silence

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Greengirl, Jan 19, 2009.

1. Greengirl

Greengirl Senior Member

It really has two sides, when it irritates you and when u just fall in love with it. personally sometimes i love to stay alone in the silent room, not thinking about anything at all, just listening to the pure silence. Sometimes i feel more refreshed by this than from a good sleep. clean calmness overwhelms me in those moments.
    some people always need sounds around them, something to bother their heads all the time. i really like to shut it from time to time literally, restart my brain, fall into the empty vastness of that silent moment

2. Jimmy P

Jimmy P bastion of awesomeness

silence is good. I wish more people would appreciate it and not try to dispel it with pointless banter.

3. zilla939

zilla939 Thought Police Lifetime Supporter

shut the fuck up, both of you

:p

4. Ocean Bionic

Ocean Bionic Hero of the People

id prefer the hum of a creek or river. its speaks to the soul, without causing any ruckus.
    but ill take some nice silent time too.

5. McLeodGanja

McLeodGanja Banned

I could do with some of that. Or the sound of a river. Who bloody invented noise pollution anyway!

6. IamnotaMan

IamnotaMan I am Thor. On sabba-tickle. Still available via us

Well meditation and quiet stuff is good for sports , working , lots of things.

But outside of that I tend to like background noise- tv , music , talking , whatever.
    But when I go for a run , sometimes , I like the silence to think , rather than my ipod.
    Depends...

7. McLeodGanja

McLeodGanja Banned

I can't remember the last time I woke up out of a sleep naturally, because of all the nose pollution these day.

8. YankNBurn

YankNBurn Owner

Best place for silence is in a sound room!

9. prissbaby

prissbaby creepy

I don't hear real silence too often

there's always cars driving by or the sound of the furnace or some birds chirping..... and whatever else

10. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

I usually need some kind of sound to keep my mind from wandering around

11. jrnyman

jrnyman kermit

this is one of the reasons I sleep with ear plugs... that and it helps me give my ears a rest from loud noise so I don't lose as much hearing. it makes a serious difference over time.

12. Cate8

Cate8 Senior Member

I sleep best with a sleepmask. I need alot of darkness/silence. Unless it is radio just barely audible, thats kinda cozy.

13. jrnyman

jrnyman kermit

yeah me too. part of it too is that if I take them with me I can keep a similar sleep environment wherever I go.

although for some reason heavy music always puts me to sleep. started in college. I'd be studying my roommate would put on metal... zzzzzzzzzz..... gone.

14. Cate8

Cate8 Senior Member

hahaha. Yeah, it depends on my energy level. I adore afternoon naps, because I can stay up late, and get up early if I need to.

15. nesta

nesta Banned

the furnace?

count yourself lucky. my building runs on steam heat....those pipes literally sound like someone is banging tools against them all the time, and worst of all its random and not patterned. sometimes its really quiet, sometimes its like theres someone in the room i'm in or the room next to me. no pattern at all, loud, quiet, whatever, it sounds like metal banging around. i dont know why they do that, but they do.:mad:

16. jrnyman

jrnyman kermit

totally. i'm actually somewhat sleepy... could go to sleep again now... but I think I'll wait until later so I can nap. Naps are the best ever!

17. jerry420

jerry420 Doctor of everything Lifetime Supporter

i think silence speaks volumes...