Siddhartha

Discussion in 'COOL Books' started by Scholar_Warrior, Aug 6, 2006.

1. Scholar_Warrior

Scholar_Warrior Be Love Now

2 people like this.
  2. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

It's a book I enjoyed - actually though, I thought 'The Glass Bead Game' 'Steppenwolf' and 'Demian' were better.

Hesse was, as Tim Leary said, a poet of the interior journey.

1 person likes this.
  3. Scholar_Warrior

Damn! Two of the three you've just mentioned have been on my list for years now... I should get around to it.

4. SvgGrdnBeauty

SvgGrdnBeauty only connect

It was a very good book...I really found it beautiful in its own way. :)

5. HoneySuckleBlue

HoneySuckleBlue Cosmic Artist

I thought it was a great illustration of following your own path. I look foreward to reading more of Hermann's books.

heehee Hermann....

6. Scholar_Warrior

heehee. Hermann. yer funny.

7. HoneySuckleBlue

:p It's just sucha contradictory, yet whole name...that and it brings to me an image of the sweetest Munster:)

[​IMG]

So what were your top favorite points from the story? There were so many good ones...

I loved that he learned more about becoming himself from living by a river with a happy man, than from following study groups with profoundly wise leaders and sewing his seeds with a hot chick, yet all of his experiences were necessary for him to appriciate each consecutive lesson.

Perhaps i already said that though in different words...:&

8. Scholar_Warrior

At first, he had the gift of a spiritual heritage, which he escaped and denied before it came time to accept that role. He chose aceticism. He became equally disillusioned with this as well, and next became the penultimate materialist and did that to the utmost, but it nearly killed his body. Finally, he simply surrendered the need for nothing and surrendered the need for anything, and at last accepted everything as it passed by.

Keen, hunh?

btw, I agree that Herman was the most loveable Munster.

9. HoneySuckleBlue

I suppose that is a good way to show the extremes people go through till they find their middle ground?

10. OleFlowerMan

OleFlowerMan Member

When I graduated from Drug Court we had to say a little something about our journy and what we had learned. I took several of my favorite books and I said something like books...blah blah. After the graduation ceremony the judge , my age, took his robe off and came over to me and ask me what was my favorite book...Wow I said, if i had to pick one it would be Siddhartha by Hesse. He said he was going to buy it that day. Happy to say I haven't seen the judge since then and that was about 3 yrs ago:) I do spend alot more time by the river these days. It used to look like a big skunky muddy missouri river.
    It's looking very special and beautiful these days the longer I watch it the more special it becomes...it's a great place to be naked too :) This pic is Me by the river. People who know me say they've never seen me look as happy as i do in this pic.

11. indydude

indydude Senior Member

Hesse is one of my favorites! 'Steppingwolf' gets better the older I get. I've read it a few times. 'Glass Bead' game is fantastic too! I just read 'Ishmal' and very happy I did. Check it out if you see it at a used book store.

12. ObjetdArte

ObjetdArte Member

i am actually rereading this book for the 5th time this summer. i loved it the first time i read it and will continue to. i do not have a lot of time for pleasure reading during the school year but i am so looking forward to this.

13. Mr.Neverland

Mr.Neverland Guest

It was an interesting book I have ever read.

14. artisteque

artisteque Member

I'm reading it right now for the third time. Fantastic book.

15. Paisley Skye

Paisley Skye Member

i'm familiar with the work but have not read it. alot of my acquaintences read it numerous times. it was really popular when i was in high-school. i will make it a point to read it soon. paisley skye.

16. Vettester

Vettester Member

In My old dayz Siddhartha was one of the books for those on the path to Cosmic Conciousness. Siddhartha added the earthy reality and pointedly displays , The incredible path before being the Buddah.