shows that disappeared into the black hole

Discussion in 'Classic TV' started by shaggie, Jul 23, 2006.

1. shaggie

shaggie Senior Member

I've rarely seen any of these shows in the U.S. Wonder if they buried the tapes or something. :)

Courtship of Eddie's Father
    The Monkees
    Nanny and the Professor
    Julia
    Mod Squad
    Smothers Brothers (hard to even find anything on DVD or VHS)

Maybe they'll show up on TVLand eventually. In the western U.S. there's a network called RetroTV (RTV) that is trying to bring back old shows. They are similar to TVLand. Hee Haw has disappeared also. I liked their cornball comedy. :)

2. erzebet1961

erzebet1961 Senior Member

Adam-12 and Dragnet!!!

3. SpaceTrippin

SpaceTrippin Banned

Adam-12 and Dragnet are on DejaView every day, but it might only be a Canadian channel

4. Duck

Duck quack. Lifetime Supporter

Tiny Toon Adventures

5. shaggie

shaggie Senior Member

The Monkees were on MTV briefly back in the late 90s. The ratings weren't good so they pulled it.

6. shaggie

shaggie Senior Member

DejaVu is a good channel but only Canadian.

7. HonorSeed

HonorSeed Senior Member

Smothers Brothers I liked, Peyton Place disappeared, I'm glad............but I did enjoy Twin Peaks.

8. shaggie

shaggie Senior Member

Come to think of it, Ben Casey has disappeared too.

I'd like to see some of the original Candid Camera episodes with Alan Fundt.

9. HonorSeed

HonorSeed Senior Member

man from uncle episodes id like to watch again, art linkletter with the kids interviews was fun too

10. White Feather

White Feather Senior Member

Shaggie,

"The Smothers Brothers" TV, if it ever gets to DVD, hopefully will have the scrolling cartoons on the bottom (the one where the guy's penis swung in the air and the girl's boobies ere exposed.) I fell in love with Terry Garr on that show; she played the hooker under the streetlight.

11. HonorSeed

HonorSeed Senior Member

The Three Stooges -- Merrie melodies (Merrily we roll along) -- Rocky & Bullwinkle -- Huckleberry Hound -- Mighty Mouse -- Courageous Cat & Minute Mouse -- Pink Panther -- Road Runner -- George of the jungle -- Jonny Quest -- Spider-Man -- Underdog -- Looney tunes (The merry-go-round breaks down) -- Peanuts theme (Linus & Lucy) -- Mister Roger's neighborhood (Won't you be my neighbor?) -- The odd couple -- The courtship of Eddie's father (My best friend) -- Mary Tyler Moore (Love is all around) -- Gidget -- Love, American style -- The honeymooners (You're my greatest love) -- I married Joan -- The Monkees -- The Brady bunch -- The Partridge family -- My mother the car -- Car 54, where are you? -- It's about time -- My favorite Martian -- Jeopardy (Think music)
    Hogan's heroes -- Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C. -- Rat patrol -- Twelve o'clock high -- The tunnel -- Voyage to the botton of the sea -- Sea hunt -- Daktari -- Tarzan -- The adventures of Robin Hood -- Rawhide -- Bat Masterson -- Maverick -- Wagon train -- Have gun will travel (The ballad of Paladin) -- The Virginian -- The rebel -- Peter Gunn -- Route 66 -- I spy -- The saint -- Hawaiian eye -- The Green Hornet -- Outer limits -- Dark shadows -- Ben Casey -- Medical center -- The NBC mystery movie -- ABC's wide world of sports -- The Jackie Gleason show (Melancholy serenade) -- Smothers Brothers comedy hour -- Monty Python's flying circus.
    The Cisco Kid -- Frontier gentleman -- Frontier town -- Gunsmoke -- Have gun, will travel -- Hopalong Cassidy -- The Lone Ranger -- Red Ryder -- The six shooter -- Tales of the Texas Rangers.

12. Mouse47

Mouse47 Member

The Untouchables (they are available on VHS tapes).

13. shaggie

shaggie Senior Member

There was another old one from the late 60s that had Tom Sawyer, Huck Finn, and a girl. I think her name was Becki. They were real kids but dubbed into a cartoon setting. Not even sure what the name of the show was.

Some of these shows could come out on DVD but there are still legal squabbles between various groups over who owns the rights, so they never make it to DVD.

14. PsyGrunge

PsyGrunge Full Fractal Force

The Gogs (those plasticine cavemen) fooking classical gas, mate.

15. shaggie

shaggie Senior Member

The show I referred to earlier was called The New Adventures of Huck Finn. It was shown occassionally on the Banana Splits show.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0062593/usercomments

It was one of the more creative shows of Hanna Barbera but lasted only 5 months.

16. shaggie

shaggie Senior Member

Make Me Laugh was another from the late 70s that never came back. I think they did some remakes of it but I've never seen the original re-aired. That was appararently the first national show Gallagher was on. There were a number of other screwball comedians on that show, including Roger & Roger, Wayne & Shuster, and Bill Kirchenbauer.

17. Flight From Ashiya

Flight From Ashiya Senior Member

Reading all those old t.v. shows makes me wonder how distributors differentiate then select some shows in preference to others?.

To the best of my knowledge episodes of these top entertainment classic shows are not currently available on DVD:

'Hawaii Five-O' 'Astronut' 'Peter Gunn' 'The Rowan & Martin Laugh In' 'Taxi' 'The Banana Splits' 'Marine Boy' 'The Magic Roundabout' 'Batman' 'Get Smart' 'Land Of The Giants' 'Top Of The Pops' .

18. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

The Sword of Justice "It's rapier marks the end" :)

Hotwater

19. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

I absolutely miss Night Court, that show was hilarious. I also miss Outer Limits and X Files. (ok now I feel like a nerd.)

20. SpaceTrippin

SpaceTrippin Banned

One Day at a Time