Signs of the economy

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by YankNBurn, Jan 18, 2009.

1. mariecstasy

mariecstasy Enchanted

I hve not gone that far but I am thinking about it. My partner does not agree. He comes from the thinking that if you have things ther to spare you are asking for bad things.

I just want my kids to eat.

2. hippychickmommy

hippychickmommy Sugar and Spice

When I was at my local grocery store stocking up on groceries the other day, they were out of a ton of stuff, which okay, it's normal for them to be out of an item or two I might be wanting from time to time, but not like it was the other day.

I asked one of the workers there about it and she told me that they hadn't been receiving the products as scheduled. She said that a lot of the companies are really low on inventory it appears. But she did tell me the dates in which she was supposedly expecting a few of the items. Hopefully they'll get them in then.

But man, is it just me or are grocery prices continuing to climb? I can't believe how much I spent over the weekend, and didn't even leave with the amount I had anticipated. It's absolutely frustrating. I'm talking a major increase in grocery spending lately. I left the store almost wanting to cry, thinking, my goodness, this is ridiculous, here I am spending "x" amount and I know I'll be back at the store in a few days spending even more. It makes me nervous, like, okay, we're doing okay, but I don't know how much more the grocery budget can stretch before it starts causing problems. If it gets to that point, I'll be having to make more changes in what I'm purchasing, what types of meals I'm making no doubt.

I have also started stocking up way more than I ever did, buying things and storing them for later. I used to not do that, I would only buy what we needed at that exact time, but lately I've been taking advantage of stock-up sales.

Heck, the cashiers were even making comments about how high the prices have been getting, along with other shoppers, saying things like "I guess I don't want this that bad afterall" after checking out the price. How much worse will it get? Something needs to change, or all hell is going to break loose I'm telling you!

3. McLeodGanja

McLeodGanja Banned

We have stacks of new cars sitting doing nothing over here, meanwhile everyone is going on about how to have the automobile industry. Whatever happened to supply and demand. Maybe making less cars in the future is a good thing.

Why don't the government and the rich elite scum lords give us our land back, and we can all learn to grow vegetables and stuff instead of working in shitty factories?

Fuck the economy up it's arse.

4. hippiehillbilly

hippiehillbilly the old asshole

hippychickmommy,,have i got the forum for you..

http://www.frugalvillage.com/forums/

i think youll find a lot of useful information as your budget gets tighter and i know you will fit right in there..

as far as when will inflation kick in? from what i read,real across the board inflation isnt going to kick in till we hit bottom. food,fuel,essential items as others have already pointed out are immune to this deflationary cycle we are going through. they will continue to rise in price even though everything else is losing value,..

when things hit bottom and things have nowhere to go but up(sometime in 2010 barring any catastrophes) is when the real inflation will hit with a vengeance.. will it be hyperinflation?? one things for sure,its gonna seem like it..

5. YankNBurn

YankNBurn Owner

This is an easy answere....

Okay trucks worked like so, they would pick up freight from the east that was going west then when they reached the west they would transport goods back east. Now what we have here is due to job loss, company closures and ect the amount of general freight has dried up. The need to transport carparts, toys, clothes, electronics, items needed for packaging, raw materials needed for construction and ect have all but died. So nw you have grocery stores facing an issue of before only paying for loaded miles (from CA to my state is around 1800 to 2000 miles) and instead having to face the idea of paying trucks to run from NY all the way to say Salinas CA empty almost 3000 miles just to get the freight picked up and then have to pay for another 3000 loaded miles. So it now costs 2x the amount to ship. So stores cut back on slow sell items, they cut back opn heavy items (fruit and ect) so they can fit more in a truck.

6. hippiehillbilly

hippiehillbilly the old asshole

^

and thats why the cost of essential items will continue to climb even though overall we are in a deflationary spiral..

7. YankNBurn

YankNBurn Owner

Yes, and what is rather ironic that if you do some looking basic goods cost alot back even in times of plenty say the 50's 60's but it was because we as a group of people did not just buy simple stupid stuff.

I watched an old Leave it to Beaver (lol) anyway I found it rather funny to see prices at the stores and ect in the background and even funnier was the fact that these kids would try to work for money nt expect it handed to them, hope along with prices kids attitudes change too.

8. Unknown American

Unknown American Rogue Capitalist

Yes the economy is in the shits right now.

It is going to get worse.

But the true danger starts in about 2 or 3 years.

If you want to know the final warning to the collapse?

The Government and media will both announce that the hard times are over and a new dawn of unlimited prosperity is about to come forward.

When you hear that on the television you have at the most 4 months before the greatest financial collapse in history.

On the plus side this turmoil will create many wealthy people who see the opportunities that always happen during depressions.

You can also look forward to a rather large war as an attempt to boost the economy.

We live in such interesting times.

Sleep well kids.:D

9. mariecstasy

mariecstasy Enchanted

isn't that the truth!

I've always been grateful that I didn't live in a war area or depressed area...that I have had a good life....and now all the things I have been grateful to have unexposed to will be apart of all of our lives.