Sick child saga (or day in the life of Mama)

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by Maggie Sugar, Jan 29, 2005.

1. Maggie Sugar

Maggie Sugar Senior Member

I don't even know if I have the strength to post all this. Sage is sleeping on her Papa's lap, now, so I have an hour or so.

She got what we just thought was a cold on Monday. The fever got high, but I have taken care of sick children before and it didn't faze me. She threw up the next morning (my kids do this when they get a fever, as an alternative to seizing, so I still didn't faze) and the next morning, and the next (but not puking like the tummy bug, as she was very febrile, but not too sick for the rest of the day) Thursday night I was up with her, as the fever got to 104. I used homeopathy, motrin ect. No releif. The next morning I made her a "nest" in the living room, (she wanted to be there) so she could rest. She came to be shaking like a leaf about a half an hour later. Her hands were blue and her mouth was dusky, her fever was VERY high and she was shaking and delirious. I have NEVER seen her this sick. She has been a very healthy child, apart from colds. I called the doctor and they couldn't see her for hours, so Bear and I took off for the ER. I KNEW something was wrong.

They triaged her and gave her some tylenol and motrin, and then we waited over and hour, with her all listless and droopy. Her urine was brown. She thought she was going to puke but she didn't.

Finally, someone saw her. She was diagnosed with:
    • A double ear infection
    • dehydration
    • hyponatremia (a complication of dehydration)
    • hypercalcemia (again a comp of dehydration)
    • possible UTI
    • Possible strep
    Thank God, they decided not to do a spinal tap. She had blood cultures, urine cultures, checked her electrolytes (which were off) throat cultures (prelims look negative) ect. They they put my poor baby on an IV, which took two tries to get in. They also had to clean cerurum out of her ears so they could see the tympanic membrane, and she cried. Both ears were infected to the point where she did need antibiotics (we usually don't treat ear infections, but this one, along with the high fever it caused, may have caused the dehydration, so we decided to) She is allergic to penicillin, so they gave her Zithromax and we went home.

!:30 AM. She wakes up crying. The fever is back up to 104. I tried the Motrin again, she threw it up. I just held her until she fell asleep and washed her with cool water. We tried some tylenol and it stayed down. Fever however stayed up. She was up the rest of the night. Bear knows I have been up for nearly a week or more with sick kids so he lied with her, so I could rest (not sleep, though, I was in there every time she coughed) Next morning, 103, more Tylenol. I gave her the Antibiotic and the fever came down a little. About noon, Bear notices, as she is asleep, that she is getting hives. I had JUST called the Ped to get her lab results and now I had to call back to tell them she was having a reaction to the Zithromax.

After 5 calls to get through to someone at the Doctor's office, I DEMAND they put a nurse or doctor on the phone (don't give me that "someone will calll you back" shit!) The nurse tells me to give her benadryl, and to call 911 if she doesn't respond. Sage is irritable and itchy and I am a wreck. They prescribe a new antibx. I hold Sage.

My freind, the pharmacist tells me the antibx they prescribed is RELATED to penicllin, but maybe far enough away from it, so she won't be allergic. So, now I am freaking out. There isn't much left to try.

I have never seen this child so sick. The only time Moon was this sick was when she has Scarlet Fever at the same age, but Sunshine used to get sick a lot, but doesn't now. Lennon is like his daddy, and rarely gets sick.

She is now sitting on my lap complaining that her nose hurts.

Is there a crying "smilie?"

2. Applespark

Applespark Ingredients:*Sugar*

Oh my god Maggie that's horrible. I send her my hugs and kisses and cuddles.

3. Earthy Mama

Earthy Mama Feel my wrath... ;)

Noah has been pretty sick too, I feel for you. I really hope Sage feels better soon. Poor little girl. :( Are you going to call anyone to come over and give you and Bear a break(gradmom?)? Keep us updated on how she is, I'll send good healing thoughts Sage's way.

4. Dakota's Mom

Dakota's Mom Senior Member

It's so scary to have a sick little one. A few months ago the day care called me to say that Dakota was having seizures. When I got there to pick him up he didn't even know who I was. He was so sick. Turned out to be nothing major, but it was scary.

I hope your little one is on the mend by now. Give her lots of love.

Kathi

5. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

omg maggie, she sounds so sick! i hope the new meds work better for her.

6. BobbinBecca

BobbinBecca Member

Wow it sounds like a chapter out of "Little Women!!" Thank God we have better medicines these days for the times when nothing else is working.
    Be strong! You are doing a great job.
    Becca

7. Heat

Heat Smile, it's contagious! :) Lifetime Supporter

Been there and done that and I hope that by tomorrow your little one will be over the fever and the meds will kick in and that they will be more comfortable and that you and Dad will get some rest and stop the worry.

The part of parenthood that hurts so badly is not fixing everything as we would like to.....in a snap of the finger. :)

Hope your baby is recovering and that life in the household returns to normal.......read you all sleep soon. :)

Take care

8. Maggie Sugar

Thank you all. She is sleeping again. I am going to go check on her, see if she wants a drink (if she wakes up) and lie down with her, so she isn't scared.

I appreciate the support.

Poor Bear was near tears when they were treating her, he kept saying "I wish it was me, instead, I wish it was me." Her sister's and brother were so worried, they were actually nice to her today, LOL.

Thank you all again. Now I am going to lie down with my baby.

9. RyvreWillow

RyvreWillow Member

*hugs* i really hope she's feeling better this morning.

My kids have been sick this week too; Willow had a fever for a couple of days, and threw up on her Nana (we mistakenly thought she was over it, and stuck her in the car to go out for dinner--oops). Ryvre hasn't thrown up at all, but he hasn't been eating, and he's had a moderate fever (between 100 and 104) for 4 days and counting..if he's not better today, i'm taking him to the doc in the morning. He's quiet when he's awake, and he talks constantly while he's sleeping. It's very weird. I wouldn't worry much, but for the delusions; he's always screaming out "No Willow!" or "No Mommy!" and he asks for his Nana. I hate when kids are sick. I'm glad at least Willow didn't have it as bad, but i joke that it's because she's a woman, and you know how men are when they're sick ;) Hey, it's easier to make jokes than to be scared.

10. fevers are scary horrible things and the ones you guys have been experiencing sound paticularly horrible...Interesting that in your winter you are going through this...there were some nasty ones that happened here between winter and summer...they sound similar in terms of the puking and high fever however the ear infection is a whole different ball game...good luck with it all and just take care
    :)stephanie

11. skye*

skye* Member

******hugs*******

Im So Sorry Your Little Is Going Through This!!
    It Must Be Going Around, I Got My Baby Girl A Flu Shot This Yr And All Last Wk She Was Sick, Puking Up Even Juice, It Was So Horrible Watching Her Wail And Cry Because She Had A Fever Of 103, And Her Tummy Hurt So Bad.
    When We Did Think It Went Away Finally 3 Days Later, She Puked Up That Night And It Started All Over Again. Her Lips Got All Chapped From Dehydration And We Had To Bring Her In So She Could Get Fluid In Her:(
    They told us to give her pedialyte but she hated it and got to the point where she didnt even want her juice, so i had to force feed her pedialyte, through a dropper, wich she hated and fought me the whole time. every 15 min for the next 3 days, and at night i had to wake her up and do it. :(
    It Lasted For 8 Days But Now She Is All Better, And Now I Can Finally Relax.

Im Sure Your Little One Will Get Better Soon, I Hope She Gets Over This Stuff With A Qucikness, Beleive Me I Know How You Feel And It Feeels Awful Having Your Babe Sick, I Felt Helpless The Entire Time.

Blessings To You Both And Ill Say A Prayer To The Goddess For You...and Light My White Candle. Thats What I Did For My Little One And The Candle Stayed Lit Until She Was All Better:)

Merry Bless
    Skye

12. Maggie Sugar

Thank you, skye. It is so awful to watch your poor baby so sick.

Sage seems better today (you know things are bad when she wakes up with 102 fever and you and your man say "Oh, that's not bad!") She had her second dose of the new antibiotic, so I am watching her for allergy.

The candle is a good idea, I have been so overwelmed. Thank you so much.

13. Earthy Mama

Earthy Mama Feel my wrath... ;)

my oldest doesn't like pedlyte and the doctor told me to give him gatorade... does she like that?

14. Maggie Sugar

Not really, she doesn't like it, and although Gatorade does have potssium and magnesium in it and Gatorade doesn't have enough sodium in it. (Sage's sodium levels were dangerously low.) Gatorade is OK for adults, but it was designed for sweat from exhertion, not dehydration from illness, where you lose more sodium than from exercise sweating.

I have been "enriching" lemonade and juice boxes of Hi C (hey, that and water is all she will drink) with a little salt, so she seems better.

Now I am waiting for Sears to come about our furnace. It is not working properly, and it is 60 in here. Brrrrrrrrr.

15. skye*

skye* Member

I Ended Up Using Apple Juice With 2 Oz Of Pedialyte. Even Though Its Not Enough In My Opinion She Still Thinks Its Just Apple Juice:)
    I Still Have Her Drinking It, Because This Just Happened Last Wk.

Might Be Something That Will Work For Sage......its Good That Shes Drinking In General Though, No Matter What It Is.

Oh Ya And The Candles Still Lit For Her.....i'll Blow It Out When Shes All Better:)

16. RyvreWillow

RyvreWillow Member

I took Ryvre to the doc yesterday; I really expected the old "make sure he has plenty of fluids and rest" speech, and an antibiotic prescription (because they still seem to give that for everything), but my uncle (the doc) was extrememly conserned ("I've NEVER seen him this lethargic"), which really worried me.

My poor little guy got a shot in the butt (antibiotic), a chest x-ray, and three prescriptions (antibiotic, antihistimine, and steroid). My uncle explained to me that his left lung was full of fluid, and because of the high fever and they way his symptoms hit all at once and didn't decrease over time, he was treating it as a bacterial infection, or in other words, the early stages of pnemonia.

Between the Drs office, and picking up Ryvre's prescriptions, we were out 4 hours (in the last five days, he hasn't been awake more than 15-30 minutes at a time). We got home, and he slept for about 5 hours straight.

But...he woke up hungry! We were so excited; he was back to his old self, eating a big plate of green beans (with ketchup, of course!) talking the whole time, and when he was done, he started demanding his favorite movies, and fighting with his sister over toys. I never thought i'd be glad they were fighting, haha, but i knew he was definately better.

17. Maggie Sugar

I'm lighting a candle for you and your baby, too, Skye. Don't forget to check your PMs.

Love and hugs,

Maggie

18. Maggie Sugar

Michelle, I am sorry your babies are so sick, too. The ER nurses said they have seen a horrible outbreak of Flu, especially in old people and little children. Candle lit for your little ones, too. Ketchup and beans, breakfast of Champs, hey, whatever you can get him to eat, I am glad he is recovering. Poor baby

I will try the juice and Pedlyte. I tried it before, but she tasted it and wouldn't drink it (she is so picky) I'll use more juice this time.

Rest and health to all the babies and mama.