Silly old movie..."Singin in the Rain"

Discussion in 'Classic Movies' started by Redhead420_23F, Jun 7, 2006.

1. Redhead420_23F

Redhead420_23F Member

Who else has seen that? I saw it this fall when I took "Intro to film." It was the first color movie we go to see in the semester, so that was great in itself at that point lol.

But it was seriously SO cute, and funny. I really loved it, if that makes me a dork while I don't care.:) I wanna buy it cause thats totally the kind of movie I like to watch when I'm down, to cheer myself up :)

Oh and didn't what's his name again...um crap I'm blanking...but you know the sidekick...did he remind anybody else of "Jack" from Will and Grace? When he was singing "make them laugh" at the piano, I was like ohmygod it's Jack! LOL

2. lucyinthesky16

lucyinthesky16 pirate wench

heh- i saw this in my film class too! i would totally watch it again! its good to sit down once in a while and watch a silly movie that doesnt have anything important to say, no 'end of the world' plots, i think thats what hollywood is missing today.

3. Flight From Ashiya

Flight From Ashiya Senior Member

It's one of the best Hollywood musicals of all time.On the same level as 'An American In Paris' .
    Gene Kelly proved himself the successor to Fred Astaire.
    It's one of those films that if you like musicals,& you haven't seen it;......what in f**ks name ,are you waiting for????.
    It is reallllyyyyy good!.:)

4. Michaela

Michaela Member

I'm kind of new to the HipPlanet, so I"m catching up by reading all the threads. Wish I'd been here when this thread was initiated, because I absolutely love old movies like "Singing In The Rain". Gene Kelly, who starred in this film was good; but since you guys expressed enjoyment with this film, try seeing some Fred Astaire films or William Powell films from the same era.
    I totally agree with LucyInTheSky16 regarding enjoying sitting down and watching movies that are silly and without the "end of the world" type of plots. The Fred Astaire movies and other movies of that era were just that; and I've got a collection of about 500 videos that includes hundreds of movies from the 30's and 40's, and I like nothing better that to sit down on a day off and watch one of these - they are unrealistic, yes - but you can really escape the day-to-day pressures or doldrums and really be entertained by one of these movies. I abhore the scary "Friday the 13th" type of movie, and will not watch them because I do not consider being frightened by how much one human can harm another human good solid entertainment value. I agree with Lucy again when she said that Hollywood is missing something today by not making movies like the old ones. Movies from the olden days also delivered good moral messages as well.

Sincere Regards, Michaela

"They will never make a perfect heart until they make one that
    can't be broken." ....... The Wizard, "The Wizard of Oz"

5. Sofia29

Sofia29 Member

I LOVED this movie! I'm not into musicals but I thought "Singin' in the rain" was excellent!

6. tink

tink Member

I saw ths movie for the first time the other day. And I loved it. It just made me smile and wish hollywood would understand its nice to sometimes just smile:)

7. punkerchic

punkerchic Member

MY FAVE MOVIE OF ALLL TIMEEEEE>>>>well, musical, at least.

8. thehippie_08

thehippie_08 that girl

I really love this movie, it was my grandmother's favorite musical and she used to sing "singing in the rain" to me all the time. I love it because it reminds me of her.
    Besides that Grace Kelly is amazing.

9. Tree-Hugger

Tree-Hugger The Chainsaw

Gene Kelly is one of my favorite actors. I studied him in my dance classes and grew to really enjoy his work.

10. dollydagger

dollydagger Needle to the Groove

my favorite musical.....by far

I especilally love Cyd Charisse in the film.....she was my idol when i danced.....
    you know the part when they are in the speakeasy, and she's in that faboulous green fringe dress, with the legs up to her ears....

11. dylanzeppelin

dylanzeppelin daydream believer

i grew up with watching old musicals. this is definitely on the top for the best. gotta love the dancing sequences and of course, the "singing in the rain" part.