silent films

Discussion in 'Classic Movies' started by hippieatheart, Oct 27, 2006.

1. hippieatheart

hippieatheart vagina boob

anybody like silent films? i recently watched one on tv.. and although most people would think that they are stupid, i love looking at the way they dressed back in those times, and their use of film, and acting.

2. woodsman

woodsman Senior Member

I don't believe I've ever watched one all the way through, although I probably should. I've been developing an interest in filmaking and it would be good to see how they did things in the old days.

3. TheMadcapSyd

TheMadcapSyd Titanic's captain, yo!

There are some silent movies out there that are just classics, I mean all the comedy ones from back then, but other more serrious ones too, I'd recommend "Metropolis" and "Nosferatu"

scratcho likes this.
  4. hippieatheart

yeah its definetly interesting seeing how they did everything back in the old days. one of my teachers said that in silent films they always exaggerate their emotions, and most people think its cause theres no sound, so they gotta over exaggerate their emotions, but thats not true. really, that was their way of acting back in the old days, like blowing up cars is normal in our movies, the over exaggeration of emotions was normal for them, although it seems really weird now!

thanks for the movie reccomendations themadcapsyd

5. Jesus the Jedi

Jesus the Jedi Senior Member

DEFINATLY nosferatu, also Cabinet of Dr. Caligari.

like the previous person said, Metropolis, probobly THE most influential sci-fi film of all time.

Silent films dont hold up too well today, but the german expresionist films from the 20s have such amazing atmosphere, you wont be able to take your eyes off them.

And, actually the reason behind the over acting was because they were silent and they had to emphasize their emotions, which is why when talkies hit, most silent film actors lost their careers, due to either their voice being not so pleasing to the ears, and it was a completely new style of acting.

6. Lucifer Sam

Lucifer Sam Vegetable Man

I love silent films. I actually think that many hold up well today--I don't really think of silents as "movies," though. It's just a different art form from the talkies. It's not inferior, just different.

Some I'd recommend:

Clara Bow - It (1927)
    Lon Chaney - The Unknown (1927)
    Charlie Chaplin - The Gold Rush (1925)
    Charlie Chaplin - City Lights (1931)
    Sergei M. Eisenstein - Battleship Potemkin (1925)
    Greta Garbo - The Temptress (1926)
    Greta Garbo - The Flesh & The Devil (1927)
    D.W. Griffith - Broken Blossoms (1919)
    Buster Keaton - The General (1927)
    Buster Keaton - Steamboat Bill, Jr. (1928)
    Fritz Lang - Metropolis (1927)
    Harry Langdon - The Strong Man (1926)
    Harold Lloyd - Grandma's Boy (1922)
    Harold Lloyd - Safety Last (1923)
    Georges Melies - A Trip to the Moon (1902)
    Georges Melies - The Impossible Voyage (1904)
    F.W. Murnau - Nosferatu (1922)
    F.W. Murnau - Sunrise (1927)
    Mary Pickford - Sparrows (1926)
    Dziga Vertov - The Man With a Movie Camera (1929)
    Robert Wiene - The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1920)

7. dd3stp233

dd3stp233 -=--=--=-

So-called "silent" films were almost never played in theathers without sound. Small theaters usually had an organist or pianist, the big theaters had orchasras that played live while the movie was showing, some also using sound effects to match the film. Later in the period, original scores were often specifically written to be played during the film. I, too, love silent films and there are some great ones. There is a insane drug film called "The Mystery of the Leaping Fish" directed by John Emerson in 1916. Starring Douglas Fairbanks starring as Coke Ennyday. Since its public domain, here is a link to it on youtube http://youtube.com/watch?v=DMQwUqgO4Bw Its a trip.

8. hippieatheart

thanks for the link to the silent films and the list of silent films. i'll have to look into those to watch! :)

9. hippieatheart

another silent film that i like is "un chien andalou" its made by salvador dali and luis bunel.. its definetly good

10. samson

samson Hepcat

some of my fave flicks are silent movies, i really enjoy them. There seems to be much more theatrical work put into the production and I enjoy the non inclusive music. Too often I know where the plot is headed by just hearing the music, and silent films give a little more to the viewers imagination.

Bring on the movie!

11. Acorn

Acorn Member

i love silent films. they were so much more of an art form. the kid, doesnt even need words. the first text card sums it up, "a picture with a laugh and perhaps a tear."

12. Lucifer Sam

If you can, try to find DVD releases of silents with new soundtracks and restored prints. From my experience, a proper soundtrack enhances a silent film immeasurably. Try to stay away from the really cheap public domain releases. It's nice to save $20, but you probably won't enjoy the film as much. At least, that's how it is for me...

13. samson

samson Hepcat

with a good score, I can ignore a bad movie, but by the same token with a good movie I dont listen so much to the music. I actually prefer a silent film with a score that stops sometimes.... too many modern composers feel they need to fill every moment with notes and I like a bit of nothing between here and there.

A few months ago I saw the Cabinet of Dr Caligari play in a theater with a live group doing the score. The score was good, but the movie was less than stellar! I had always heard about the flick but was a little disappointed when I saw it.

Greed is a silent flick that I really liked alot. Very long, but some great scenes and well made. I suggest it, if you can handle epic films!

I noticed there werent many swashbucklers on the films mentioned here - Errol Flynn type pirate/sinbad/adventure stuff is so much better in the silent era when actors had to know how to fence to get a job!

good stuff, those silent films

14. Ole_Goat

Ole_Goat Member

One of the biggest advantage of DVD over VHS is the additional features including directors (or whoever) commentaries on secondary sound tracks. Some time ago I watched Nosferatu on DVD. One of the special features was a slide show of where many of the scene were filmed and what they look like today.

I would add to the film list Buster Keaton's "The General". I was able to see it three different ways. The first was on TV with a piano soundtrack. The second was in a modern movie theater, piano sound track and only a handfull of people attending. The third was by far the best. A soldout movie Movie Palace built in 1928 which still had the original Pipe Organ designed and built for silent movies. One of the funniest experiences I ever had.
    About the same time I saw Gloria Swanson (at the same theater I saw "The General") who was making a tour of the country with her last silent film "Queen Kelly". The film was OK, a melodrama - not quite my cup of tea. But her reminiscing over her movie career was interesting. I remember she mentioned her first film acting job was in a Charlie Chaplin short filmed in Chicago. There was a point in the film where Chaplin kicked her in the ass. She said Chaplin didn't pull the punch and really kicked her as hard as it appears in the film.

Sadly the theater owner had to sell the organ many years ago and the venue no longer shows silent (or any) films.

15. psychedelic goddess

psychedelic goddess ♥Messenger of Love♥

buster keaton did some really great work; i notice there's not much talk about rudolph valentino on here either, but his movies are fab! .....and as for swashbucklers - if you think douglas fairbanks jr is the shit, just check out his dad! [​IMG]

same goes for lon chaney - it's easy to see where his son got his talent from [​IMG]

i was really impressed by the movie "greed", and loved how the colours went from black and white, to sepia tones and blues in scenes where it fit the mood - certain spots look hand tinted...the visuals alone made it worth sitting there for the whole three hour stint

the sets on caligari are amazing - so crooked and confined - really added to the ambience of the story....and the play of shadow in nosferatu - wow! it can still creep me out more than any modern horror

every sunday night Turner Classic Movies features one or two silent flicks - i try to catch it as often as i can [​IMG]

16. samson

samson Hepcat

what about john and lionel barrymore? some great flicks from these two, and a whole acting troupe of a family

17. Lucifer Sam

How many of you have seen the recently re-discovered Beyond the Rocks, starring both Gloria Swanson AND Rudolph Valentino? :eek: I didn't love the film, but it's cool to see both huge stars together... it makes Swanson's stories of Valentino in Sunset Boulevard all the more interesting.

As far as Greed is concerned, I believe that von Stroheim's original cut was 10 hours long. (o_O) That's absolutely insane. Apparently he followed the book page by page. What a crazy man. :D

One comedian that doesn't get mentioned too often is Harry Langdon, who I think was hilarious. To me, he was funnier than Harold Lloyd and Chaplin. Chaplin was a better actor, director, and a genius, really, but Langdon's character is still way accessible today. Kino Video has a great DVD out that I recommend with three of his feature films.

Yes, TCM has Silent Sunday Night almost every Sunday. Back when I had free cable, it was one of the few things I watched and looked forward to every week. TCM does a great job with silents, in my opinion. Their releases of "The Garbo Silents," "The Lon Chaney Collection," and "The Buster Keaton Collection" are all great and worth the price tag.

Luckilly, in my new neighborhood, there's a really awesome locally-owned video rental place that has a dedicated silent film section, so I'm set for a while.

18. The Scribe

The Scribe Member

I like the Charlie Chaplin movies because of Chaplin's misty eyed idealization of the woman that the Chaplin character loves.

19. waukegan

waukegan Member

greed was great.i read it was filmed in san francisco and death valley where the story takes place.i've read frank norris's book mcteauge.the movie was very faithful to the book.the version i saw had stills where the film was edited or lost.good story to watch and/or read. i wish tcm had friday or saturday silent nights.but i stll have a vcr.always treat when sunday night comes around.if they don't have one on sunday nights they seem to get one in during the week sometimes.

20. waukegan

waukegan Member

lillian gish was hot!great actress too.i heard she was really a nice woman.not difficult to work with.