lemon
    Juice of one lemon
    1/4 cup of pine nuts, lightly toasted

First of all, boil some water and place the vine leaves in it for 10-20 minutes to soften them. Rinse them off in cold water to remove the saltiness. While they are in the water, cook the rice until it is soft enough to eat.

While the rice is cooking, chop the onions as small as possible. Heat half of your olive oil in a pan with the chopped onions.

While this is heating, lightly toast the pine nuts (not essential, but it brings out their flavour - don't burn them!) and chop those too.

Now drain the rice and put it in a bowl with the onions in olive oil, and add the chopped mint, pine nuts, lemon rind and lemon juice. This is a good point to taste the filling to make sure the flavours are balanced. You can add salt to taste.

To assemble the dolmas, put one vine leaf vein side up with the stem end towards you. Place two teaspoons of mixture in the middle of the leaf, folding the stem end over the filling, and then folding the sides over, before rolling it into a cylinder shape.

Once you have used all the mixture and leaves, the dolmas are ready to eat. If you want to store them, they keep in the fridge in a container or wrapper for about 10 days; just cover them in olive oil.

To serve immediately, drizzle the remaining olive oil over the parcels. Squeeze some lemon juice over the top and garnish with fresh mint or lemon balm.

I hope the recipe works if you try it - this is how I learned to make them from a Greek chef :) They are my favourite thing to eat with a really unique flavour and work really well as starters or finger food. :D

2. LdyNimue

LdyNimue Member

Thank you I've been wanting to know how to make those for a long time now [​IMG]

3. angelle

angelle Member

awesome.. i love dolmas.. thanks!